Xbox Help Forum

Got a problem with your Xbox? Post it in here, someone might be able to help you

Any tips on downloading updates for XBL faster?

AuthorMessage
Shinerbock88
Shinerbock88 - I forget the dates of the Star Ocean games, but SO4 predates all of them in the SO universe, right?
Achievement Completion Percentage: 80.97% (Includes owned DLC) - 1 more achievement required to reach 81%30 completed games(Includes owned DLC)2,291 posts
Last post: 31 Mar at 17:38
Posted on 06 September 12 at 05:00, Edited on 06 September 12 at 05:02 by Shinerbock88
Hi all. I've been wrapped up in D3 for the past few months and have only recently returned to the life of console gaming. I apparently have a nice, fat update for Xbox Live to download. Well, I've been at it for like 3 hrs now and I keep getting messages saying it failed to update. My internet sucks and is very slow to begin with, but I was wondering if any one knows of a way I can maybe speed up the process?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Oh yeah, does the update that is being downloaded save as it downloads? Or am I starting from the beginning of the update every time I have to restart? I can't connect to XBL until I get this update so it's very frustrating...

EDIT: I don't know if this tells you anything, but the download progress bar seems to get to a certain point and then it stops. I get the "xbox-is-trying-to-do-something-swirly-thingy" in the middle of the screen and it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.
VulturousPiano - Anyone up for some random BF3 fun?
216,534 TrueAchievement PointsSite Helper219 posts
Last post: 27 Jul at 10:14
Posted on 06 September 12 at 12:27
You can try to get the update off the xbox support website and put it to a cd/dvd/usb drive and update from that. That should solve the failed downloads you are getting.

Whenever you restart the download it will be doing it from the begginning and not continuing from where it failed.
ROBomination
ROBomination - They finally fixed Halo 4! 100% all games except Wars!
Donated to TrueAchievements.comAchievement Completion Percentage: 71.49% (Includes owned DLC) - 29 more achievements required to reach 72%1,674 posts
Last post: 17 Oct at 12:04
Posted on 06 September 12 at 12:51
VulturousPiano said:You can try to get the update off the xbox support website and put it to a cd/dvd/usb drive and update from that. That should solve the failed downloads you are getting.^ This is new to me, but brilliant.

- Get better internet. It's 2012, time to get off the dial-up bro.
Twitter: @ROBomination | Xbox Ambassdor | DO NOT: Take the internet seriously.
Posted on 06 September 12 at 14:07, Edited on 06 September 12 at 14:08 by VulturousPiano
The link for the manual stuff is at http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/system...

Was on my phone earlier so couldn't get the link.
Shinerbock88
Shinerbock88 - I forget the dates of the Star Ocean games, but SO4 predates all of them in the SO universe, right?
Achievement Completion Percentage: 80.97% (Includes owned DLC) - 1 more achievement required to reach 81%30 completed games(Includes owned DLC)2,291 posts
Posted on 06 September 12 at 19:43
Thanks, VulturousPiano. I finally got the update downloaded last night. I tried this route but think I did something wrong because my 360 wouldn't play the DVD. The restarting from the beginning was really killing me.

ROBomination said:VulturousPiano said:You can try to get the update off the xbox support website and put it to a cd/dvd/usb drive and update from that. That should solve the failed downloads you are getting.^ This is new to me, but brilliant.

- Get better internet. It's 2012, time to get off the dial-up bro.
Everyone always assumes I have dial-up or I can change my ISP lol. I thin the last time I had dial up was the late 90's, early 2000's and it was actually better than what I have now. I wish I did have dial-up. I have no choice in internet where I live or I'd have changed it long ago. It's the only internet I can get because no one else offers it this far out in the country. I don't even have a land line, so dial-up would be impossible. I actually tried satelite a couple years ago and it's much worse than what I have now. I'd use my phone as a wifi hotspot but I have half a bar here with AT&T as my provider. Walk to the end of the driveway and I get "No Service" and there's a 2-3 mile deadzone from there. The town I live near is considered the boonies and I live outside of that lol. The only way I can get better internet is to move and that's not going to happen.

From what the tech at my ISP says, there's nothing they can do about it. I don't know if he's just BS'ing or what, but there have been a ton a oil well sites go up around where I live and he says they all transmit data over the same frequency that my ISP uses and that it kills everyone's connection on the same frequency. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it doesn't really matter when he's the only option I have if I want to be connected.
ROBomination
Donated to TrueAchievements.comAchievement Completion Percentage: 71.49% (Includes owned DLC) - 29 more achievements required to reach 72%1,674 posts
Posted on 06 September 12 at 19:48
You play Diablo 3 with that kind of mouth?

I'd take to whoever you talked to's supervisor's supervisor. None of that seems legit at all.
Posted on 06 September 12 at 20:07
Glad you got the update sorted.

I found that if I put it to a DVD it would not work but it would if it was on a CD or USB fine. Just remember if using that method that the update files for the CD/DVD & USB are different...
Shinerbock88
Posted on 07 September 12 at 12:57
ROBomination said:You play Diablo 3 with that kind of mouth?

I'd take to whoever you talked to's supervisor's supervisor. None of that seems legit at all.
My ISP is actually owned by a couple guys. So the techs and supervisors are the same people haha. I am thinking about trying the Verizon 4G hotspot but it's likely going to be a huge waste of time and I'm not signing a contract to where I have to pay for something I can't even use. I don't think Verizon nor a 4G network would get as good coverage as AT&T and 3G (I know 4G is better and faster, but isn't the coverage zone smaller since it's fairly new?)

I have no idea what you mean about playing D3 with that kind of mouth lol. But, no, I quit playing D3. This last patch pretty much destroyed any kind of fun it had to begin with. I tried since its release date to enjoy it (700hrs invested) and it was fun at first, but patch 1.0.4 was the final straw for me. I stay logged in because until I get everything sold on AH. I will go back and play D3 from time to time and I don't wanna be e-broke with no gold haha.

VulturousPiano said:Glad you got the update sorted.

I found that if I put it to a DVD it would not work but it would if it was on a CD or USB fine. Just remember if using that method that the update files for the CD/DVD & USB are different...
Oh wow. I didn't know that either. I assumed they'd be the same. I don't have any blank CDs but I'll go buy some specifically for this. Ha, this site is so awesome... I learn something new everyday it seems. Even learn multiple new things in one day haha. Thanks again!
Posted on 07 September 12 at 16:22
Yeah, I thought they were the same but the USB version has extra stuff in it so the 360 is able to boot from it. (As far as I know anyway)
ROBomination
Posted on 07 September 12 at 18:25
Hey, I'm going to PM you about Verizion information as to not keep bumping this thread with an off topic discussion. Let me gather some links, maybe I can help you.