Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Sales & Specials+: Week of October 2nd, 2012

• asmilonGRasmilonGR87,971
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 15:50, Edited on 02 October 12 at 15:50 by asmilonGR
    Good sale, though I would prefer a 50% off Braid to be frank...
  • Posted on 02 October 12 at 15:52
    I read an article yesterday comparing Playstation plus to Gold and I must admit despite being an 'xbox guy' these discount are garbage, considering you get free retail games on the PS3.
  • Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:00
    Limbo again
  • LGbaybLGbayb154,429
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:01
    Said 'Robot Toy' is Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), if I'm not mistaken.
  • BeanpotterBeanpotter1,995,230
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:01
    3 brilliant games you really should play if you haven't.
    Mame Tobikomi!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:06
    I think this is the last week before they change up the mystery wheel prizes.

Off topic, I 'm not sure if you guys see the same ads I do, but there is an ad at the top of the page to check criminal backgrounds. I want to play a game based on the adventures of the guy in the middle with the backwards hat tan complete with mullet.
  • ugliugli587,945
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:09
    Would prefer these to work on my country as well :)
  • Cringer85Cringer85339,005
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:09, Edited on 02 October 12 at 16:10 by Cringer85
    HEY!! THE OFFERS FOR SALES AND SPECIALS + ALSO WORK ON GERMAN ACCOUNTS NOW (and probably all of European accounts) just saying! bought the low prices deals for quite some time now, so I'm not joking around here!!!

(only exception is mystery wheel, which gives marketplace error)
  • DROGTURISTDROGTURIST337,597
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:15
    DradusContact said:
    I read an article yesterday comparing Playstation plus to Gold and I must admit despite being an 'xbox guy' these discount are garbage, considering you get free retail games on the PS3.
    The very important difference is that you don't actually own any of the "free" games on PS+, as PS+ is a rental service. You get to play and finish them, sure, but you won't be able to boot your PS3 in, like, 5 years and play them. You will be able to do with that XBL titles (as long as the license for them is on the console you use).
  • Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:18
    ^THIS. I have PS Plus but I dont like it anymore than Live, and a great deal for this reason.
  • RoboChap85RoboChap85264,373
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:19
    I won Braid playing 1vs100 and it's a fantastic game, definitely worth 560 points
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:26
    Been waiting for Limbo to go on sale! /sarcasm
    Good game, though, if you somehow haven't bought it yet.:)
    You don't need DLC to "complete" a game. Feel free to debate me any time. I'm still undefeated...
  • Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:29
    Is ilomilo a short / easy completion? My girl wants to play it but I don't want to ruin my ratio : /
    Twitter: @ROBomination | Xbox Ambassador | DO NOT: Take the internet seriously.
  • C4B0S3C4B0S3438,533
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:37, Edited on 02 October 12 at 16:37 by C4B0S3
    11/12 Achievements are very easy, but time consuming (5-6 hours). The last is a bit difficult, but manageable
  • ROBBERT DHTROBBERT DHT1,715,065
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:37
    ROBomination said:
    Is ilomilo a short / easy completion? My girl wants to play it but I don't want to ruin my ratio : /
    Overview:
    - Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10
    - Offline: 12 (200)
    - Online: 0 (0)
    - Approximate amount of time to 200: 4 hours
    - Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2 (1 for co-op)
    - Number of missable achievements: None
    - Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheats
    - Does difficulty affect achievements?: No
    - Glitchy achievements: None
    - Unobtainable achievements: None
    - Extra equipment needed?: A second controller for local co-op.
    And then there is dlc but that isn't hard either.
  • BlinkFandangoIIBlinkFandangoII2,079,742
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:39
    Wow, I think there may have been an error this morning when I picked up Braid, I got it for 400 MSP, which was weird, since I expected it to be 560 MSP. Anyone else encounter that? (I just double checked my billing history online just now and it says I only paid 400 MSP). Maybe they accidentally discounted it for too much initially, but then fixed it later.

Also, does anyone know what's discounted in the Activision sale? I was hoping for Collections 3 and 4 for MW3 to go on sale, but they don't seem to be discounted (hopefully next 4th of July Activision will feel generous again and discount them like they did for Collections 1 and 2 this year).
  • EffordEfford902,475
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 16:54
    Canada needs this.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 October 12 at 17:04
    DROGTURIST said:
    DradusContact said:
    The very important difference is that you don't actually own any of the "free" games on PS+, as PS+ is a rental service. You get to play and finish them, sure, but you won't be able to boot your PS3 in, like, 5 years and play them. You will be able to do with that XBL titles (as long as the license for them is on the console you use).
    While I am sure there are people that are bothered by that, I generally play a game and move on. It is rare that I keep wanting to go back to a game, and for those gems I would happily just purchase them outright. It is hard to argue with the value add of being able to play a full disc release game to completion even if it is the equivalent of a rental.

The argument of booting up in 5 years is a strawman. Most people will just move on to the next system and most likely will repurchase games they already played and loved. Unless you have a way of backing up a huge library of games the lifespan of Xbox Live DLC is only as long as they keep the service up or your system doesn't red ring. The Disc games also will only last until the disc is damaged beyond reading.

While I love playing retro games, it is easier to just boot up Game Room, Sonic's UGC, or repurchase the game at bargain bin prices than the hassle it can take to make an old NES, Intellivision, Sega, or Atari system work.

Truth of the matter is, as much as I like my Xbox, Microsoft screws us over by locking services up behind a paywall (which don't require their servers to run, btw) and is really doing a horrible job of making their Games on Demand section appealing. They really need to take a page from Steam's and Playstation's book and be more aggressive in their pricing of the Digital Market-scape.

Back on topic - it might finally be time to pick up Limbo. Started at a friends house and it has been taunting me ever since.
  • NekroflameNekroflame270,233
    Posted on 02 October 12 at 17:05
    JJ BOMBAY said:
    I think this is the last week before they change up the mystery wheel prizes.

Off topic, I 'm not sure if you guys see the same ads I do, but there is an ad at the top of the page to check criminal backgrounds. I want to play a game based on the adventures of the guy in the middle with the backwards hat tan complete with mullet.
    I see them too. These ads are worse than the ones on the dashboard.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads