Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Boss Battles

• ClumsyOnionClumsyOnion518,141
  • Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:31
    Genuinely found the Four Kings to be one of the easiest bosses in Dark Souls. Hold the Gravelord Sword in both hands, stick on Iron Flesh then let rip, all dead within a minute. Grigori was a pain in the ass tbf though.
    ^ That's a maniac's standpoint.
  • liner bronsonliner bronson1,129,344
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:36
    The four kings is not the final battle in Dark Souls. Far from it, in fact roll
    Ranged humanist, melee misanthrope
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:34
    FishyOutOfWater said:
    Genuinely found the Four Kings to be one of the easiest bosses in Dark Souls. Hold the Gravelord Sword in both hands, stick on Iron Flesh then let rip, all dead within a minute. Grigori was a pain in the ass tbf though.
    With a strength build, they are. Dex build, not so much.

It's good to see such a quality fight on this list!
    My teeth taste funny today. They seem more jagged than normal.
  • TrombonafideTrombonafide1,485,215
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:39
    I loved every boss battle on this list. Well done!

Funny thing, though? When I played Gears on Insane, I was on co-op with a buddy. Through a brilliant stroke of luck, we managed to kill RAAM on our first try with a well-placed Torque Bow bolt to his face.

And don't get me started on the Four Kings on NG+...
  • ClumsyOnionClumsyOnion518,141
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:40, Edited on 10 November 13 at 14:40 by ClumsyOnion
    liner bronson said:
    The four kings is not the final battle in Dark Souls. Far from it, in fact roll
    Hmmm... guess I gave up after those guys so I never saw the rest of the game :P Changed the article to reflect your comment, thanks for the heads up!
    Community Manager @GamR Mag
  • ネメシスネメシス1,413,331
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:44, Edited on 10 November 13 at 14:51 by ネメシス
    Ornstein and Smough > Four Kings
    If you want a truly epic boss fight then try this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPLhATu9pU
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ReazieTV
  • Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:47
    "Fighting" Singe in Dragon's Lair really bit the big one, but that's mainly because of the game's design.
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:47
    Raezie said:
    Ornstein and Smough > Four Kings
    Everyone generally has different battles that game them fits. Ornstein and Smough have always been easy for me. Once you separate them, either one is easy to pick apart.
  • Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:49
    The Dark Souls DLC has some tough bosses too. Manus is pretty hard.

In the main game I thought Smough and Ornstein were harder than any others.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:53
    Senior Chupon said:
    The Dark Souls DLC has some tough bosses too. Manus is pretty hard.

In the main game I thought Smough and Ornstein were harder than any others.
    Kalameet is a bastard. I dread fighting him every single time.
  • AP 8T8AP 8T82,838,402
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:56
    Four Kings - Havel's armour. Stand motionless and swing away for a couple of minutes. Not hard.
  • CHIGGUMSCHIGGUMS254,126
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:56
    How could you not include Bayonetta?? In that final boss fight you literally -
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
  • DimmockDimmock578,369
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 14:58
    There I was about to bitch about the lack of dark souls in this list, I'd have picked biggie and smalls though as that battle is just amazing the first time you do it.

Hell you could fill this entire list with bosses from dark souls. laugh
    ZUS ROCKS! / SSCP -Veal is a lot like Dimmock, an acquired taste.
  • Posted on 10 November 13 at 15:01, Edited on 10 November 13 at 15:04 by PrettyColt21109
    The list was not bad, but it made me realise that there haven't been too many good boss battles this generation. I love the Ninja Gaiden bosses, as they can be hard as nails yet still totally awesome and fun...if you don't die too many times. Darksiders had some good ones also (the first one did at least). Most other games just have them to have them.

ClumsyOnion said:
    Ever felt the need to put down the controller, chainsaw your front door apart, run down the street and punch a dog in the face?
    laugh Love the humour, would read again/10. Heheheh it hit that spot.

Speaking of humour, how about a top 5 funniest games?
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ;)
  • Posted on 10 November 13 at 15:02
    Not a single boss battle from from Devil May cry 4?
    Or how about the whole stage with nothing but most of the games bosses?
    Killing Dante on DMD the first time you ever faced him on that difficulty was something of a battle and sweaty hands to go with.

Then there are the Castlevania Lords of Shadows boss battles.

Just for the lols Lollipop Chainsaws final boss battle too.
  • k0rruptiDk0rruptiD148,827
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 15:02
    Metal Gear Rising had some amazing boss fights, i guess not enough people played it to get any recognition.
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 November 13 at 15:03
    People do realize that if the writer hasn't played a game, he can't very well comment on boss battles from it.....right?
  • k0rruptiDk0rruptiD148,827
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 15:04
    AP 8T8 said:
    Four Kings - Havel's armour. Stand motionless and swing away for a couple of minutes. Not hard.
    So can you explain WHY you say its "not hard" when clearly you used the cheap way to beat it? Its like looking up a walkthrough, following it exactly and then noting how easy it all was.

If you want a challenge why not try a SL1 run of the entire Dark souls? But nope, you don't actually want a challenge, you just want to reserve the right to complain about lack thereof.
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
  • DimmockDimmock578,369
    Posted on 10 November 13 at 15:08, Edited on 10 November 13 at 15:11 by Dimmock
    k0rruptiD said:
    AP 8T8 said:
    So can you explain WHY you say its "not hard" when clearly you used the cheap way to beat it? Its like looking up a walkthrough, following it exactly and then noting how easy it all was.

If you want a challenge why not try a SL1 run of the entire Dark souls? But nope, you don't actually want a challenge, you just want to reserve the right to complain about lack thereof.
    I always run dex builds and my strategy is to use sunlight blade on my balder side sword +15(that A dex scaling) eat a mushroom from the dlc as well as a green blossom then go to town on them, can usual kill the first and take half the health away before he knows what hit him.

There is always that risk of him grabbing me and sucking my humanity away though.

Fun fact, you can hurt them even when they are in their individual death animations.
    ZUS ROCKS! / SSCP -Veal is a lot like Dimmock, an acquired taste.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads