Community News Forum

News for and about the community. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

GotY Awards 2011 – Staff Picks

AuthorMessage
osubluejacket
osubluejacket - Reading comprehension (willingness?) has hit a new low if the comments on this week's Top Five are any indication.
TrueAchievements Editorial ManagerAchievement Completion Percentage: 74.69% (Includes owned DLC) - 18 more achievements required to reach 75%7,539 posts
Last post: 16 Oct at 22:04
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:06
Our thoughts on the best games and achievements of 2011

Now that we’ve crowned the official TrueAchievement’s GOTY, the staff thought it might be an insightful bit of fun to let you take a peek behind the scenes of the international TA offices to see what our thoughts were as to the 2011 Game of the Year. Every team manager polled their respective teams as to their favorite game of the year AND their favorite achievement of 2011.

Let me tell you, this was no easy task, and things got heated… very heated. I’d like to personally apologize to DavieMarshall for shivving him in the commissary over a dispute as to the merits of http://www.trueachievements.com/Skyrim-xbox-360.htm versus http://www.trueachievements.com/Rayman-Origins-xbox-360.htm, and to Chad and Jessie for the “unfortunate incident” involving a llama, a puddle of polyvinyl alcohol, and http://www.trueachievements.com/Michael-Jackson-xbox-360.htm … I cannot say more due to an ongoing legal battle.

So, without further ado, here are the highlights from our 2011 Staff Picks!

Like many of our teams, the Moderator Team, represented by Clever Jake, didn’t reach much of a consensus, but Skyrim was the victor from their group, narrowly edging out http://www.trueachievements.com/Saints-Row-The-Third-xb....htm by one vote.

The Content Team, represented by W1LLYMAN also reached the conclusion that Skyrim was the Game of the Year, beating out Batman: Arkham City by three votes.

Chad and Jessie spoke for the Community and Events Team. Being mainly comprised of staffers who were represented by other teams, this vote was evenly split three ways between http://www.trueachievements.com/Halo-CE-Anniversary-xbo....htm, Saints Row: The Third, and http://www.trueachievements.com/The-Gunstringer-xbox-360.htm.

Then we come to my own team, the Newshounds, represented by Matrarch. Unlike the other teams, the Hounds managed to garner the most complete consensus for the Game of the Year. In a (slightly) shocking decision, Gears of War 3, ran away with the Game of the Year by almost a 2-1 margin.

So, if you’re looking for the shortlist of the best games of the year from the staff perspective, look no further than: Skyrim, Saints Row: The Third, Gears of War 3, Halo CE Anniversary, and The Gunstringer.

While the Game of the Year is always a contentious battle (I now have a nice scar thanks to Beanpotter and a thrown mug of Earl Grey), highlighting outstanding achievements is equally difficult, but a few special pops shined for the staff this year. Amongst the highlights:

Shadow Enz and Kung Fu Riki from the Content Team were big fans of:

Batman: Arkham CityStorytellerThe Storyteller achievement in Batman: Arkham City worth 26 pointsHave 12 murderous dates with Calendar Man

Shadow Enz went on to say:
Minus the ability to be exploited, I think this achievement is genius. Asking players to return to the game during 12 holidays throughout the year following the game's release is just awesome. Plus it adds to the story. Just like the audio logs in ODST -- I absolutely loved their addition to the plot. W1LLYMAN, DavieMarshall, and TyrannoJesusRex also enjoyed:

Portal 2You Saved ScienceThe You Saved Science achievement in Portal 2 worth 147 pointsComplete all test chambers in all courses of co-op

TJR highlights the reason for his pick:
Portal is one of the finest games made, and I can't resist co-op gameplay. I've met the requirements for this achievement 3 times over alreadythirtysmooth wanted to make special mention of an achievement from one of the “Dark Horse” GOTY contenders, Saints Row: The Third:

Saints Row: The ThirdStay Classy SteelportThe Stay Classy Steelport achievement in Saints Row: The Third worth 16 pointsKilled 25 Gang Members each with 'the Penetrator' and FIAJ, the best guilty pleasures available.

They say "Never bring a knife to a gunfight", so imagine my utter dismay when going toe-to-toe with an 8-man strong gang, fully armed with assault rifles, with just my 3-foot-long, purple sex-toy-on-a-stick as my only accomplice. There's something disturbing, but strangely satisfying about beating a man to death with a battery powered sex aid. And how's this for a kicker? Look at the achievement tile! "What say you, boy? I challenge thee to a dildo-duel!" Chad and Jessie and LitaOsiris both had their respective, favorite achievements come from Michael Jackson: The Experience. These achievements are not for the faint of heart:

Michael Jackson: The ExperienceNO ONE WANTS TO BE DEFEATEDThe NO ONE WANTS TO BE DEFEATED achievement in Michael Jackson: The Experience worth 207 pointsAchieved a 5 star rating in "Beat It" in performance mode

By far, the proudest achievement from 2011 and probably my proudest achievement ever. I had a first with this achievement...I raged quit. Yes, raged quit on MJ, screamed at my TV, wanted to pick up my Kinect and bash it into a wall, and did the unthinkable...turned off the xbox while still in a game. I probably played this song about 80 times before I finally got enough points to earn the 5*...didn't help that the game mocks you while playing *Beat it, beat it*

I was trying too cry
Michael Jackson: The ExperienceJUST BEAT ITThe JUST BEAT IT achievement in Michael Jackson: The Experience worth 299 pointsAchieved a 5 star rating in "Beat It" in master performance mode

...simply because it was so challenging to get and keep in mind there is no way to practice the master performance routines. It must have taken me at least 50 attempts (most likely more) and that was simply down to a few moves not being tracked correctly. I still don't know to this day what way to do those moves in a way not to miss them - it felt random every time. Anyways, when I finally got the achievement I sunk to the floor with my hands over my mouth in disbelief. I've never had that kind of a reaction to an achievement before! laughSeveral members of the Newshound team also wanted to give special mention to:

Gears of War 3Seriously 3.0The Seriously 3.0 achievement in Gears of War 3 worth 836 pointsYou are the ultimate Gear!

You know it… you love it… you’re grinding your Xbox to death to get it.

We also valiantly tried to garner some consensus on the “Most Anticipated” game of 2012. Let me tell you, if you thought Peter Griffin’s Chicken Fights were intense, have no idea the wrath and carnage that came out in the boardroom of the TA offices. Our very own site progenitor TrueAchievement, managed to catch a chair-to-the-back (pro wrestling style) from an “unknown assailant” (*cough, cough* litepink *cough, cough*) as he was making the case for http://www.trueachievements.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-xbox....htm. In the end, however, we have quite the “short list” for our eagerly anticipated games (in no particular order):

Grand Theft Auto V
http://www.trueachievements.com/BioShock-Infinite-xbox-....htm
http://www.trueachievements.com/Halo-4-xbox-360.htm
http://www.trueachievements.com/Mass-Effect-3-xbox-360.htm
http://www.trueachievements.com/Borderlands-2-xbox-360.htm
http://www.trueachievements.com/Resident-Evil-6-xbox-360.htm
http://www.trueachievements.com/Tomb-Raider-xbox-360.htm

Now that you’ve heard a little bit from the staff, feel free to let us know YOUR picks for Achievement of the Year and “Most Anticipated” game of 2012 in the comments section.

On behalf of the staff, I’d like to thank you for doing your part to crown TrueAchievement’s 2011 Game of the Year. Without you, the members, TA wouldn’t be the site that it is. 2012 is off to a great start with a metric crap-ton of amazing games on the horizon and I’m sure you, like the rest of us, can’t wait to get your hands on them.

