Game Discussion: The Walking Dead Forum

Choices you made in Episode 5 of The Walking Dead

AuthorMessage
Billy Horrible - Dunno who I've got to thank for this but my TA score has gone up 100 points in the last few days
109,848 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements Moderator5,181 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 16:50
Posted on 24 November 12 at 16:17
Warning! Massive spoilers for the final Walking Dead episode!

As before, I'd like to discuss the choices made in the Walking Dead episode. State your choices and arguments here :-) Together with overall game discussion.

My choices:
- I had my arm removed. I took Christa, Omid and Kenny with me (I had dropped Ben), so Christa did it for me. It seemed like the logical thing to do (and to my opinion, if someone had gotten that idea right after Lee was bit, he would've made it).
- I lost my temper with Kenny. I yelled just kill me already and I threw the bust into the wall. If there would've been an option to calmly state they could kill me after I turned, I would've taken that one.
- I didn't give up my weapons. What are you, high?
- I killed the stranger, even though I kinda feel bad for him (I took the supplies at the end of episode two). But he took Clementine from me, and with that he ensured my death and possibly Kenny's.
- I told Clem to leave me. I started telling her to shoot me but she got so upset I told her it was alright if she didn't, she could just walk away. I wouldn't want her to have to go through all that.

Other notes on the episode:
- I saw both revelations from hints in the previous episode (walkers from the railroad and Christa's pregnancy) coming from a mile away. I didn't realise who the stranger was before, but after I saw the car I realised how heavy the meeting would become (and even then I underestimated it).
- I love what Kenny did. The fellow and I haven't seen eye to eye on many occasions, but just jumping in there? Crowning Moment Of Awesome. I hope he survived.
- I love how the stealing from the car thing finally came around and bit me in the ass in such a huge way. I'd also like to know what happens if you hadn't stolen... Who can tell me?
- I hope that Clem is the player character in season two, or at least that she survives.
- I started out distrusting Omid and Christa but I've grown to like them. Omid's "at least it's not a deathtrap" comment and Christa's subsequent reaction had me in stitches, I think that's the loudest I laughed at Walking Dead since Lee slipped in the blood - twice - back in episode 1. I had told them I wanted Clem to go with them, and I told Clem to look for them.
Chimaera36
Chimaera36 - Finished Vault of Glass Hard Mode - got the spaceship and no mythoclast - me: T_T
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 4,608 out of 262,763Achievement Completion Percentage: 94.41% (Includes owned DLC) - 45 more achievements required to reach 95%187 posts
Last post: 03 Oct at 23:06
Posted on 24 November 12 at 22:53, Edited on 24 November 12 at 23:10 by Chimaera36
- Removed the arm (Dale-type situation, hopefully mitigating the effect of blood-borne diseases before they can spread too far)
- Lost temper, but allowed him to throw the bust instead (I thought if I did it Lee was going to brain him)
- Gave up weapons (it is pretty hard to hide a meat cleaver and I thought Clem was probably going to be able to use it to ambush the guy - was not disappointed :D)
- Killed the guy (choked him to death, thus time without bullet in head = walker) Nice to see that in the end he and Lee just cared about their families, even if he did lose it (bowling bag with head = epic)
- Told Clem to shoot me. She needs to be tough and turn at least a bit robot like if she is going to survive, and this was the first step. Told her to find Christa/Omid (who were supposed to find a boat as I figured the train would be surrounded).

Notes/Questions:

- God damn Ben has been nothing but a waste of space.
- What happens if Christa/Omid cross the sign first? I'm assuming they just die as the weight of two would likely break it fast...
- Christa being pregnant could not have been more telegraphed over the last few chapters.
- Emotional shit at the end with Clem. Managed to provoke tears - good job TT!
- At the end I saw Clem walking in a field, sitting on a log and finding spent shells and then seeing two possible people/walkers (TENSION!!!). Are there any other post-credit scenes?

And to echo above, a '5 years later' badass Clem as the PC in S02 would be awesome. She is the only child in any Walking Dead media I actually care about/like. All the others are complete morons (I'm looking at you TV Carl - though Comic Carl is a bit more psycho, so there's that).

A final note - I'm glad they let Lee die. and Clem seem all alone. There must have been pressure to have a semi-happy ending, but this is Walking Dead. If the finale is not depressing as shit something is wrong. Total bleakness/everyone dead/no future is how it should roll.
ljp0390
ljp0390
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.4349Achievement Completion Percentage: 66.91% (Includes owned DLC) - 5 more achievements required to reach 67%987 posts
Last post: 26 Jan 13 at 16:57
Posted on 24 November 12 at 22:57
I cried like a bitch. I aint even embarrassed to admit that
u mad bro?
caelich
caelich
40 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,590 posts
Last post: 23 Jun at 02:50
Posted on 25 November 12 at 03:17
Had Kenny cut off my arm, didn't help in the end, but it was worth a shot I suppose.

Reacted calmly.

Kept my weapon obviously :D

I didn't kill him. I think I failed the button mashing? I dunno, I wanted to kill him, but Clem shot him in the head. Atta-girl! I also didn't steal from him, but my group did, I don't think you have a choice in that. He blamed me even after I said I told them not to steal because it was wrong.

I made Clem shoot me in the face. Shes strong enough to handle it and I was selfish enough to not want to be a walker. Kind of regret making her do it, but meh.
Billy Horrible - Dunno who I've got to thank for this but my TA score has gone up 100 points in the last few days
Posted on 25 November 12 at 16:21
caelich said:I also didn't steal from him, but my group did, I don't think you have a choice in that. He blamed me even after I said I told them not to steal because it was wrong.I didn't know they would even steal when you would vote no; damnit so even that decision doesn't matter in the end.
Animosityyyyyy
146,283 TrueAchievement Points4 posts
Last post: 25 Nov 12 at 21:28
Posted on 25 November 12 at 21:28
I let Christa chop my arm off.

I reacted calmly.

I didn't keep my weapons.

I didn't kill him, Clem shot him in the head. I kinda dropped my controller while mashing buttons so I think that's what happened there.

I told her to leave me there.

All I could think during the last part where she is talking to you is, damn this will be awesome if we get to play as Clem. Kind of watch her grow up in this type of world.
Primal IX
Primal IX - Mei Ren
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8917Achievement Completion Percentage: 97.08% (Includes owned DLC) - 22 more achievements required to reach 98%55 posts
Last post: 15 Oct at 02:33
Posted on 29 December 12 at 17:23
My choices
- I let Christa chop my arm off ( I thought it was probably too late but at the least it should slow the infection Though I am not sure why he didn't do this right from the get go)

-I gave everything ( I had heard the others usually catch you when you lie)

-I didn't kill him but not for lack of trying.Had Clem save me with a bullet to his head (If he would left Clem alone he would still be alive)

-I had Clem shoot me(Didn't do it for selfish reasons.Didn't want her to see me as a walker or possibly somehow attack her.If hadn't their was always the chance she might run into me later as a walker and...)

Thoughts

I did like choices system.Giving you a small amount of time to decide your actions/words.And that your words/actions had consequences.However at the same time it also felt like the game rendered every choice you made useless.I would like to have seen your choices actually make a difference capable of changing the story.I don't mean like how they currently did it.I mean you can actually choose your own fate and others.Not a predetermined one no matter what you do.

On a different note the ending ultimately left a sour taste in my mouth.It seemed like if you made the right choices.When i say right choices i don't mean just the nice ones.(gotta let there be different styles of right)That you and the chosen few you want to survive can do just that.Instead they left Clem off worse than what she was in episode 1.Essentially killing her new family and friends again.I know they wanted to show no hope.But ultimately that is contradicting what they are trying to do
Pai has been longing to be human for almost 300 years Pai forgets why
Austin9993
Austin9993 - PS Plus destroys Games for Gold.
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 3,777 out of 262,763TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.5649491 posts
Last post: 05 Aug at 08:09
Posted on 30 December 12 at 08:55, Edited on 30 December 12 at 08:56 by Austin9993
ljp0390 said:I cried like a bitch. I aint even embarrassed to admit thatThis x2.

Played it a second time for my little sister and we cried together. Not even ashamed.
...But why is the rum gone???
planting42
planting42 - Destiny error codes are at least oddly named. Never had monkey until today.
TrueAchievements Community Events Organizer92 solutions4,149 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 19:56
Posted on 31 December 12 at 07:38
I kept my arm - after completing the game I was surprised how many let the others remove it.

I totally lost it with Ken finally but was really hoping that I didn't brain him when I saw the red crosshair on the bust.

Lied at first, but gave up the cleaver when he asked again. Didn't see the harm as I wasn't going to be able to do anything with a gun in my face.

I choked him and finished him off with a bullet once he died. Was better than he deserved.

I told Clem to leave me. The only thing I keep asking is why she never met up at the train. There is no way we parked that thing that far out of town laugh
www.GTASC.net | No Shame in Kiddy Games - 5th in 2012
Posted on 31 December 12 at 08:22, Edited on 31 December 12 at 08:28 by Billy Horrible
planting42 said:I kept my arm - after completing the game I was surprised how many let the others remove it. It's a "I want to keep living" thing smile I actually wanted to cut it off right at the end of the previous episode, bummed they didn't think of it back then.

If there'd be a real zombie apocalypse, and if I would be bitten, I'd cut that limb so fast that you'd need a high-speed camera to capture it. On a sidenote, I've decided that if there would be a real life apocalypse, I would travel the world and go see things like the Grand Canyon, the Niagra Falls, Machu Picchu, et cetera.
"Booyah." - Jeff Winger
ColonialPie
ColonialPie - Lego Star Wars III is by far the worst Lego game I've ever played
59,158 TrueAchievement Points4 posts
Last post: 01 Jan 13 at 00:50
Posted on 01 January 13 at 00:50
-Told the group about the bite (Its episode 4 but it still matters)
-Brought Ben, Christa and Omid with me (I wanted to bring Kenny too but he would rant on how I never helped him in his dire need)
-Had Christa cut off my arm
-Calmly talked with Kenny, let him throw the bust
-Gave up weapons
-I did not kill stranger, Clem shot him for me (that kids just awesome)
-Got shot by Clem

Thoughts-
I never really doubted Ben and sorta treated him like all the other members of the group.When he was grabbed by Crawford in the watchtower, there was no way I could live knowing that I killed him. When he was impaled by the balcony post, I was surprised on how Kenny saved him. Im glad Kenny finally forgave Ben in the end. I just dont know why Kenny didnt get the fudge out after he saw the walkers (he could have shot Ben and ran with Lee if he was fast about shooting Ben)

I liked Omid since Lee met him, but I sorta find Christa to be a bit of an ass. I do appreciate both of their concerns for Clementine so I am glad they are in the group.

I really think The Walking Dead had an amazing ending, and I sorta found it ironic that Lee wanted to protect Clementine, but in the end, Clementine tries to do everything she can to help Lee.
Lavindathar
Lavindathar - Playing Alien Isolation first run on hard......and yeah, it's kinda tough :P
508,529 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 90.50% (Includes owned DLC) - 79 more achievements required to reach 91%1,765 posts
Last post: 24 Oct at 18:00
Posted on 03 January 13 at 20:45
I chopped my arm off. Or, Christa did it as Kenny backed out. I wanted to live!

I calmly dealt with Kenny.

I didn't give up the Cleaver.

I didn't kill the stranger. I tried, but I failed? Anyway, Clem saved me.

I let Clem leave.

I've always made the choices I thought best for Clem and myself. Clem came first. At first, I told her to shoot me, but then I thought "maybe im not turning, maybe im just feeling a little peaky due to having my arm lopped off, so with some self preservation in mind, I told her to go find Christa (who i disliked and didnt trust at first, but I guess I was wrong).

Overall, the game was perfect over the 5 episodes. However, I do feel it ended slightly too soon. I dont think another episode would of been a bad choice. I just think the ending needed more fleshing out. I guess I'm glad *(and sad) that it wasnt the happy ending I wanted for Lee and Clem, but now I really want to find out what happens to Clem in season 2.

On a side note - I've never watched the TV series, as Ive never been a huge fan of zombies. This game has changed that (gonna go buy new RE soon), and think im gonna watch the show. But is the show like the game (more emotional) rather than mindless zombie killing? As that usually bores me,
Posted on 03 January 13 at 22:25
Lavindathar said:On a side note - I've never watched the TV series, as Ive never been a huge fan of zombies. This game has changed that (gonna go buy new RE soon), and think im gonna watch the show. But is the show like the game (more emotional) rather than mindless zombie killing? As that usually bores me,I have started watching the series after I started playing the episodes. I've seen a few zombie films (I mainly love Shaun Of The Dead and 28 Days Later), and I gotta say I love Walking Dead.

You're right in thinking it's mainly a drama series, more often than not the scary parts happen thanks to fellow survivors instead of walkers. That's not to say there's not a good bashing in of the brains every now and then, of course.
"Booyah." - Jeff Winger
Lavindathar
Lavindathar - Playing Alien Isolation first run on hard......and yeah, it's kinda tough :P
508,529 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 90.50% (Includes owned DLC) - 79 more achievements required to reach 91%1,765 posts
Last post: 24 Oct at 18:00
Posted on 03 January 13 at 23:34
Thats good to know. I like my Zombies as survival horror. It should all be about surviving. When it gets to mindless Zombie Slaying, I lose a bit of interest.

Its rekindled my interest in the survival genre, I've played most of the older RE games,and older ones such as Silent Hill and Dino Crisis (best survival horror game ever?) and RE5 on Xbox, so looking to get into more zombie stuff.

TWD TV show and RE6 should do!
BGnasty
BGnasty - Gears of War 2 level 100 - one session a week hopefully.
106,285 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 99.27% (Includes owned DLC) - 1 more achievement required to reach 99.3%161 posts
Last post: 14 Sep at 21:56
Posted on 04 January 13 at 09:31
I chose to complete the final episode just before heading off to bed.

Big mistake.

Started thinking about life, and now I just feel terrible.

Removed Lee's arm - thought it would have saved me if it was done sooner
Blew up on Kenny - figured he deserved it after I saved him so many times and he never seemed to really appreciate it
Gave up my weapons - I wanted him to talk his way out instead of trying to fight his way out
Clementine killed her captor - Taught her how to shoot, and finally paid off
Made sure Lee didn't turn - Gotta toughen Clementine up for the future, but I sat there and thought about which choice to make for a long time

I really would have liked for Kenny and his family along with Carly to make it safe to the end, but that didn't work out. Omid and Christa weren't my choice for guardians for Clementine, but I guess I gotta roll with the punches. I don't know if I would have liked a happy or a depressingly sad ending to the episode, and this one leaves it up in the air a bit, and as of now, I like it.

And I enjoyed this game a lot more than I thought I would. Sitting down and making all those decisions were difficult to say the least. Definitely got more attached to this game than I have compared to any other one I own.

I'm going to go back through the game and try the complete opposite choices.

Just going to have to wait a while so I don't get too emotional again.
mhitt46
mhitt46 - GOW Seriously 1.0 at 12,481 kills.
84,993 TrueAchievement Points136 posts
Last post: 24 Aug at 22:48
Posted on 04 January 13 at 16:14
I love this game and I was hoping against hope that Lee and Clem would end up still together, but I guess it wasnt meant to be.

For me:
Had Christa cut my arm off, I figured after only caring about Omid she should at least have to do one difficult task.

I saved Ben from falling even after he told me to let him go, he was useful even if he did become walker bait at the end.

I kept it civil with Kenny because the guy had been through so much so early on and that is bound to mess someone up if they keep getting berated by others about it.

I crossed the sign by myself I wanted at least one couple to be relatively happy but I told them to find another way around to the Marsh House because if they were going to come with me they had to work for it.

I gave up my weapons because I didnt want the guy to kill me and scar Clem for life.

I explained how I knew it was wrong not to take the supplies from him (didnt know it was his stuff at the time) and that I didnt do it.

I tried killling him but Clem got to him first after she bashed his head with a lamp (head in the bowling bag is even more disturbing than the cannible farmers).

At the end I had told clem to find Christ and Omid and not to shoot me because I still wanted her to not be innocent (in hindsight I probably should have had her shoot me due to the fact I might smell her and go after her when I turn).
Life is a journey you take only once, it is best to start off on the right foot.
JungleWookiee
JungleWookiee - Wizard
187,075 TrueAchievement Points217 completed games(Includes owned DLC)424 posts
Last post: 27 Oct at 22:13
Posted on 10 January 13 at 10:57, Edited on 10 January 13 at 12:00 by JungleWookiee
For some reason I was alone in the hospital at the beginning of Episode 5. Lee had to cut his own arm himself. It was disguting.

As for the rest, I didn't saved Ben and didn't show the bite to the group, that's why I was alone I think. I didn't saved Ben because I was disapointed about the game killing either Carley or Doug, I felt like the game do not quite keep up to his promise and that Ben will die anyway (looks like he indeed die for some stupid reason at the begining of Chapter 5...)

Anyway, I lost my temper to Kenny. Looks like the way out the attic is found the same way anyway.

I crossed the sign, felt and ramboed my way to the Marsh House with a butcher knife I somehow found in a kitchen we allready looted before.

I gave up my weapon and strangled the stranger to death one handed.

Finally, I get Clem to shoot me, to harden them an so on...

All in all, really great game, better than I think it would be. I was kinda disapointed about how Lee and pals hold the idiot ball harder and harder as time goes by, and how the choices you made did not really alter the story (that guy dies here instead of there, big deal...) but it was an overall great experience. I now hope that the inevitable season 2 gets better in that regards. I'll buy it for sure.
HiradC
HiradC - first attempt at destiny raid, we had to leave it on the last boss after a few tries :S
73 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 59.39% (Includes owned DLC) - 58 more achievements required to reach 60%703 posts
Last post: 28 Oct at 20:05
Posted on 10 January 13 at 19:53
it's because you didn't tell them bitten junglewookie, the later state probs wouldn't have gone had I not admitted it.
Christa cut off my arm
got pissed with Kenny-to be honest I was sick of the selfish arsehole, wanted him dead so happily left him with Ben, tried to brain him with the bust lol
didn't give up my weapons, I was on the fence about killing the guy but he did reveal his psycho self, clem actually shot him for me
I didn't have clem shoot me, kept telling myself right up to the end it could still be the bloodloss and trauma making me pass out and might not turn
cried a bit lol, first game I can remember evinced such emotion from me, the connection and how protective I felt over Clementine was immense. Don't know if I'd replay it knowing it can't be prevented in the end. Also if decisions are going to carry over to the 2nd series I don't know if I want to change anything.
take me seriously at your own risk
The Nerevarine - Destiny...
99 completed games(Includes owned DLC)29 solutions568 posts
Last post: 14 Oct at 19:41
Posted on 11 January 13 at 00:59, Edited on 11 January 13 at 01:00 by The Nerevarine
I am surprised so many people cut off Lee's arm. In the chapter in the hotel parking lot, when they bring Ben's friend back after he's been bit, they chop off his leg and he still turns, so I thought that was a clear indicator/foreshadowing that method wouldn't work. Funny, Lee still acts like he has only one arm afterwards - he complains that it's not working shortly after - pretty lame, honestly.

Anyway, to answer the question: I didn't chop off his arm, I showed the bite, I calmed the situation down with Kenny fine, kept the weapon, and had Clementine leave without shooting Lee... I told her to go find the girl and the guy, whatever their names were.
HiradC
HiradC - first attempt at destiny raid, we had to leave it on the last boss after a few tries :S
73 completed games(Includes owned DLC)Achievement Completion Percentage: 59.39% (Includes owned DLC) - 58 more achievements required to reach 60%703 posts
Last post: 28 Oct at 20:05
Posted on 11 January 13 at 17:50, Edited on 11 January 13 at 17:50 by HiradC
The Nerevarine said:I am surprised so many people cut off Lee's arm. In the chapter in the hotel parking lot, when they bring Ben's friend back after he's been bit, they chop off his leg and he still turns, so I thought that was a clear indicator/foreshadowing that method wouldn't work. Funny, Lee still acts like he has only one arm afterwards - he complains that it's not working shortly after - pretty lame, honestly.

Anyway, to answer the question: I didn't chop off his arm, I showed the bite, I calmed the situation down with Kenny fine, kept the weapon, and had Clementine leave without shooting Lee... I told her to go find the girl and the guy, whatever their names were.
Ben's friend wasn't bitten he just had his leg caught in a trap, everyone has the infection at least as a carrier, so when people die by any means unless severe trauma is suffered to the brain they turn into a walker, Ben reveals this in the motorhome (or if you've watched the tv series its in 2nd season). For me it was due to being a fan of the series that made me cut off the arm, Herschel (same guy from game who owns the farm and asks you to leave) gets bitten in the leg and the protagonist cuts his leg off and he doesn't turn. So I imagine anyone having seen that will go down that route.
take me seriously at your own risk