Xbox 360

Forum for Xbox 360 related things

Games 99% of the general populace didn't like, but you really got into...

• Dancing RobDancing Rob157,637
    Posted on 26 June 13 at 16:13
    The sister thread!

Three stand-out options for me, all deeply flawed gems offering something no other game has, but in such a way to immediately rule out mass appeal.

Alpha Protocol - the game that inspired this thread.

Interesting characters, the best interface I've yet seen for decision making (ripped off to great effect by Telltale's Walking Dead game), and a real feeling that the game would never be the same twice. Unfortunately, some slight shoddy graphics, very poor boss battles, and a general lack of polish and shonkiness meant it was never going to be a hit.

Deadly Premonition

mechanically, it's terrible in just about every respect. The music fades in and out seemingly at random, the battle scenes are awful, you've a succession of hideous QTEs and just about everything else is equally poor. However, the way the story is constructed genuinely couldn't be done in any other form of media, taking something that is broadly a Twin Peaks rip off into completely new territory. Isn't that right Zack?

Spec Ops: The Line

Most of us complain about military shooters dominating everything, yet this game acts as a commentary on this, at the same time as playing like just the kind of mediocre shooter that gives the genre its reputation. The first 'anti-war' shooter, heavy on Apocalypse Now references, and I get the feeling even the blandly generic name is a very clever in joke.

A game where you 'succeed' by putting the game down, and playing something else instead is always going to be an interesting experiment, but far too many people seemed not to 'get' it.
  • Posted on 26 June 13 at 16:22
    Hmmm....honestly I am going to have to go with the game that has got so much hate on the sister thread: Brink.

Like I stated over there: it certainly is not the greatest game ever made, but it had many qualities I enjoyed.

I would also like to throw in The Force Unleashed II. I know it has a 3.6 right now (slightly above average, meaning 99% is not accurate to say "hated it") but I really enjoyed the storyline, regardless of how short and simplified it was compared to the original. And I am still hoping for a third installment smile
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 June 13 at 04:00
    Yaris stands out. Everyone seems to hate it except for me. All you do is stay to the left and you are golden. What is so bad about that?
  • smakzillaasmakzillaa987,619
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 05:17
    The Darkness, honestly if it wasn't an acquaintance tell me about this game, I would never have heard of it and who doesn't like running around as a mobster with dark powers and
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Fable 3 - I won't deny I got it for free with the Games of Demand thing, but I honestly like it to the point I got the Traitor's Keep Dlc, but honestly it also might be because it's free.

Fusion: Genesis - It's a twinstick shooter rpg in space, and Portal 2 had started my obsession with space, this only helped to further it. Won't deny I got it when it was on sale.

Hydrophobia - Considering most of the reviews that have been made were before the title update, some of them seem unfair. Makes me sad there will never be a follow-up

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts: It reminded me of Diddy Kong Racing and felt still like Banjo Kazooie, but I'd still would want a legit Banjo Threeie

Viva Pinata - It was just fun -shrugs-
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob157,637
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 07:28
    Fusion Genesis is another good example actually. Ludicrously overambitious, with a budget several times lower than the dev required to fully realise all the ideas contained within.

@DarkMaterials

Even your 'positive' description of Yaris there makes it sound bloody awful!
  • Das KuhnenDas Kuhnen770,704
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 14:19
    You don't hear so much hate for them because they make for a good boost to gamerscore most times, but I really enjoy the TellTale and C.S.I. point and click games. Sherlock Holmes as well. Only mentioning them because the majority of the time these show up in my feed, the comments that follow are along the lines of "glad that's finally done", "so boring" and "this game sucked, thanks for the easy gs"

Growing up on King's Quest and Myst really shaped my appreciation for such games.
    Turns out, actually playing a game you want to finish helps you complete it...
  • drabikdrabik376,376
    Posted on 27 June 13 at 17:55

I had so much fun with this game. It's not your standard movie-to-video-game type game. It expands on the movie with a new story, giving you two separate campaigns, depending on your decisions. The gameplay is mixed too, depending on your decisions (fighting as either a human or Na'avi). I'd recommend it, especially if you are a fan of the film.
    [20:15:34] Dimmock : Turtles never lose, they live longer then us so it is at worst a delayed win.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy631,531
    Posted on 30 June 13 at 10:23
    Not Xbox but Heavenly Sword - freaking awesome game who's main complaint was that it was too short, however, it was longer than God of War 3 but no one seemed to mention that

Another NinjaTheory game.. Enslaved. I thought it struck a great balance between combat/prince of persia style puzzles and without getting into the "here's a puzzle section that tries to fit into the world but really makes no sense as to why it's there, here's a combat section - conveniently puzzle free". Graphics/audio were top notch and the characters were likable if poorly named.

Clive Barker's Jericho - graphics were nothing great but it was a surprisingly good game

ShellShock 2 - lackluster ending but very surprising game overall

Front Lines Fuels of War - the cartoonish aspect in a "realistic" world was a turn off but once you get past that the game was a lot of fun to actually play.

Green Lantern - I'll admit I've got a soft spot for Superhero games but this one really stood out among them and didn't get boring the way Wolverine did.

King Kong - while some things felt a little too staged I really enjoyed this game. It was very well paced, good variety, and surprisingly good voice acting. I didn't really pay attention to the story since I knew I'd hate it if I did.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • Posted on 30 June 13 at 16:59
    Vampire Rain. Sure it's not a run and gun game, it's not intended to be, it's stealth and that requires you to be.... Stealthy.

Resident Evil ORC. The closest I think we'll get to classic resident evil in a while, and that's just sad. Classic >>>>>> Modern

Brink. A fun objective game, just play with others or you'll poo yourself.
    Xbox One Owner, and Damn Happy About It
  • Zonrith1Zonrith1671,244
    Posted on 30 June 13 at 22:24
    Enchanted Arms. Early-release JRPG on the system. While it had no replay value and was quite linear, I was impressed with the in-game humor, the grid-based combat system, the multitude of party make-up you could use via the golems, and the main character was only emo for a small portion of the game. Horrid voice-acting was actually a plus (not Two Worlds funny, but this game is far more solid than Two Worlds was). I really like playing this one, though it doesn't seem to get much love from other RPG fans.
  • Posted on 30 June 13 at 22:40
    Skyrim
    Gamertag recently changed from EliteSatsuma84 to ChilinOnAToilet
  • Das KuhnenDas Kuhnen770,704
    Posted on 01 July 13 at 14:44
    Leo Ascendent said:
    Resident Evil ORC. The closest I think we'll get to classic resident evil in a while, and that's just sad. Classic >>>>>> Modern
    Good one! I thought the game did very well with the fan service. I ended up enjoying the DLC campaign a little more than the main game, but it was cool to get the different perspectives of the original outbreak.
    Turns out, actually playing a game you want to finish helps you complete it...
  • Posted on 05 July 13 at 14:20
    Resident Evil 6. I love this game and still haven't finished it. Loads of crybabies going on about the first 3. I love the new direction and the new graphics. The RE Series can only improve. That's my 2 cents! uurhhh
  • The CripplersThe Cripplers1,285,621
    Posted on 08 July 13 at 08:50
    Alpha Protocol. I really liked it. The dialogue wheel was probably the best in any game. I played through that many multiple times.
  • Posted on 08 July 13 at 15:12
    RE5 - that was awesome!
  • Posted on 30 July 14 at 18:55
    A few of mine would be:

Tony Hawk Ride and Shred

Yeah they were frustrating and clunky when I first started playing, but once I got the hang of them they're pretty fun.

Code of Princess (3DS)

It was obviously trying to use the half naked protagonist on the cover to sell copies, but I thought it was actually a fairly decent sidescrolling beat em up.

Ninety Nine Nights 1 & 2

Blatant Dynasty Warriors clones, but fun nonetheless.

Rogue Warrior

Had an absolute blast playing this with a bunch of friends, we were laughing our asses off at almost everything in this game. It may have been for the wrong reasons, but we enjoyed this game so much.
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • Posted on 30 July 14 at 19:05
    Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City

Resident Evil 6

Ninety Nine Nights 1

Enchanted Arms

Too Human

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Lost Planet 2

Gotham City Impostors
  • WyyvernWyyvern800,715
    Posted on 05 August 14 at 21:40
    I've got a few.

NFS Undercover - Best in the series if you ask me. Brilliant story.

NFS The Run - Another I really liked. So what it was short? Quality > Quantity.

FUEL - My favourite game on the 360. Generally regarded as boring. Regarded by me as the most fun you can have on the 360.

Deadlight - What is wrong with it? Really?
    [Insert clever and unique signature here]
  • Posted on 09 August 14 at 12:18
    fable 2/3 - not great but nowhere near as bad as everyone says, it was fun while it lasted

resident evil 5 - just coz it wasnt like the old ones doesnt mean it cant still be good

happy wars - dunno what to say about this one
    i'm already dead, i'll rise to fall again
  • Posted on 11 August 14 at 00:02
    Eat Lead - loved the humour and struggled to find anything bad about the game
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 - became the game I mostly play now just has something I can't quite pick out that makes me keep wanting 1 more game
    Duke Nukem - same as eat lead with the humour and for how it says who gives a shit about cover? just run and blow everything in your path away!
    n
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads