Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Prevent Users from Signing-Up to Overlapping Gaming Sessions

AuthorMessage
xPut Name Herex - Only 12 more hours til Extra Life 2014! Get your donations in and win big! http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblogcomment.aspx?gamerblogid=55166
TrueAchievements ModeratorTrueAchievements Game Info Editor7,249 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 19:10
Posted on 21 June 12 at 19:49
So I've recently come across a few people who were complaining about receiving negative feedback from a gamer who didn't show up to their session. Upon investigating the gamer who went AWOL, it turns out he had signed up for two different gaming sessions at the same time, and one other gaming session one half hour later (one of the other gaming sessions was two hours in length, so he should have in theory still been playing in that session when the later one started).

Turns out, this gamer in question clearly joined a couple sessions just to give negative feedback. There is no way for one gamer to be playing multiple games at once like this. So I suggest we prevent this from happening again by putting in some sort of measure preventing gamers from registering for a gaming session when they are already committed to another.

Remember people, no callouts while discussing this!
I miss the good old days of WW2 Call of Duty
Worhammer
Worhammer - Destiny clan http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/290092
185,640 TrueAchievement Points20 reviews326 posts
Last post: 29 Aug at 17:56
Posted on 21 June 12 at 20:37
What if you're a backup, you aren't needed, and decide to try and sign up for another session that starts in 30 minutes when the one you were backup for lasts 2 hours?

It's one of those things where I think the suggested solution causes more trouble than it solves. It all goes back to the feedback system needing a fix, which has been discussed over and over as far as I can remember.
Putting the WAR in Worhammer since 1999
Junkdewd
Junkdewd
57 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 53.14% (Includes owned DLC) - 62 more achievements required to reach 54%118 posts
Last post: 12 Jul 13 at 08:46
Posted on 21 June 12 at 21:09
Definitely needs repair. Making the host the only person able to leave feedback would be a good start. In my case, due to either the hosts of 3 sessions on the same day not being truthful, or a glitch the day of the new update rollout, I received no invite or message about the sessions, even though I was waiting for each to begin. I ended up with wuite a few negatives and harrassment thru my inbox. As a new user, it goes without saying I am horribly disillusioned with this situation after being excited to become a member and participate in the first place.
Posted on 21 June 12 at 23:15, Edited on 21 June 12 at 23:19 by DarkxMaterials
Maybe it should warn the person signing up for conurrent sessions but it should not block them from signing up for them.

Also in some cases games can be played at the same time and other people could be signing up for sessions to provide a dummy tag to help others.

I would like it if gaming sessions were not fucked up even more than they are now.
Junkdewd
Junkdewd
57 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 53.14% (Includes owned DLC) - 62 more achievements required to reach 54%118 posts
Posted on 21 June 12 at 23:21
My suggestions would be feedback only for the host, and a notification system put in place to let the hosts know that someone is in their session and an overlapping one. That way they can contact the user and ask their intentions. That way the host could simply remove people at their discretion and open the slot up in the hopes of getting another player, or doing nothing according to what they find out from the user.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon - Destiny's on track for as much content re-use as Defiance, but within a much shorter timeframe
Achievement Completion Percentage: 94.96% (Includes owned DLC) - 3 more achievements required to reach 95%123 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,426 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 05:34
Posted on 22 June 12 at 03:02
I'd like anyone who signs up for longer than an hour to be subject to feedback. Some of the most unreliable people are never signed up past the start time to get the feedback they deserve.

I've had people that sign up for a session up to a week (or more) before the day of the session, then drop within the last hour with lame shit like "schedule changed".
Potatoes are friggin' magical. Can you power an alarm clock with a carrot? No, sir.
Junkdewd
Junkdewd
Posted on 22 June 12 at 03:24, Edited on 22 June 12 at 03:27 by Junkdewd
Your attitude is what is wrong with the system right now. Schedules change, lives change, desires change. The one thing that never seems to change is people like you feeling entitled and relishing in taking out their frustrations and unhappiness on others in any way thay are able to feel better about themselves. No one deserves to be ridiculed or humiliated over video gaming. They drop out at the last minute for a reason. If they did not, you would happily humiliate them so that they "get what they deserve". I think you deserve intense therapy for your aggression issues. Ridiculous response for ridiculous response.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon - Destiny's on track for as much content re-use as Defiance, but within a much shorter timeframe
Achievement Completion Percentage: 94.96% (Includes owned DLC) - 3 more achievements required to reach 95%123 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,426 posts
Posted on 22 June 12 at 04:44, Edited on 22 June 12 at 04:46 by Mobius Evalon
It is not simply life "getting in the way" when you plan for something over a week in advance, and then drop out 25 minutes to session time with an ellipsis in the box.

At any rate, anyone who genuinely has some sort of unforeseen issue crop up an hour before each session should still have that in their feedback. Even if through no fault of their own, unreliability is unreliability no matter how you slice it.
Potatoes are friggin' magical. Can you power an alarm clock with a carrot? No, sir.
Junkdewd
Junkdewd
Posted on 22 June 12 at 06:05
With every reply, you force me to lose more faith in the human race. I hope your children never wet the bed, for they shall surely get what is coming to them. I will reiterate, people like you are what is wrong with the feedback system now. It is apparent you will continue to have no tolerance for humanity, so I shall exit this thread. Enjoy having it to yourself.
xPut Name Herex - Only 12 more hours til Extra Life 2014! Get your donations in and win big! http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblogcomment.aspx?gamerblogid=55166
TrueAchievements ModeratorTrueAchievements Game Info Editor7,249 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 19:10
Posted on 22 June 12 at 06:21
Can we keep this on topic guys? I know this issue of people leaving very shortly before a session starts is a hot topic, but seriously, it derails almost every conversation about the feedback system and thus nothing can ever be accomplished.

As for the issue of overlapping sessions, I actually really like a solution mentioned by Junkdewd previously: when someone joins a session that overlaps with another session they are in, the hosts of said sessions should receive a PM about it. This gives the host opportunity to figure out what is up with the specific gamer, and allows people to register for multiple sessions as backups. A few more tweaks and I really believe this could be added to the system for the benefit of all who use the gaming sessions.
I miss the good old days of WW2 Call of Duty
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 22 June 12 at 06:33, Edited on 22 June 12 at 06:39 by Mobius Evalon
Bailing an argument and making direct personal attacks are hallmarks of someone with undirected rage and no valid point. You cannot associate a completely unrelated paradigm and compare parenting to a group of supposedly responsible adults assembling for a session.

If we address overlapping sessions, let's kill two birds with one stone and implement a "backup" roster. Host sets up a session for the number of people he needs, and after that number is met, an infinite number of people can sign up to be backups that are automatically cycled in by signup order when people leave the session.

When someone signs up for a session that overlaps others, he is made a backup player in all overlapping sessions until he makes up his mind and dedicates the timeslot to one session. Perhaps even indicate his presence in multiple overlapping sessions by placing an icon on that gamer's display row somewhere, indicating to everyone in all overlapping sessions that there is propensity for this gamer to not show up.
Shadow Enz
Shadow Enz - My PC's got cancer, currently in the repair process.
TrueAchievements Walkthrough SupervisorAchievement Completion Percentage: 94.62% (Includes owned DLC) - 14 more achievements required to reach 95%4,471 posts
Last post: 21 Sep at 23:23
Posted on 22 June 12 at 06:48
Shoulda just ignored him from his first response. That was all beyond stupid.

There definitely should be something said for people who join well in advance and leave within such a close time to session start.

Perhaps the ability to only vote them neutral and leave a comment or no voting and just commenting on the feedback system for that person.

Something to highlight the circumstance so that if it's consistent, people can beware of the player's flaky session-habits.
"You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive..."
Heroic Blanket - Hooray for having internet that's decided to only be up for 20 minutes every hour.
204 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 89.99% (Includes owned DLC) - 1 more achievement required to reach 90%305 posts
Last post: 21 Oct at 13:09
Posted on 22 June 12 at 08:15
Junkdewd said:Definitely needs repair. Making the host the only person able to leave feedback would be a good start. In my case, due to either the hosts of 3 sessions on the same day not being truthful, or a glitch the day of the new update rollout, I received no invite or message about the sessions, even though I was waiting for each to begin. I ended up with wuite a few negatives and harrassment thru my inbox. As a new user, it goes without saying I am horribly disillusioned with this situation after being excited to become a member and participate in the first place.What happens if the host doesn't show up, or is online doing other things while ignoring messages from people in the session.

Restricting feedback to a single user in a session is not a good way to solve the problems caused by people who choose to grief.
DTI April
DTI April - Finally beat a raid, but it seems as usual I will need to wait 2-3 days for the achievement to decide to pop! #Destiny
Achievement Completion Percentage: 90.11% (Includes owned DLC) - 88 more achievements required to reach 91%268 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,211 posts
Last post: 15 Oct at 12:12
Posted on 22 June 12 at 09:10, Edited on 22 June 12 at 09:13 by DTI April
Agree, people shouldn't be able to join overlapping sessions. The only reason you would want to do it is because you're trying to mess people around or too stupid to realise you're supposed to be somewhere else.

About the whole being a backup in multiple sessions - You simply can't be a backup if you're in another session. Being a backup means being available! I've called on a few backups before who have replied with "sorry I'm in another session now", so the 'backup' slot was taken up by someone who never intended to be there and the session couldn't go ahead.

I appreciate that there may be occasions that a session doesn't happen or you were a backup that wasn't needed and now want to join a session that is about to start. In these rare instances it can be resolved by sending a message to the host of the new session or posting in the session thread - they can add you to the session after the event for feedback.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
DakotaThrice
DakotaThrice - http://m.imgur.com/9CLfNAC Bountiful bounties
Achievement Completion Percentage: 41.68% (Includes owned DLC) - 79 more achievements required to reach 42%88 completed games(Includes owned DLC)3,524 posts
Last post: 13 Sep at 17:02
Posted on 22 June 12 at 17:46, Edited on 22 June 12 at 17:48 by DakotaThrice
Regardless of what changes are made to the system it will still be abused by the trollfaced ones. The way it is now is about as good as it's going to get. Each and every user is entitled to leave feedback as they see fit and if you don't agree with this then you simply shouldn't be joining sessions.

That said the idea of warning a user when they apply for a session that overlaps with one they are either already in or one they have applied for is a good idea as is the idea to a PM a session host in the same situation so the host can decide whether or not to remove the individual from their session.
TSG Dwaggie
TSG Dwaggie - *Growwwwwwwwl*
670,868 TrueAchievement Points953 posts
Last post: 23 Oct at 18:37
Posted on 22 June 12 at 22:15
If this were a case, then we need 30 minute intervals for session times, not 60minute/1hour intervals.
DakotaThrice
DakotaThrice - http://m.imgur.com/9CLfNAC Bountiful bounties
Achievement Completion Percentage: 41.68% (Includes owned DLC) - 79 more achievements required to reach 42%88 completed games(Includes owned DLC)3,524 posts
Last post: 13 Sep at 17:02
Posted on 23 June 12 at 04:22
TSG Dwaggie said:If this were a case, then we need 30 minute intervals for session times, not 60minute/1hour intervals.I really don't know why we can't already do this as the coding is already in place as evidenced by the music mayhem sessions. However that's not the actual issue here and needs a wulishlist thread of its own.
Das Kuhnen
Das Kuhnen - [dive]
230 completed games(Includes owned DLC)17,132 comments4,124 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 17:24
Posted on 23 June 12 at 12:06
It's not even necessarily the "system" that needs fixing for 90% of our issues we encounter here on TA. At some point, people need to be responsible and I hate to break it to everyone, but there are immature retards amongst us.

Whether it be people who join multiple overlapping sessions for the sake of "choosing" which ever one sounds best when they get home to play, solution voting, feedback system, etc. every system has loopholes. Mostly due to the fact a "system" is put together by generally decent people with the intentions of helping or making things easier for others. Standard ungrateful Joe Schmo doesn't give a crap and his eyes light up in a moment of "herp, derp, herp!!! I can make peoples madddd!"

Until we have a character screening process in place, unfortunately there's no real fix for any issues in which people make a decision here. Limiting and limiting is not the answer, that's just a blinder to the fact there's idiots.

I say we have a giant, red "MORON!" stamp that goes across peoples' info at the top of their pages when these things happen... but that's just me. smile
Confucius say: Man piss in wind, wind piss back.
DrCanadianNinja - The friends and party failures on the One are starting to wear thin.
TrueAchievements Moderator225 solutions1,343 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:17
Posted on 23 June 12 at 15:30
Agreed. Something to check the schedule of the gaming session, then block someone from joining another session that conflicts with that space of time. There's a few people who will know what they're doing when joining conflicting sessions, but I'd rather a workaround for the few than let this overlap continue.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Achievement Completion Percentage: 40.93% (Includes owned DLC) - 15 more achievements required to reach 41%7,508 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 20:49
Posted on 23 June 12 at 20:58
I like the basis of the idea, but I see one flaw.

I used to semi-often (and plan to start again soon) create 3-4 hour sessions. What I would do is pick a viral achievement I have

For example
BorderlandsAnd They'll Tell Two Friendsalklein92201The And They'll Tell Two Friends achievement in Borderlands worth 12 pointsGamed with fame

and just sit in a lobby for 3-4 hours inviting people in. They get the achievement when they join the lobby, and then leave (which is exactly how I intend for these sessions to go) to make room for others.

Now, people that join these sessions -- if this suggestion were implemented -- would not be allowed to join a session for 3-4 hours because they wanted to hop into my game for 10 seconds. Now I realize they don't have to join the session, but it makes things much easier on all ends to have things like this organized.