Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Badges for helping around the site

AuthorMessage
Kennansoft
Kennansoft - Not Enough Sandwiches
161 solutionsTrueAchievements Pro user127 posts
Last post: 18 Dec 12 at 21:18
Posted on 13 July 11 at 06:38
I would like to see badges on people's profiles for helping around the site in other than the main ways... Things such as adding a picture to an achievement missing it/submitting a secret achievement, little things such as that. Just give those that help a little extra motivation to do so in future outside of just making sure the images aren't black and whitesmile
Not Enough Sandwiches
RadiantViper
RadiantViper - Destiny is better than I expected, it's got lots to offer to people like me who were never huge Halo fans :D
Achievement Completion Percentage: 82.49% (Includes owned DLC) - 67 more achievements required to reach 83%215 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,379 posts
Last post: 07 Jul at 22:28
Posted on 14 July 11 at 13:32
Yeah, I was thinking about this. Something to encourage people to put the effort in to fill out those tiles. But how would the badge work? Like, you get points for every tile you submit or something?
Jayour
Jayour - Like Robben I'm a notorious diver. I promise though that I'll never dive again.
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 529 out of 245,934441 completed games(Includes owned DLC)5,514 posts
Last post: 17 Jul at 20:11
Posted on 14 July 11 at 15:18
The problem with this is people care a lot about the badges and seen as how a lot of users strive toward having all the highest badges available people would end up fighting to get a high count on this new badge. It's a similar idea to the idea of a "suggested news" badge, would everyone who suggested the piece get the badge count? if so that kind of voids the idea of crediting someone for helping out, that's just patting everyone on the back for doing the same thing... but to not give it to everyone and do it on a first come first credited basis would lead to a lot of bitterness and make this kind of thing into a competition, which is also a bad thing.

I also don't think that a badge is needed for this kind of thing, if you're happy linking in the missing bits of game info which is a pretty selfless act, I don't you'd need a badge to say; "Hey, I help out and all kinds of stuff on the site... and it's selfless... for this badge".
Posted on 14 July 11 at 15:38
Jayour said: It's a similar idea to the idea of a "suggested news" badge, would everyone who suggested the piece get the badge count?This is kind of a misdirection, because you could easily credit someone for used information, rather than simply submitted information. That said, I don't think we need new badges.
Jayour
Jayour - Like Robben I'm a notorious diver. I promise though that I'll never dive again.
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 529 out of 245,934441 completed games(Includes owned DLC)5,514 posts
Posted on 14 July 11 at 16:27
N0RVY said:Jayour said: It's a similar idea to the idea of a "suggested news" badge, would everyone who suggested the piece get the badge count?This is kind of a misdirection, because you could easily credit someone for used information, rather than simply submitted information. That said, I don't think we need new badges.I was working off of the suggested news that was used ideal.
Posted on 14 July 11 at 16:36
I believe that if you want to help out around here and you are not staff or a helper, you should do it for the sake of helping, rather than another shiny trinket on a homepage. Suggested news and Walkthroughs are already credited and helping out with achievement information can be viewed in thread(s) itself.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper - Destiny is better than I expected, it's got lots to offer to people like me who were never huge Halo fans :D
Achievement Completion Percentage: 82.49% (Includes owned DLC) - 67 more achievements required to reach 83%215 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,379 posts
Posted on 14 July 11 at 19:49
I just think there should be something to encourage people, because a fair number of games remain greyed out or with lots of non-updated secrets, and no one who has them seems to care.
Posted on 14 July 11 at 20:20
Usually no one seems to care because the people who have them aren't that active on here. Take link hidden for instance. There is barely information other than what xbox.com gives, no votes, no solutions and no forum posts. Simply because no one who owns that game is active, just signed up. A badge isn't going to help for anything like this.
Hoffman
Hoffman - Debating on getting the Xbone.  wait for Halo edition in November?
TrueAchievements Community Events OrganizerTrueAchievements Moderator8,074 posts
Last post: 11 Jun at 20:41
Posted on 14 July 11 at 20:22
RadiantViper said:I just think there should be something to encourage people, because a fair number of games remain greyed out or with lots of non-updated secrets, and no one who has them seems to care.An EXTREMELY large number of our user base uses this site for only stat tracking, boosting sessions, and solutions. The people that use the forums regularly are responsible for making all changes, and they are doing a pretty good job of it over here: Updated Secret Achievements

If you read the threads, you'll see that there are alot of submissions.
Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
RadiantViper
Posted on 14 July 11 at 20:30, Edited on 14 July 11 at 20:31 by RadiantViper
I know there's a lot of submissions ... I make a lot of them myself. There's still a lot of games that are mostly or completely greyed out, with no secret details. And I think a badge would do something, it's kind of sad that you're all just giving up on improving the site at all on this.
Jayour
Posted on 14 July 11 at 20:58
RadiantViper said:I know there's a lot of submissions ... I make a lot of them myself. There's still a lot of games that are mostly or completely greyed out, with no secret details. And I think a badge would do something, it's kind of sad that you're all just giving up on improving the site at all on this.People not agreeing with your opinion on a matter doesn't equate to people giving up on improving the site, it just means not everyone believes introducing a new badge to the site would improve it that much.
RadiantViper
Posted on 14 July 11 at 21:10, Edited on 14 July 11 at 21:15 by RadiantViper
Never said that. But everyone's basically just going "No that wouldn't work." Instead of "No that wouldn't work, maybe this would". If the badge wouldn't work, what do you guys think would? Even on more obscure titles, there's lots of different people who have them - I doubt it's impossible to sway at least one of them to take the 5 minutes to help out.
Posted on 14 July 11 at 21:36
It seems like users give as much into the site as much as users take out of it. If the staff want more staff, or they want more users to contribute they'd say so. Nothing needs to be improved in this area. If users want to help, or staff want users to help, it will happen.
RadiantViper
Posted on 14 July 11 at 21:40, Edited on 14 July 11 at 21:41 by RadiantViper
Of course nothing needs to be improved, you could say that about many things on this site. That's a horrible attitude to have, though - you should want the site to be better, not be ok with the bare minimum. You're being incredibly unhelpful.
Posted on 14 July 11 at 22:34
[shrug] I'm okay with whats already here. But putting a badge for the sake of being helpful seems more a conflict of interest than anything else. You're going to get a few who will become destructive for the sake of a number. Take the suggest news badge, I myself use that a lot more than what I think is "average", to the point where I am sure the head newshounds are already pretty annoyed by me. More people like me isn't a good thing.

I'm all for encouragement but I don't see a badge doing more help than harm.
Hoffman
Hoffman - Debating on getting the Xbone.  wait for Halo edition in November?
TrueAchievements Community Events OrganizerTrueAchievements Moderator8,074 posts
Last post: 11 Jun at 20:41
Posted on 14 July 11 at 22:52
RadiantViper said:Never said that. But everyone's basically just going "No that wouldn't work." Instead of "No that wouldn't work, maybe this would". If the badge wouldn't work, what do you guys think would? Even on more obscure titles, there's lots of different people who have them - I doubt it's impossible to sway at least one of them to take the 5 minutes to help out.This is already an idea that's been shot down, because Content wants the site to be entirely user submitted, but it would be the best way to do it: Create an account with 0 GS. Add the greyed achievements. Submit to TA. Delete said achievements. It would literally take about 15 minutes per game, maybe longer if you didn't know what you were doing with a profile editor.
Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
dropK1CK ninJA - THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!
TrueAchievements ModeratorAchievement Completion Percentage: 95.15% (Includes owned DLC) - 61 more achievements required to reach 96%5,890 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 23:34
Posted on 14 July 11 at 22:58
While a good intentioned idea, as has been pointed out, I think it'd created too much unneeded drama and conflict. We are in no shortage of people who are willing to help and provide that information anyways.
Kennansoft
Posted on 15 July 11 at 06:40
tsunamishadow said:It seems like users give as much into the site as much as users take out of it. If the staff want more staff, or they want more users to contribute they'd say so. Nothing needs to be improved in this area. If users want to help, or staff want users to help, it will happen.I agree with you there... This is one of my favorite sites on the net so anyway I can help I do but I just think it would add a nice touch. I always see the same people posting into missing titles and alike but not every game is played by just these people so it leaves many games such as http://www.trueachievements.com/HALFMINUTE-HERO-SMNC-xb....htm with over 1,500 gamers and only 4 achievements with pictures... I understand the fights that could ensue but it would be a 1st come 1st serve, if you posted it 1st then you are getting the badge or better yet make a form that could almost automate the proccess after an admin okays it
Not Enough Sandwiches
albajos
albajos - It's not a bug, it's a feature.
397,133 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Site Rank: 1,228 out of 245,9343,764 posts
Last post: 17 Jun at 12:45
Posted on 15 July 11 at 09:22
Kennansoft said:http://www.trueachievements.com/HALFMINUTE-HERO-SMNC-xb....htm with over 1,500 gamers and only 4 achievements with pictures... 36 have completed it. They are the only ones that have all tiles.
All work and no play makes Jos a dull boy.
Kennansoft
Posted on 15 July 11 at 09:42, Edited on 15 July 11 at 09:42 by Kennansoft
albajos said:Kennansoft said:http://www.trueachievements.com/HALFMINUTE-HERO-SMNC-xb....htm with over 1,500 gamers and only 4 achievements with pictures... 36 have completed it. They are the only ones that have all tiles.Okay, bad example but most achievements have 100+ People with them and noone has filled it in, actually F.E.A.R. 3 is a much better example, achievements with 1,500+ gamers are still blank on top of that secret achievements with 1,500+ gamers again
I'm not saying everyone would jump at it but some people might find it a bit more encouraging to do so.
Or as a possible alternative get TA to send a message out to those who do have these achievements and then reward them for helping out (In the case of it being a truley difficult achievement such as the ones with larger Ratios such as in http://www.trueachievements.com/DEATHSMILES-PAL-xbox-360.htm
Not Enough Sandwiches