Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

The Tech Behind IllumiRoom

• BrassBrumBrassBrum228,373
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:19
    A full length video of the magic behind the latest Microsoft tech

Please click here to read the story: The Tech Behind IllumiRoom
  • Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:27
    This will be perfect for my game room. If and when it is released I will be picking it up.
    You can run but why die tired!
  • Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:31
    I would certainly be interested
    LTspeirs
  • Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:40
    I am interested but think its going to be difficult to use in normal homes. More of a novelty then an everyday product
  • EMCEE ARTHUREMCEE ARTHUR213,873
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:48
    Why the heck would I want this? Just make the gaming system better. Kinect and peripherals suck!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:49, Edited on 29 April 13 at 17:52 by
    Was that Mario Kart? :S Anyways not really impressed, that would only look good when its dark, I'll reckon any light shining in probably messes that up.
  • MatrarchMatrarch1,730,961
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:51
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:
    Why the heck would I want this? Just make the gaming system better. Kinect and peripherals suck!
    So.... I'm gonna guess you've not played one? Just one of those blanket assumptions from someone who has never tried the tech?

I have zero problem with people not being interested, but the judgment without trial baffles me.
  • V3ntilatorV3ntilator229,659
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:52
    I already have projector with 100" screen, so i dont need this at all.

Secondly.. It would be better with not using a TV at all with this, and just a projector screen instead.
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 17:56
    Matrarch said:
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:
    So.... I'm gonna guess you've not played one? Just one of those blanket assumptions from someone who has never tried the tech?

I have zero problem with people not being interested, but the judgment without trial baffles me.
    Yeah, I do have a kinect so I have clearly tried it. Sorry that is baffling to you.
    Yeah, I do have a kinect so I have clearly tried it. Sorry that is baffling to you.
  • MatrarchMatrarch1,730,961
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:09, Edited on 29 April 13 at 18:10 by Matrarch
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:
    Matrarch said:
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:

My fault, most people who state things like that have not even bothered to try. I didn't comb you tag to affirm my assumption, so that's on me. Have you put decent time into it? What about it sucks to you? Bad tracking? Bad voice recognition? The fact that it takes up so much space? I'm legitimately curious.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,665,109
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:11
    This will be a day one purchase for me if I get the next gen console. I saw the video this morning and instantly loved the idea.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,567,910
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:20
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:
    Like it or not, this is how to improve the gaming system. The Xbox 360 is what, 7 and a half years old? They've already pushed that tech to its limits by now, and the only way to improve is to add more.

If you are looking for "hardcore" gaming system improvements, just skip this and purchase the next-generation console when it releases.
    Gamers have only two hobbies: playing games, and complaining about those games.
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:22
    Matrarch said:
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:
    Matrarch said:
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:

My fault, most people who state things like that have not even bothered to try. I didn't comb you tag to affirm my assumption, so that's on me. Have you put decent time into it? What about it sucks to you? Bad tracking? Bad voice recognition? The fact that it takes up so much space? I'm legitimately curious.
    Sluggish detection, longer system startup, requires quite a bit of open space (I have minor foot injuries from hitting the couch), and I just don't find the moving around games to be as fun as I had hopes for. That is just preference. I was not meaning to imply that everyone thinks the Kinect stinks. Just an opinion, and you know what they are worth.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:26
    Smartglass. Zune HD. Vision Camera. Original Steering Wheel. Wireless headset. That's how I feel.

Kinect's been the only thing to survive so far. Let's see what devs jump on board with this and decide to do.

Also that last point, about the living room space, yeah good luck.

Hopefull but with Microsoft, I'll always be skeptical after past failed investments.
    "You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive..."
  • Team BretherTeam Brether1,519,122
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:28
    Hmm, kinect doesn't work in the summer daylight hours as it is, and illumiroom will work best in the dark. Obviously they've tried to address this problem so fair enough, but having tech you can only use after dark is a tad bit annoying.
    Seems there might be an increased demand for blackout curtains and a lot of pasty faced gamers in the coming years!
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:29
    xPut Name Herex said:
    EMCEE ARTHUR said:
    Like it or not, this is how to improve the gaming system. The Xbox 360 is what, 7 and a half years old? They've already pushed that tech to its limits by now, and the only way to improve is to add more.

If you are looking for "hardcore" gaming system improvements, just skip this and purchase the next-generation console when it releases.
    I agree that new things should be tried. I just already have issues with getting the room dark enough to see my projection hdtv during the day. I am pretty sure you would have to block must of the outdoor light during the day to really enjoy this. Maybe they can sell curtains along with this. :-) My blinds don't get it done.

To be honest, I am really enjoying games on my current 360. As long as we keep getting great games like Dishonored, and Bioshock: Infinite, I see no reason to need an upgrade to the console either. Again, just opinions. Not trying to be a hater. Everyone is entitled to their preferences.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,567,910
    Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:30
    Shadow Enz said:
    Smartglass. Zune HD. Vision Camera. Original Steering Wheel. Wireless headset. That's how I feel.

Kinect's been the only thing to survive so far. Let's see what devs jump on board with this and decide to do.

Hopefull but with Microsoft, I'll always be skeptical after past failed investments.
    At least there's no Vita
    Gamers have only two hobbies: playing games, and complaining about those games.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:48, Edited on 29 April 13 at 18:49 by
    xPut Name Herex said:
    Shadow Enz said:

At least there's no Vita
    Vita's actually doing good, in that it's still kicking, and being carried into integration on the next console.

Have you played the Vita?

If you wanted to go blow-for-blow on my speaking points, you'll note that none of the PS3's accessories have lost support or been discontinued, made especially easier since they're all bluetooth. Oh and they're all rechargable through the system, you know, cuz Sony don't need play & charge kits to rape their customers. They got Vita memory cards for that laugh
    "You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive..."
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 April 13 at 18:48
    Why would someone want this?
    Thor~
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads