Bug Reports Forum

Found something that doesn't work right? Let us know and we'll fix it

Site Advert Issues

AuthorMessage
TrueAchievement - We made the first ever gaming community console app. Who'd have thought it?
TrueAchievements AdministratorTrueAchievements Pro user14,126 posts
Last post: Today at 12:55
Posted on 25 August 11 at 05:44, Edited on 09 February 13 at 11:59 by drabik
Hi all

as some of you would have noticed (the UK users that aren't Pro Account holders especially), we've been trialing some new sorts of advertising on the site.

These are called site skins, and they cover the left and right areas outside of the main content.

Due to the way they are dynamically added to the page, their positioning can be tricky. I'm hoping we've now sorted most of the problems out, but if you are experiencing any issues with them then please post in here.

Please include:

- your browser (IE, chrome, firefox etc)
- the major version number (IE7, firefox 4 etc)
- your region (US, UK etc)
- the ad you're having problems with
- what the actual problem is

And I'll do my best to get them sorted. These ads, although infrequent, should allow us to afford some better server equipment so they are worth trying to get right.

Thanks all!
Are You EXPd
Are You EXPd - TA fucked for anyone else? it wont scan my cheevs... anyway only one more trials evo cheev, scenic route with no faults
Achievement Completion Percentage: 61.01% (Includes owned DLC) - 34 more achievements required to reach 62%TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.4709270 posts
Last post: 18 Mar 12 at 17:06
Posted on 25 August 11 at 05:54
i was having trouble with the Battlefield 3 ad overlapping the site content. im using firefox 4, and im in the UK

took a screenshot to demonstrate: http://tinypic.com/r/2n6f7t1/7

incidentally the problem went away when i (by suggestion of tsunamishadow) disabled context menus (Options - Options - Content - Enable Javascript (ticked) Advanced - Disable context menus (unticked))
Ignore me!
Posted on 25 August 11 at 07:59, Edited on 25 August 11 at 15:13 by AraknidX
Are You EXPd said:i was having trouble with the Battlefield 3 ad overlapping the site content. im using firefox 4, and im in the UK
took a screenshot to demonstrate: link hidden
Same problem here but in Chrome.
I'm in the UK too.
TheEpicPandemic - Its unfortunate, but I think for now at least, I am done with achievements.
289,750 TrueAchievement Points302 posts
Last post: 25 Sep 12 at 20:27
Posted on 25 August 11 at 08:51
Im having the problem with Chrome.

Im in the UK and its the battlefield ad that covers half the screen for me :(
Panzeronfire
Panzeronfire - Lets see if chaos on DW8 is any harder than previous games.
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8164Achievement Completion Percentage: 94.69% (Includes owned DLC) - 22 more achievements required to reach 95%102 posts
Last post: 07 May 13 at 13:13
Posted on 25 August 11 at 13:35
same for me but with IE9
Actually, you'll find that my Panzer IS on fire.
General Arcane
Achievement Completion Percentage: 81.57% (Includes owned DLC) - 20 more achievements required to reach 82%TrueAchievements Pro user761 posts
Last post: 12 Aug at 14:56
Posted on 25 August 11 at 15:26
I'm having the same problem, with IE9, in the UK. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's always on "My Threads" page, and covers the icon that indicates which ones have had new posts.

Also as a result of it, the site seems to have been switched to its narrow format.

I assume this is related, but it's not a problem exactly, but the wide advert at the top of the page, and the one immediately below my TA gamercard are both always for Battlefield 3. The one further down the page seems to alternate between Vodafone and an advert for TA Pro (mainly Vodafone)
Feel free to PM me about the GTA IV walkthrough, or any problems you're having with the game.
imnotGEOFF
imnotGEOFF
221,336 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements site super-promoter244 posts
Last post: 08 Aug at 11:47
Posted on 25 August 11 at 15:41, Edited on 25 August 11 at 15:42 by imnotGEOFF
im having problems with battlefield 3 ad on chrome,its overlapping on the left and right sides
LGS I Hitman
LGS I Hitman
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 2,527 out of 262,902Achievement Completion Percentage: 70.72% (Includes owned DLC) - 37 more achievements required to reach 71%1,452 posts
Last post: 29 Oct at 15:12
Posted on 25 August 11 at 17:04
It keeps going to narrow settings on IE9, im in the UK.
Posted on 25 August 11 at 17:22
Right, I've done a simple test on all the major browsers on my computer. One thing I noticed is that resolution and the size of the window affects the skin position, as do some addons if you are signed in or out.
All the browsers were reset to factory settings with cache, cookies, add-ons and plug-ins on a Windows 7 computer at 1440x900

Firefox 6

Top ad and side ad are static.
1-2 pixel skin overlap.
Skin only loads the second time you load up the webpage in Private Browsing.

Internet Explorer 9

Top ad and side ad run.
1-2 pixel skin overlap.
Skin only loads the second time you load up the webpage in InPrivate Browsing.

Opera 11

Top ad and side ad run.
1-2 pixel skin overlap.
Skin only loads the second time you load up the webpage in Private Browsing.

Chrome 13

Top ad and side ad run.
1-2 pixel skin overlap.
Skin only loads the second time you load up the webpage in Incognito.

Safari 5

Top ad and side ad run.
No skin at all.
The effect seems to be different with other settings as Safari and Opera seemed very different (much like Are You EXPd) before a reset.

So a full factory reset of the browser may fix it...temporarily.
Tank Force UK
Tank Force UK
336,895 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.5193610 posts
Last post: 19 Oct at 11:24
Posted on 25 August 11 at 22:23
not a problem or anything but just wondering how long will these BF3 adverts will be on ?
TrueAchievement - We made the first ever gaming community console app. Who'd have thought it?
TrueAchievements AdministratorTrueAchievements Pro user14,126 posts
Last post: Today at 12:55
Posted on 26 August 11 at 07:16
Tank Force UK said:not a problem or anything but just wondering how long will these BF3 adverts will be on ?Just till Sunday.

Everything should be resolved now, there's a new US one starting today as well.

As I say, these are rare campaigns and if they help to pay for a brand new server then it's worth doing.
Cheesy Skidmark - What's the sketch?
110,133 TrueAchievement Points615 posts
Last post: 26 Nov 13 at 08:39
Posted on 26 August 11 at 21:16
Yeah,Battlefield 3 advert did overlap left and right sides,ok now though.
marky the parky
OfficerBarbrady - Am I going crazy or did the background shade of the Dark Theme on this site get darker?
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.891844 completed games(Includes owned DLC)2,661 posts
Last post: 28 Oct at 23:49
Posted on 26 August 11 at 21:18
The ad made my layout to New but small. The ad is gone for me now but it wont let me change it back to New.
When life gives Chuck Norris lemons, he makes orange juice
WeisGuy9
WeisGuy9 - Daily dose of boobs. You're welcome. Oh, mildly NSFW.
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 1,182 out of 262,902TrueAchievements Pro user6,485 posts
Last post: 12 Aug at 10:00
Posted on 27 August 11 at 10:13, Edited on 27 August 11 at 10:13 by WeisGuy9
$10 eliminates all of these problems.

Just saying.
Not polite, patient, or politically correct.
OfficerBarbrady - Am I going crazy or did the background shade of the Dark Theme on this site get darker?
Posted on 27 August 11 at 16:48
I shouldnt have to pay for the site to work properly
Maelstorm95
Maelstorm95 - Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.
180,497 TrueAchievement Points107 completed games(Includes owned DLC)634 posts
Last post: 02 Jan at 23:16
Posted on 27 August 11 at 22:12
OfficerBarbrady said:I shouldnt have to pay for the site to work properlyThe sites working fine...
For paying you get better benefits, if not paying you still get a perfectly working site. Every site has it's little errors, but that happens to everyone
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/PNFS/petition.html
Posted on 27 August 11 at 22:13
if parts of the site are getting cut off by the ads then it isnt working properly
WeisGuy9
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 1,182 out of 262,902TrueAchievements Pro user6,485 posts
Posted on 27 August 11 at 23:35, Edited on 27 August 11 at 23:38 by WeisGuy9
OfficerBarbrady said:I shouldnt have to pay for the site to work properlyWhy shouldn't you have to pay for the site to work properly. If you are using it for free, does that somehow imply that Rich and the many site volunteers owe you something for nothing? If you're not paying anything for the service then you take what you get. Rich has generously offered to fix these problems for people that choose to use the site without supporting the site. I wouldn't complain too much.
Are You EXPd
Are You EXPd - TA fucked for anyone else? it wont scan my cheevs... anyway only one more trials evo cheev, scenic route with no faults
Achievement Completion Percentage: 61.01% (Includes owned DLC) - 34 more achievements required to reach 62%TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.4709270 posts
Last post: 18 Mar 12 at 17:06
Posted on 28 August 11 at 00:46
WeisGuy9 said:OfficerBarbrady said:I shouldnt have to pay for the site to work properlyWhy shouldn't you have to pay for the site to work properly. If you are using it for free, does that somehow imply that Rich and the many site volunteers owe you something for nothing? If you're not paying anything for the service then you take what you get. Rich has generously offered to fix these problems for people that choose to use the site without supporting the site. I wouldn't complain too much.we support the site by looking at the ads, thats why the ads are there! the ads arent there to try and force us into going pro. we could just use adblocker and never look at an ad, even without becoming pro. but we dont.

its in rich's interest to keep the ads working and the site working properly for everyone to maximise revenue. so get off your damn high horse
Ignore me!
WeisGuy9
Posted on 28 August 11 at 03:34, Edited on 28 August 11 at 03:38 by WeisGuy9
Are You EXPd said:WeisGuy9 said:OfficerBarbrady said:I shouldnt have to pay for the site to work properlyWhy shouldn't you have to pay for the site to work properly. If you are using it for free, does that somehow imply that Rich and the many site volunteers owe you something for nothing? If you're not paying anything for the service then you take what you get. Rich has generously offered to fix these problems for people that choose to use the site without supporting the site. I wouldn't complain too much.we support the site by looking at the ads, thats why the ads are there! the ads arent there to try and force us into going pro. we could just use adblocker and never look at an ad, even without becoming pro. but we dont.

its in rich's interest to keep the ads working and the site working properly for everyone to maximise revenue. so get off your damn high horse
I'm not saying you need to get a Pro membership. I'm saying if the ads bother you then $10 will get rid of them. If the ads don't bother you then please click away. If you think that is being "on a high horse" then you are way too easily offended. I'd be willing to bet a month's pay that there is no other website that you visit regularly where they give two shits whether the ads are blocking your view or not.