Forum for the Bean Dive 2023 Event

Bean Dive 2013 FAQ

• BeanpotterBeanpotter1,995,254
    Posted on 23 June 13 at 15:29, Edited on 29 June 13 at 17:44 by Chad and Jessie
    Hi and welcome to the FAQ for Bean Dive 4! I'll try and cover everything old and new but I'm sure there'll be further questions, which you can post in here and we'll do our best to answer.

Bean Dive? When is Bean Dive 2013 happening?
    We'd like as many people as possible to start on Saturday, 29th of June and if you can't start then, the 'Event' will continue until the 7th of July. Nothing will really change after that point but we'd just like to contain the madness!

Bean Dive? What is a Bean Dive? It's a community wide event that invites you to put all those backlog games you own onto your tag by popping a single achievement in each (or try to pop an absolute minimum), so you can stop pretending that they don't exist. Original thread HERE.

Wait? You start all your games, but only get ONE achievement in them? What’s the point?
    The idea behind it was to force you to play all those games you picked up in a sale or just never got around to playing. It also destroys your completion percentage. Hopefully, you'll take up the challenge to get it back up to it's pre-Dive glory before the next Dive rolls around. (You may accidently get more than one achievement but this is ok.)

How do I join in?
    I'm mightily proud to say that TA has been beavering away in his coding pit and has made things even easier with much more site integration. There's whistles AND bells to hopefully distract you from the stupidity make your Dive that little bit more enjoyable. smile

Ok, here's the new stuff...
    -To start your Dive, simply press the Start My Dive button on the event page.
    -This instantly starts Dive tracking and captures your stats at that exact moment.
    -When you start your Dive a 'Dive Started' message will appear in your feed.
    -ALL achievements in new games earned while Diving will be grouped in to a single, expandable item on your feed.
    -You'll see a new 'Dive Summary' box on the right side of your home page, giving you various Dive-related information.
    (The Friend feed items and Summary box can all be turned off, if you want, by editing your Site Settings.)
    -All Dives will have their own Bean Dive page on the site which lists changes in stats and lists all the games Dived.
    -When you finish your Dive, go to that page and click Finish my Dive
    -You'll get a 'Dive Finished' message on your feed, listing the number of games Dived and the completion percentage drop.
    -As you recover, you'll get milestones to say how far you've come and, when you return to your pre-Dive completion percentage, you'll get another feed message to congratulate you.

WARNING Be absolutely sure you've finished your dive before you press the FINISH button as all recorded stats will be reset if/when you decide to start another.

I've finished my Dive and want to do another one
    Wha! You crazy? But, ok. You can start another by clicking the Start My Dive button again but, to stop people from spamming Dives, you'll be limited to 4 a year.

More than 1 achievement popped when I started playing, does it still count?
    Yes. Although the idea is to pop as few achievements as possible and then move on to the next game, we know there are certain games where you can't help but pop multiple achievements when starting it, just try and keep it to a minimum, for maximum effect.

Is there a minimum amount of games I need to make it a Dive?
    No, not really, but to make it worthwhile, I'd say make it at least 10 if you can.

Remember, this is a stupid idea, devised by an idiot and adopted by fools, so have fun! dive
    Mame Tobikomi!
  • pedgzpedgz946,786
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 04:22, Edited on 27 June 13 at 04:25 by pedgz
    guess i'm the first to post a question(s)...

1. regarding the "new stuff" of making it easier compared to last year's adding games manually:
    so once i click "start my dive" all games started from that point is part of the dive, yes? and i get to choose when to finish it by clicking "finish my dive," yes?
    does this mean if i wanted to add more games coming out later this year (or up until the end of this year's bean dive in july 2014) after i "start my dive," i do not need to/cannot click on "finish my dive?"

which brings me to my second related question...

2. as stated above, i can start another dive after my first one. is this a good method of addressing my first question above? i am just a bit confused about the warning above, since it says something about resetting stats. the way i understood it is it meant the first dive was voided if i started another dive - or did i read it wrong?

and a third minor question...
    3. when you mentioned a limit of 4 dives a year, did it mean calendar year or bean dive event year?

let me illustrate what i'm planning to do here...
    i have a completion right now of 88%. say i plan to dive 20 initial games, to which would probably drop it down to 73-75%. i click "finish my dive." my stats are recorded. what if after this i realized i wanted to add more, either as games already released that i want to add or games that will be released after the event ends (e.g., rocksmith 2014)? should i then hold off clicking "finish" earlier and just click it much, much later; or, it would be better to just start another dive. if i do start another dive, what happens to the stats recorded from the first dive? do the games started from the first dive now considered "un-dived" and only those games started from the second dive considered "dived?"
    (the way i did it last year with the manual layout was i started my initial 20-game dive and then carefully added more games that either came out later (e.g., assassin's creed 3) or those that were in my stack but was apprehensive at first during the start of the event but eventually decided to add it after completing my inital dives - to which i'm proud to say i managed to complete all and recover from except for one app that has totally stopped working for me).

thanks!
    Engage the situation. Arederik -> Cosmic Eggs -> Rakol The Black Thumb.
  • ITS ALivExITS ALivEx454,043
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 05:07
    To add to pedgz questions, since I was going to ask that similarly.

If I click start my bean dive after the 29th, and don't click finish my bean dive before the 7th, what happens? Also I'm assuming I need to register between those dates, but after the 7th I can start new bean dives anytime before the contest year is up (as long as I've done the initial registration)?
  • pedgzpedgz946,786
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 15:00
    one more question i should add:
    is there an "exclusion option" wherein i don't want a certain game(s) to be part of my dive since i am already aware it will take a really long time to complete?
    Engage the situation. Arederik -> Cosmic Eggs -> Rakol The Black Thumb.
  • MAOraNzaMAOraNza509,371
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 19:25
    Dumb question: new DLCs are counted in the dive?
    MAOraNza AKBAR!
  • rekikirerekikire2,192,842
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 22:58
    pedgz said:
    is there an "exclusion option" wherein i don't want a certain game(s) to be part of my dive since i am already aware it will take a really long time to complete?
    Just don't start them during the dive.
  • imaidiot19imaidiot191,943,668
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 02:33, Edited on 28 June 13 at 08:28 by imaidiot19
    pedgz said:

1. regarding the "new stuff" of making it easier compared to last year's adding games manually:
    so once i click "start my dive" all games started from that point is part of the dive, yes? and i get to choose when to finish it by clicking "finish my dive," yes?
    does this mean if i wanted to add more games coming out later this year (or up until the end of this year's bean dive in july 2014) after i "start my dive," i do not need to/cannot click on "finish my dive?"

2. as stated above, i can start another dive after my first one. is this a good method of addressing my first question above? i am just a bit confused about the warning above, since it says something about resetting stats. the way i understood it is it meant the first dive was voided if i started another dive - or did i read it wrong?

3. when you mentioned a limit of 4 dives a year, did it mean calendar year or bean dive event year?

i have a completion right now of 88%. say i plan to dive 20 initial games, to which would probably drop it down to 73-75%. i click "finish my dive." my stats are recorded. what if after this i realized i wanted to add more, either as games already released that i want to add or games that will be released after the event ends (e.g., rocksmith 2014)? should i then hold off clicking "finish" earlier and just click it much, much later; or, it would be better to just start another dive. if i do start another dive, what happens to the stats recorded from the first dive? do the games started from the first dive now considered "un-dived" and only those games started from the second dive considered "dived?"
    (the way i did it last year with the manual layout was i started my initial 20-game dive and then carefully added more games that either came out later (e.g., assassin's creed 3) or those that were in my stack but was apprehensive at first during the start of the event but eventually decided to add it after completing my inital dives - to which i'm proud to say i managed to complete all and recover from except for one app that has totally stopped working for me).

thanks!
    This is how I understand how it works. (Bean can correct if I have misstated anything )You have the 9 days to do the official 'Bean Dive' So you can start as soon as the start button appears, and you have until the 7th to finish your official dive. After that time the official Bean Dive time will end. If you don't click the 'stop' button, it will most likely just continue on, until you press stop...but that is not the design of the bean dive. The stats will not display until you press stop, so you have nothing to work toward...and any extra achievements you earn before pressing stop on other games will just mean they won't count. The stats will be based off of when you press stop only. The goal is to get your total completion percentage back to where it was prior to the dive. It doesn't matter what games you play at this point. You can play games you started 5 years ago, as every achievement earned increases your overall completion percentage. In a few month, if you decide to start more games, then go for it, but they will not be a part of the official dive. The will lower your percentage though, and since the goal is to gain percentage, this would hurt your chances of making the goal. But people start games all the time throughout the year. As long as you are gaining more achievements than you are adding after the dive, then you will be ok.

The statements about 4 dives a year are for the crazy people who dive games, maybe finish early, or not, and want to dive more...So you have 4 other times throughout the year, up until the next bean dive, to start another dive...The warning though, is because if you push the start button again, your stats are reset...so your previous dive disappears...minus your drop in percentage from the last one of course. So the stats you would see on the right of your page all go back to zero, and you would have to start over with new games, etc.

I personally only do one dive a year. If I start new games, I don't make them a new dive...they just lower my percentage and give me that much more to work toward...My goal is to get back to where I started, and it will take me at least a year to do it...I don't want my stats to reset, so I am not pushing that start button again. It is your choice on whether you want all your hard earned dived games to not count or not, but still hurt your overall percentage.
    Yes, I know I am.
  • BoothdomBoothdom302,834
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 08:27
    MAOraNza said:
    Yeah, I'd be interested to know the answer to this one too. Have a few DLCs in the locker I'd be willing to throw in to the ring.....
  • imaidiot19imaidiot191,943,668
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 08:31, Edited on 28 June 13 at 08:32 by imaidiot19
    Boothdom said:
    MAOraNza said:
    Yeah, I'd be interested to know the answer to this one too. Have a few DLCs in the locker I'd be willing to throw in to the ring.....
    How it has worked in the past is that DLCs don't count as a 'new game', unless you haven't started the main game either. Then you can pop a DLC achievement for the game, and it will count as a game.

The only thing that starting new DLC may do to your dive is lower your percentage by a smidgen, just for the added achievements, and that is only if you base stats on 'only DLC I own'...but it won't count as a new game started if you have already started the main game.
    Yes, I know I am.
  • MAOraNzaMAOraNza509,371
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 08:46
    Excellent, thanks for the info!wave
    MAOraNza AKBAR!
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce2,129,996
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 12:51
    I has a question!! (sorry if this has previously been addressed)

Over the course of the Dive week, if I play other games that I have previously started and gain achievements in them, how does this affect the Dive tracking system (if at all)?

As an example:
    I start Game A today (not part of the Dive)
    I then start the Dive and Dive Games C-K
    I then play some more of Game A and pick up a few more achievements in it, as well as a little bit of Game B (which is a game that I started a few months ago).
    Then I Bive games L-R
    I then, just for the lols, play a bit more of Game A
    I then end the Dive

What happens then? Does my tracked completion % drop get screwed up because playing games A and B caused it to go up instead of down?
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • PhoenixAndyPhoenixAndy279,252
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 13:58
    ChewieOnIce said:

Over the course of the Dive week, if I play other games that I have previously started and gain achievements in them, how does this affect the Dive tracking system (if at all)?

As an example:
    I then play some more of Game A and pick up a few more achievements in it, as well as a little bit of Game B (which is a game that I started a few months ago).
    Then I Bive games L-R
    I then end the Dive

What happens then? Does my tracked completion % drop get screwed up because playing games A and B caused it to go up instead of down?
    What I think would happen here, is that your dive (adding games C-K) would appear to not be as deep as it might otherwise have been, as it will look at the difference in completion % at the start & end of the dive, and how many new games there are. By adding achievements for non-dive games during the dive period, you've raised you completion a little, effectively making the dive more shallow.

So in a way, yes, the drop in completion % will be innacurate, as you'll have added some extra earned achievements. But it's no worse than accidentally popping 2 or more achievements in the dive games.
  • Chad and JessieChad and Jessie1,706,467
    Posted on 28 June 13 at 20:37
    Sorry in advance for the long post and if I've missed any questions. I've going to try to answer everything in the thread...lots of good questions smile

pedgz said:

thanks!
    1. Basically, the start button records your data before the dive, the finish button lets the site know you're done with your planned dive. The FF notifications are based off these two buttons.

Example: GenericJessie You can see the 'started dive', 'won 3 achievements', and the 'Finished dive' notifications with all the games from my dive grouped together. These are triggered from the buttons.

All the recovery milestones are based off your current %, so they will change, alter, if you start games after you've pushed your 'finish dive button'. From the test gt, you can see that I had already hit 100%, then I started a new game. Because I had already hit my 'finish dive' button, it didn't get grouped together with my other dived game, and it doesn't show on my bean dive page . However, because my stats had changed, I had to earn 4 more achievements in order to show back at 100% bean dive recovery. Since I had already triggered my bean dive milestones, I don't get them again on my FF.

Now, if I wanted to dive again (yes, some peeps dive multiple times in a year), if I wanted my stats to be reset, if I want to be able to retrigger all the recovery milestones, and have everything based off of where I am today, I can push the 'Start dive' button and I'll in effect have a new reset dive.

From your illustration, I'd suggest starting your dive, diving your 20 games, and then pushing the finish dive button. When the new games are released, don't push the start button a second time, your stats will auto adjust to include those added achievements. If you wanted your stats reset, then push the button...the warning is just there so people understand pushing the 'start dive' button will reset your stats and all the extras we've added for fun. If you want everything to apply to your first bean dive this year, don't start a second dive.

I think that might have answered question 2 as well....at least I hope I answered them and not confused people more :{

3. 4 dives in a Bean Dive year...so from July 7th 2013 to July 7th 2014 you'll have 4 dives, or 4 times you can reset your bean dive stats, milestones, etc.

Boothdom said:
    MAOraNza said:
    DLC is going to depend on how you have your site settings. If you have 'only DLC I own' then starting DLC will effect your stats, if you have 'No DLC' then it won't, and if you have 'All DLC' then it already was before. However, starting DLC will not also be wrapped up into the 'extras' for the event... for example it won't show HERE, nor will it be wrapped into the other Bean Diving games on your FF. Only NEW games should show up in those places....we hope wink

Everard Cox said:
    To add to pedgz questions, since I was going to ask that similarly.

If I click start my bean dive after the 29th, and don't click finish my bean dive before the 7th, what happens? Also I'm assuming I need to register between those dates, but after the 7th I can start new bean dives anytime before the contest year is up (as long as I've done the initial registration)?
    This year, there isn't any sort of 'registration'...just hit the 'start dive' button and you're good to go. Mostly we just wanted it to be more user friendly. So instead of people adding all their games they are diving to a list (some people have a few hundred games shock), the site will pick up any game you start after you hit the start button.

As for when to dive, you can start your first Bean Dive any time after June 29th 0:00 GMT, anytime. You've got 4 dives you can use whenever during the year, so doesn't have to be during the event. I'm going to make a bit of an assumption on the 'don't hit the finish bean dive button' because I didn't actually test that, but if you don't hit it, I'd guess you'd never end up with 'End completion %' or a 'Final dive %' stat, and you'd never get the 'finished dive' notification on your FF. There could be more but we'll have to wait until we all get the button for me to check.

Long story short, lots of people like to dive on July 7th, as that is the official anniversary of the first Bean Dive. However, if you're diving 100+ games, you can't get it done in just one day, so we've made the event an entire week (9 days) this year. While you don't have to dive during the event, I think it up's the fun to do so. It's kinda like you can run a 5k any day, but you've got to do it on race day, with the rest of the peeps to actually be in the race.

pedgz said:
    I'm a bit unsure exactly what you mean. If you mean you've got a game(s) that you haven't started yet, you want to add them to you card during bean diving, but you don't want them to count in your stats...No, there isn't a way to exclude that. All stats are based off of your current % and excluding games would squew the stats (everyone would be 100% all the time smile).

If it's a game you want on your card, but you don't want its achievements to be counted for your bean dive recovery...I'd suggestion starting it and force scan before you hit the 'Start Bean Dive' button. Your starting % would then include that game/games and your recovery stats will depend on everything you have stated AFTER pushing the start button will. If you just don't want to see that game, and its low completion % to count against you at all, don't start the game. Once a game is on your card, its achievements are added to your stats.

ChewieOnIce said:

As an example:
    Then I Bive games L-R
    I then end the Dive

I wouldn't say your stats are 'screwed up', it just won't be the lowest it could be. The 'idea' behind the dive is to gain one and only one achievement in all your unstated games, dropping your completion % to the lowest it could possible by (given your available games). To reach the lowest, deepest dive, gaining more than 1 achievement, or extra achievements in already played games will increase your % from its lowest possible drop. Does gaining more than one screw anything up??? NO. Will you have your lowest possible completion % and the stats to recover from that lowest possible??? NO.

So, in short, anything you add it to your card will affect your stats. If you're shooting for the lowest possible %, then gain one and only one achievement in your unstated games, without gaining other achievements. If you're just having fun, using this as an excuse to start some games, and just want a record of where you were before you started them, don't worry too much about it and have fun.
  • Posted on 29 June 13 at 02:30
    I've encountered a bug?

On my feed: Mystic Typh00n has started a Bean Dive

It doesn't say: Mystic Typh00n has started a Bean Dive as part of the Bean Dive 2013 event

I've seen it a few times for other people.
    How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
  • SpazpolSpazpol1,248,115
    Posted on 29 June 13 at 02:34
    Same, its also not counting me in the stats for the event... weird.
    Just because you're necessary, doesn't mean you're important....
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 June 13 at 03:03
    This has also happened to me. What gives?
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo328,125
    Posted on 29 June 13 at 03:08
    Mickford said:
    This has also happened to me. What gives?
    Confirmed that, little bit different to mine.
    'We all make choices, but in the end those choices make us'
  • Chad and JessieChad and Jessie1,706,467
    Posted on 29 June 13 at 04:15
    Mystic Typh00n said:
    I've encountered a bug?

On my feed: Mystic Typh00n has started a Bean Dive

It doesn't say: Mystic Typh00n has started a Bean Dive as part of the Bean Dive 2013 event

I've seen it a few times for other people.
    I noticed this on your, and a few other peoples FF too. I have NO idea why at this point but I'm sure Rich will have it all sorted out tomorrow. I'll fill ou in asap.
  • Posted on 29 June 13 at 04:45
    Should I stop diving, or carry on.
    How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
  • bonster20bonster20325,859
    Posted on 29 June 13 at 04:46
    Yeah, I'm having the generic "has started a bean dive" issue, too. I was looking forward to seeing my name on the leaderboards tonight, too, before everyone else has a chance to catch up.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads