Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games of 2012

• Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:49
    Threequels impress but does XBLA steal the spotlight?

Please click here to read the story: TA Top Five: Games of 2012
  • IronFistofSnuffIronFistofSnuff1,019,005
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:50
    No Borderlands 2? WOW that's a surprise!
  • Dejected SantaDejected Santa1,074,358
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:54
    Hitman Absolution needs some recognition as well.
  • pezza888pezza888179,765
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:54
    Controversial
  • MemoMemo352,219
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:55
    creptor5291 said:
    Yeah that is a pretty scandalous omission! I agree with Far Cry 3, The Walking Dead and Trials Evolution being included though - excellent games! smile
    You are the Detectives; go... and detect.
  • GRWRGRWR312,582
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:56
    For me 2011 was the best year of this generation no doubt. Skyrim, Portal 2, Batman: AC just to name a few
    Cheesy Muffins
  • Medicus PiperMedicus Piper1,071,657
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:57
    How can Dishonored not be in the final five?
  • Achilles337Achilles3371,225,936
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 15:57
    Leaving out Borderlands 2 is just wrong
    Go LSU and SAINTS!!
  • Vermin360Vermin360658,527
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:01
    But The Walking Dead isn't really a game, is it? I'd call it Interactive Fiction. Nice story, nice production value, but "gameplay" was terribly binary and limited.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we grow old because we stop playing.
  • Han D MaidenHan D Maiden586,114
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:09
    Genuinely shocked Borderlands 2 isn't in there but good choices all round otherwise.
  • Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:10
    Why is Darksiders 2 left out? It was better than a majority of the games listed there, and you gave the first game mention for the year it was released, and Darksiders 2 was an even better game than the first.
  • Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:12
    I definitely agree with the top three. I'd switch out Trials for Dishonored, though. And Borderlands 2 should've gotten at least an honorable mention.
  • GuidalityGuidality897,120
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:15
    jonmilton89 said:
    How can Dishonored not be in the final five?
    +1 dishonored should at least replace far cry 3 or trials in the list. Also, syndicate should have gotten an honorable mention for the fantastic co-op mode alone
  • z Mr Man zz Mr Man z410,698
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:17
    I couldn't agree more about Mass Effect 3! It's one of my all time favorite series ever. I love it!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:21
    The Walking Dead? Really? This can't be serious.
    My teeth taste funny today. They seem more jagged than normal.
  • MYL0RMYL0R93,595
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:23
    A DiabeticSloth said:
    For me 2011 was the best year of this generation no doubt. Skyrim, Portal 2, Batman: AC just to name a few
    Hard to argue those 3 games, but I'd go for 2007. AC1, Halo 3, Orange Box, COD4, Mass Effect, and Bioshock.
    COD4 changed the way people look at COD games, so including that, 4 new franchises were spawned in that single year. Plus Rock Band. 2007 was stacked.

The thing that troubles me about looking back at these lists, early in the life cycle we had a lot more new IP's, but it seems like the past few years were simply sequels to those IP's. Much less new titles.
  • SilentRich69SilentRich691,048,104
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:24
    creptor5291 said:
    Borderlands 2 is an unbalanced piece of shit.
    I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all!
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob157,637
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:26
    there's still a lot from this year I haven't got around to playing yet, notably Dishonored, Fez, Mark of the Ninja and XCom, so tricky to comment too much.

Of the ones I have played, Walking Dead was excellent, and redefined 'gameplay', much to the dislike of many people who struggle with anything more complex than brown shooters, certainly in my top 10 somewhere - probably at 2 behind Red Dead Redemption.

The Witcher was an RPG for grown-ups, with decisions more marked than 'say the good thing or the evil thing', whilst ME3 was far more entertaining and enjoyable than the comedy nerd-rage suggested, albeit not quite as enjoyable as watching some of the more extreme frothing from said nerds. Forza Horizon then offered more proof as to why arcade racers are more fun than sim racers.

Finally, and in the full knowledge they're going to do incredibly badly with the TA crowd, Kinect Party and Dance Central 3 are perhaps the two best games for the device, and both were lots of fun - a note to the haterz (or however the cool kids spell it), just because a game isn't aimed squarely at your 17-25 male shooty shooty demographic, doesn't mean it's bad.
  • moNoKnoTmoNoKnoT133,148
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:26
    Wow, not even an honorable mention for Borderlands 2!

I voted Borderlands 2 as my game of the generation.

- Kevin.
  • matdanmatdan862,275
    Posted on 21 November 13 at 16:33
    Great list for once minus most of the honorable mentions.

Although I must say that someone will notice that The Witcher 2 is missing.

Spec Ops the Line, Transformers Fall of Cybertron, Lego Batman 2, XCom Enemy Unknown and Borderlands 2 all worthwhile mentions to replace Halo 4/Assassin's Creed III. Not really all that much to say about 2012 except:

Rather a lacklustre year seeing some low points for series with Resident Evil 6, Risen II, MoH Warfighter, Darksiders II (Arguable but it's failure to sell was on the pinnacle of the downfall of THQ), 007 Legends, Forza Horizon (Alright game but way too many microtransactions for such a small game in comparison to all the open-world racers it takes concepts from), Doom3 BFG Edition, Silent Hill HD Collection, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, SH Downpour, Prototype 2, Operation Raccoon City, Syndicate, Most Wanted 2012, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed III and the Darkness II. Not mentioning individual failures of Battleship, Inversion, Binary Domain and Game of Thrones.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads