Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

NBA 2K11 Servers To Remain Running Until 2012

• Nexus GruntNexus Grunt162,207
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:17
    2K Sports postpone planned server closure

Recently we reported that 2K Sports had announced that would be closing down their servers for their https://www.trueachievements.com/NBA-2K11-xbox-360.htm title.

However, recently a short post has quietly appeared on the 2K Sports news page confirming a reversal in this decision and announcing that the servers would be remain available until April, 2012.

It is worth making a note of the final paragraph in the statement. With the 2K10 and earlier titles, a number of features on Xbox LIVE will still be available, including match making and leaderboards. This would imply that those related online achievements should still be attainable, but that has not been confirmed at this time.

As outlined in the NBA 2K11 manual, online multiplayer support for NBA 2K11 was scheduled to be turned off in November 2011, but 2K Sports has decided to leave servers for NBA 2K11 on until April, 2012.

Here is the list of games that are currently functional as of 12/1/2011:

NBA 2K12 and NBA 2K11 / MLB 2K11
    NHL 2K11 (Wii), NHL 2K10 (360/PS3)
    All Last Edition Titles (Top Spin 4, BIGS 2, etc.)
    All Series With No Revision - NFL 2K5, APF 2K8, CH 2K8

For the discontinued 2K10 and prior 360 titles, match making and leaderboards on LIVE will still be available, but the additional features we offer (leagues, sports ticker, lobbies) will not be available.
    If you're a fan of the 2K Sports titles listed, it might be worth trying to get those online achievements wrapped up before the closure in April just to be certain.

External link: http://www.2ksports.com/news/2ksports/416

Credit goes to Hoffman for this story
  • Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:22
    Very nice. I need to clean up the online in MLB 2K11 though.
  • Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:28
    Great new.
  • Selkirk16Selkirk16439,135
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:37
    A PR disaster for 2k Sports over the whole fiasco.
  • sm182sm182841,363
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:51
    Selkirk16 said:
    For a company to change it's mind like this I can only imagine the amount of complaint they must have received.
  • sC x BoOgEyMaNsC x BoOgEyMaN1,406,320
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:57
    thank god, skyrim is gonna take up all my time for a looong time right now
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 November 11 at 11:58
    sm182 said:
    Selkirk16 said:
    For a company to change it's mind like this I can only imagine the amount of complaint they must have received.
    hmm not sure about that , just think of the amount EA must get and they dont do the same kind of thing

or maybe your right and EA just truly dont give a crap about complaints they receive

hmm the 2nd sounds more likely so ur probably correct
  • Chunkeh MunkehChunkeh Munkeh4,642,008
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 12:04
    Top spin 3 is still very much open...wonder when that will close. Im sure number 2 is open as well
  • Posted on 11 November 11 at 12:25
    Out of curiosity, none of these are Project $10 titles are they? We should be getting close to that time soon...
  • Zacry072Zacry0721,541,617
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 12:36
    I just don't like it when companies shut down their servers, period. There are plenty of old ass games that are still able to be played online.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 November 11 at 12:57
    Zacry072 said:
    I just don't like it when companies shut down their servers, period. There are plenty of old ass games that are still able to be played online.
    Agreed!toast
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 November 11 at 13:15
    2k and ea release a hugh number of popular titles per year that require servers, they shut the old ones down to open up more space for the new ones and get you off the old ones...
  • NanNan265,936
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 13:29
    I'm tired of server shutdowns and gamers making excuses for them. If a company can't keep a game servers open (mainly sports titles) because of a 'server space', maybe they shouldn't release the same exact game every year. We really don't need to pay 60$ every year for a sports game, that is almost the exact same as the one that came the year before it, just to have it servers shut down within months.

Just make a good sports game and keep updating it's rosters.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 November 11 at 13:32
    no shit they shouldn't close servers if the game has dlc and was like $100 they should have at least a 3-4yr open and no dlc
  • Posted on 11 November 11 at 13:52
    Thank jesus
  • litepinklitepink306,867
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 14:12
    Torhu Hybrid said:
    Out of curiosity, none of these are Project $10 titles are they? We should be getting close to that time soon...
    No, because there is no such thing from 2K Sports wink
  • Posted on 11 November 11 at 14:20
    i thought only EA did their own servers?!?!
    ok ok i've got one....... whats the difference between jam and marmalade?
  • HoffmanHoffman158,811
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 14:24
    maiden of haste said:
    i thought only EA did their own servers?!?!
    The servers that 2K are shutting down aren't multiplayer servers, they're the stat tracking, league, and lobby servers. Matchmaking will still be available because they are host based.
    Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
  • Fadi kunFadi kun422,766
    Posted on 11 November 11 at 14:49
    This is great news! I had been freaking out about those online achievements but now I have some more time! Thanks!
  • Posted on 11 November 11 at 15:08, Edited on 11 November 11 at 15:09 by The Nerevarine
    I remember when Sega Sports became 2K Sports and almost toppled Madden, and now they're on their way back to the void.

Why are they so eager to shut down the servers on their only remaining successful sports title? With how much losing they're doing to EA this generation you'd think they'd stop trying to follow in their footsteps.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads