Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Private Chat Rooms

AuthorMessage
OfficerBarbrady - The Evil Within gives me lots of spooks. I love it.
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.873042 completed games(Includes owned DLC)2,655 posts
Last post: Today at 22:08
Posted on 25 April 11 at 00:03
Sorry if this has been brought up before. I typed the exact title of this thread into the search and nothing came up, so I assume that it hasnt been mentioned.

Anyways, I think that there should be a feature to allow private chat rooms where you can invite people and stuff. It would be a great way to organize gaming sessions and whatnot between large groups of people.
Take sledge hammers and go "crash, boom, bang" on things.
Panzeronfire
Panzeronfire - Lets see if chaos on DW8 is any harder than previous games.
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8087Achievement Completion Percentage: 94.69% (Includes owned DLC) - 22 more achievements required to reach 95%102 posts
Last post: 07 May 13 at 13:13
Posted on 25 April 11 at 00:35
+1
Actually, you'll find that my Panzer IS on fire.
Hoffman
Hoffman - Debating on getting the Xbone.  wait for Halo edition in November?
TrueAchievements Community Events OrganizerTrueAchievements Moderator8,075 posts
Last post: 04 Sep at 02:16
Posted on 25 April 11 at 02:16
You mean like creating a boosting session and then joining a party on XBL? wink
Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
Patsreds
Patsreds
TrueAchievements ModeratorTrueAchievements Reported Content Evaluator4,944 posts
Last post: 24 Nov 12 at 15:24
Posted on 25 April 11 at 04:49
This sounds like a good idea to me, you could do it simply by adding a few more chat rooms, say for example having a total of 5 chat rooms.

Then you could have the first 2 as always being public, then have 3 ones which can become private. You could make a system where you need to reserve/book them in advance, or a way that if someone enters the room and its empty, they can claim it, mark it private so others can't join, then invite others they wish to invite (e.g. others in the session or just whomever they wish to talk to). Or you could set up both systems to run together, and you can claim the room if it hasn't been booked.

Might be more trouble than it's worth, but I wouldn't imagine 5 chat rooms would require much more effort to maintain, server wise. (although I could be wrong..)

Maybe something to consider when the site grows a bit more, but I think the they would get good use out of it.
Spilner
Spilner
TrueAchievements Bug Reports ManagerSite Help Assistant Manager14,597 posts
Last post: Today at 23:14
Posted on 25 April 11 at 10:24
Hoffman said:You mean like creating a boosting session and then joining a party on XBL? winkExactly my thought.
http://bit.ly/9VPrSA Games i own, want help on any PM me.
Posted on 25 April 11 at 16:32
Hoffman said:You mean like creating a boosting session and posting comments in its thread? winkFTFY
CoMaestro
CoMaestro - YAY just bought the Xbox One. Some guy sold it with 7 games that I hate. But hey, two controllers :D
60,535 TrueAchievement Points605 posts
Last post: Today at 12:48
Posted on 25 April 11 at 17:53
OR they just make the xbox live party unlimited and make the Y button to mute somebody. easier and more usefull i guess
JMJimmy
JMJimmy - I think life is finally giving me time to get back into gaming. Woohoo!
263 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 43.91% (Includes owned DLC) - 24 more achievements required to reach 44%3,981 posts
Last post: 22 Oct at 02:37
Posted on 25 April 11 at 18:36
Rather than the current buggy chat system why not just integrate an IRC chat system that way there's all the options anyone could want for chat.
Life, it's funny that way.
AndyLSimmons
AndyLSimmons
TrueAchievements ModeratorAchievement Completion Percentage: 93.16% (Includes owned DLC) - 24 more achievements required to reach 94%7,699 posts
Last post: 22 Oct at 15:14
Posted on 25 April 11 at 18:39
JMJimmy said:Rather than the current buggy chat system why not just integrate an IRC chat system that way there's all the options anyone could want for chat.Buggy? How?
JMJimmy
JMJimmy - I think life is finally giving me time to get back into gaming. Woohoo!
263 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 43.91% (Includes owned DLC) - 24 more achievements required to reach 44%3,981 posts
Posted on 25 April 11 at 18:42
AndyLSimmons said:JMJimmy said:Rather than the current buggy chat system why not just integrate an IRC chat system that way there's all the options anyone could want for chat.Buggy? How?It frequently spits out 6-10 lines of the same thing, drops people from chat when they're idling (necessity of the style of chat system more than a bug), and feature wise it's pretty sparse.
AndyLSimmons
AndyLSimmons
TrueAchievements ModeratorAchievement Completion Percentage: 93.16% (Includes owned DLC) - 24 more achievements required to reach 94%7,699 posts
Posted on 25 April 11 at 18:47
JMJimmy said:It frequently spits out 6-10 lines of the same thing, drops people from chat when they're idling (necessity of the style of chat system more than a bug), and feature wise it's pretty sparse.I'll give you the repeated lines but I have not known it to kick people for idling, I have been in there for a whole day without saying a thing.

As for the features, what sort of things do you mean? Personally, I don't think it needs any more.
JMJimmy
Posted on 25 April 11 at 18:58, Edited on 25 April 11 at 19:04 by JMJimmy
AndyLSimmons said:JMJimmy said:It frequently spits out 6-10 lines of the same thing, drops people from chat when they're idling (necessity of the style of chat system more than a bug), and feature wise it's pretty sparse.I'll give you the repeated lines but I have not known it to kick people for idling, I have been in there for a whole day without saying a thing.

As for the features, what sort of things do you mean? Personally, I don't think it needs any more.
Also doesn't allow certain symbols (probably using encodeURI instead of encodeURIcomponent much like the forums can't process > < properly)

Feature wise: auto responders, permanent mute/ignore, private chat, multiple chat channels, colours, scripting, etc. It's a great little chat system but mIRC has had decades to develop just about every feature you could possibly want in a chat room :)

Edit: Oh, and on your screen it'll continue chat all day but on others it'll appear that you left after so many minutes since the server can't tell if you've closed your browser page or not it assumes you've left.
AndyLSimmons
AndyLSimmons
Posted on 25 April 11 at 19:13
JMJimmy said:Also doesn't allow certain symbols (probably using encodeURI instead of encodeURIcomponent much like the forums can't process > < properly)

Feature wise: auto responders, permanent mute/ignore, private chat, multiple chat channels, colours, scripting, etc. It's a great little chat system but mIRC has had decades to develop just about every feature you could possibly want in a chat room :)
Fair enough, some of those features would come in useful.

JMJimmy said:Edit: Oh, and on your screen it'll continue chat all day but on others it'll appear that you left after so many minutes since the server can't tell if you've closed your browser page or not it assumes you've left.When I posted after about 10 hours, I had been in there all day as people commented on my inactivity.
JMJimmy
Posted on 25 April 11 at 19:16, Edited on 25 April 11 at 19:17 by JMJimmy
AndyLSimmons said:JMJimmy said:Edit: Oh, and on your screen it'll continue chat all day but on others it'll appear that you left after so many minutes since the server can't tell if you've closed your browser page or not it assumes you've left.When I posted after about 10 hours, I had been in there all day as people commented on my inactivity.hrm - maybe if there's a failed callback? not sure, haven't really looked at the chat room code. I should really track down the encodeURI issue though... I fixed the one in the friend feed but the one in the forums is really bugging me. (I like doing arrows :)
i am m0j0 j0j0 - my 2 games i have traded from D4 B1GD0G still aint turned up yet god how slow is the post from aus
32,093 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements site super-promoter28 posts
Last post: 07 Sep 11 at 18:20
Posted on 25 April 11 at 19:46
PM'ing people would be an idea if you want to setup a boosting session that could be an idea
Jyejitsu - So the xbox one is coming the third quarter of the year 2014 for all the other countries...
Donated to TrueAchievements.com1,910 posts
Last post: 12 Dec 13 at 03:48
Posted on 25 April 11 at 19:55
IRC owns every way of chatting with multiple people at the same time. Most web based chat rooms are sucky as hell.

About AndyLSimmons you probably won't get kciked cause you are a moderator. I've been a few times on the chat thingie and I get annoyed by it cause if I'm doing something else on my laptop for 10 mins I get kicked out of the chat room and that stupid reconnect button pops up.

Anyway a thing like this can be idealized with IRC. else yeah xbox live parties ;o or the comment system.
Posted on 25 April 11 at 19:58
JMJimmy said:Feature wise: auto responders, permanent mute/ignore, private chat, multiple chat channels, colours, scripting, etcI appreciate the lack of auto responders, mutes, colors and scripting. Follows the same clutter-free philosophy as the forums.
Spilner
Spilner
TrueAchievements Bug Reports ManagerSite Help Assistant Manager14,597 posts
Last post: Today at 23:14
Posted on 25 April 11 at 20:03
N0RVY said:JMJimmy said:Feature wise: auto responders, permanent mute/ignore, private chat, multiple chat channels, colours, scripting, etcI appreciate the lack of auto responders, mutes, colors and scripting. Follows the same clutter-free philosophy as the forums.+1
http://bit.ly/9VPrSA Games i own, want help on any PM me.
XI AlphaMale IX - What's your favorite soundtrack in a game?
Achievement Completion Percentage: 93.74% (Includes owned DLC) - 33 more achievements required to reach 94%283 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,504 posts
Last post: 14 Aug at 05:12
Posted on 25 April 11 at 20:20
Kinky.

I'm not being helpful, am I...
JMJimmy
Posted on 25 April 11 at 21:01, Edited on 25 April 11 at 21:01 by JMJimmy
N0RVY said:JMJimmy said:Feature wise: auto responders, permanent mute/ignore, private chat, multiple chat channels, colours, scripting, etcI appreciate the lack of auto responders, mutes, colors and scripting. Follows the same clutter-free philosophy as the forums.I'd say the forums have most of the features one could want - emoticons, quoting, excellent site integration, signatures, etc. Maybe not some of the more extensive personalization options, html, full ubb code but a lot more than chat for sure.