Here’s to a great 2011 and an exciting 2012!

toast
Ultra Seven
Ultra Seven - 007  373  5963
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.7097Achievement Completion Percentage: 92.88% (Includes owned DLC) - 7 more achievements required to reach 93%1,032 posts
Last post: 19 Sep at 23:56
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:07
The Rock says.... It doesn't matter what you think !!!!
Mike United 007 - is looking to borrow/swap/buy FIFA 15 on either Xbox 360 or Xbox One - anyone? :-)
296,813 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements site super-promoter1,863 posts
Last post: Today at 10:17
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:11
yer looking forward to GTA V and borderlands 2 maybe.
GT: Mike United 007
Valeefor
Valeefor
48,549 TrueAchievement Points23 posts
Last post: 07 Jun 13 at 23:50
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:15
My "Achievement of the Year" would have to be Pacifist on Deus Ex Human Revolution. Not squeezing the trigger was a trial for many.
DrShoe1976
DrShoe1976
196,188 TrueAchievement Points1,462 posts
Last post: 14 Oct at 22:53
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:17
Hey - nowt shocking about Gears 3 being voted GotY! That game is AWESOME, and was my vote.
Oddworld X
Oddworld X - Sold a few of my old and unplayed Guitar Hero/Rock Band games - made £30 from it though!
TrueAchievement Ratio: 2.026193 completed games(Includes owned DLC)544 posts
Last post: 19 Oct at 20:11
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:18
Bring on 2012! Maybe this year Microsoft will allow Abe HD for XBLA?
Oddworld X
osubluejacket
osubluejacket - Reading comprehension (willingness?) has hit a new low if the comments on this week's Top Five are any indication.
TrueAchievements Editorial ManagerAchievement Completion Percentage: 74.69% (Includes owned DLC) - 18 more achievements required to reach 75%7,539 posts
Last post: 16 Oct at 22:04
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:19
Ultra Seven said:The Rock says.... It doesn't matter what you think !!!!The Rock also says, "Know your role, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"

wink
In Soviet Russia, game plays you! | TrueAchievements Newshound | Twitter: @osubluejacket
justinman114
justinman114 - Blabbagabba.
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.7598Achievement Completion Percentage: 98.75% (Includes owned DLC) - 10 more achievements required to reach 99%391 posts
Last post: 05 Oct at 16:18
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:37
Achievement of the Year is gonna have to be "Hard to the Core" in Dead Space 2. So satisfying!
Brock M Rambo - A very close friend of mine is battling the wosrt battle a husband and father can fight. -  http://t.co/oNkR
82,165 TrueAchievement PointsRegistered on 15 March 2010 (Year 2 - beta)981 posts
Last post: 31 Aug at 05:35
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:37, Edited on 02 February 12 at 16:37 by Brock M Rambo
osubluejacket said:Ultra Seven said:The Rock says.... It doesn't matter what you think !!!!The Rock also says, "Know your role, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"

wink
........And don't stare at the People's Strudel
sorry, couldn't help myself

GOW 3 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!
never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you
xCHRONIC KAOSx - Well thats a stupid deal if I'm correct.If u buy the WD season pass u still need to buy Ep1S2 so its says..5.99 3.99
117,744 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements site promoter760 posts
Last post: 24 Jun at 21:51
osubluejacket said:Ultra Seven said:The Rock says.... It doesn't matter what you think !!!!The Rock also says, "Know your role, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"

wink
BTA
CrimsonGaidin
CrimsonGaidin - Most of you already know, but changed the gamertag.  Still Gaidin though! :)
7,766 commentsDonated to TrueAchievements.com2,511 posts
Last post: 04 Jun at 11:53
Very nice! Loving all these articles and like the variety of staff favorites!
I aim to misbehave!
Sket Slayer
Sket Slayer - Smoking, chilling, music, gaming, my life
100,859 TrueAchievement Points129 posts
Last post: 19 Feb at 11:21
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:39
Oddworld x said:Bring on 2012! Maybe this year Microsoft will allow Abe HD for XBLA?All we can do is hope! :D

Halo 4. The proper one.
TriG3rHaWkz x1x - Really do need to pick up on my backlog of games
134,109 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements Pro user407 posts
Last post: 12 Oct at 12:13
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:44
Halo 4 and Borderlands 2 i am mostly looking forward to! ( mass efect 3 is high on my list aswell and GTA V ) :D
Dog of Thunder - $4,544 raised for Extra-Life. Team TA will obliterate the $5k goal.
TrueAchievements Community Events OrganizerTrueAchievements Newshound4,506 posts
Last post: 07 Oct 13 at 17:06
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:46
Know who fights dirty?

DavieMarshall.

Guy goes right for the eyes.
spacedvest2
spacedvest2 - Dammit, I broke the screen on my WP8 (Nokia 928)
Achievement Completion Percentage: 89.10% (Includes owned DLC) - 82 more achievements required to reach 90%TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.6886492 posts
Last post: 08 Oct at 21:02
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:47
justinman114 said:Achievement of the Year is gonna have to be "Hard to the Core" in Dead Space 2. So satisfying!I completely agree... I wrote a blog about this and it was #1 on my list: spacedvest2's blog post - Top 25 Most Painful Achievements That I Earned in 2011
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:49
Good read, been a while since i have enjoyed a full article like that and totally agree on the most anticipated games to come this year , "its gonna be a good un" as they say down south
Zacry072
Zacry072 - Well TA, it's been an excellent 3 years. Time to remove myself from here though. I hope everyone understands.--Zac
Site Helper360 completed games(Includes owned DLC)2,466 posts
Last post: 02 Jul at 10:26
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:58
justinman114 said:Achievement of the Year is gonna have to be "Hard to the Core" in Dead Space 2. So satisfying!This one gets my vote! Isn't Dead Space 3 coming out this year? If so it would at least be in my top 5 most anticipated.
Ackter
Ackter - Regarding Shadow of Mordor: Could someone explain to me why hitting XXXYXXXY ad infinitum until everything's dead is potential GOTY worthy?
152,195 TrueAchievement Points408 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 19:01
Posted on 02 February 12 at 16:58
Why would anyone vote for Seriously 3.0 as a good achievement? It's nothing more than a cheap and transparent ploy to attempt to trick people into playing the game long after the interest has worn off.

I doubt there's 10 people in the world that will get it legitimately, without any boosting. I've been playing the game for months and have only 8 Onyxes.

A good achievement is challenging and fun, not something that takes the piss.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning - Must... make... time... for... Metro...
516 solutions18,037 comments5,284 posts
Last post: Today at 05:52
Posted on 02 February 12 at 17:00
Valeefor said:My "Achievement of the Year" would have to be Pacifist on Deus Ex Human Revolution. Not squeezing the trigger was a trial for many.I agree, that's high up on my list. Having just finished Skyrim, Deus Ex was my GotY. Even though Skyrim had SO much more to do (and so many more glitches, and so much more loading time...), I felt much more emotionally invested in Deus Ex. They really know how to tell a story.
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
Vesper Angel 89 - The Vault of Glass has been beaten. Atheon has been reduced to shards
169,288 TrueAchievement Points22 completed games(Includes owned DLC)440 posts
Last post: 13 Oct at 23:40
Posted on 02 February 12 at 17:01
My favorite game of year has definitely been Saints Row The Third as I love the series and after having the game for a week I already put over 60 hours in the game.

Still Mass Effect 2 makes a very good second place on my GOTY. My favorite achievement will be the No One Left Behind achievement in Mass Effect 2. Still didn't obtain it but it will be so satisfying once I do get it.

For this coming year I'll be mostly looking forward to Mass Effect 3 and Halo 4. But untill that time I've got Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning to enjoy me. A great RPG you guys you really check it out.
Ichigo Kurosaki is my name and reaping hollows is my game