Xbox One

Forum for Xbox One related discussions

Why is there so much hate for the X1 around the net?

• Posted on 20 August 14 at 11:47, Edited on 20 August 14 at 11:49 by CassiopeiaGames
    NoLifeDGenerate said:Twinkling82 said:It is not the same as having a disc at your shelf. Period. The file is something you have access to from a server standing somewhere in the world. Not saying MS is going to be dicks and close it down or remove some content, all I am saying it would be easy for them to do so.
    This is like what MS wanted to ram down everyone's throats with their original polices. Discs essentially being the same as a digital copy. Single use code, locked to your tag, and the disc becomes worthless. I can still buy an NES and play those games. Would we have been able to say the same about XB1 in 20 years? They shutdown XBL on the original Xbox. It all goes eventually. Look at all the random shit getting delisted. Nobody can get that anymore. If it's not in your download history or on your HDD, it's gone for good. If it were on disc, you could find it on ebay. This is why I say fuck digital.
    Why are you expecting the worst possible outcome? If MS decided to close down X1 support in 20 years ultimately killing even SP play (if they did implement what they wanted at the reveal), who's to say they would not give us a console update that update to kill off the DRM system and make all discs, without the code or contact to Live, playable in SP. I would assume they would to avoid a huge backlash.

Exalted Entity said: like always, the argument would come that, "some of us can't afford that, as it takes away from our monthly rent" and I was trying to be mindful of everyone's feelings. And this is what I get. I get a VPN used as a counter to my statement.

That'll teach me.

But anyways, Microsoft Video falls under streaming rights, and for personal usage, it can be recorded at anytime for personal use, legally. There may also be a lot of stuff to watch. In addition to that, you can save it on your computer / hard drive as 1080p. Whereas I find Netflix does not even offer that for everything. Many of the things I like to watch are like 480 p or something like that. Also, I can watch these videos on my Windows Phone, whereas I can't do that on Netflix.
    You do not have to walk around eggshells. (I hate doing so) most people do not get annoyed by mentioning solutions, even solutions that aren't free, but more so of someone expects something expensive is within reach of every person on the earth. Besides a VPN is not that expensive. If you have access to internet at home, you can buy VPN service. 7 dollars for a month at 12 months service is not too expensive for anyone paying for a internet connection if they expect to use the VPN regularly.

Please don't burn me for saying this when I have been advocating the Kinect 2.0 extra cost being the same - it is too expensive if I am not gonna use it, just as the VPN would be too expensive if I am not gonna use it, hence why I've been talking against the forced Kinect 2.0.

Downloading the file seems like a good thing, also to ensure quality, but I don't need that. I watch Netflix mostly on my tablet anyways, where I absolutely don't need 1080p.

I see Netflix on the windows phone store, so you should be able to stream netflix on your phone.
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 16:58
    Twinkling82 said:Exalted Entity said:Netflix can take down files at any moment too. Same with Hulu. Hulu is not even available in some countries. Including Canada, which is right above the U.S. Xbox Video is available everywhere.
    I know, but I am not paying for single movies or series. I am paying to have access to a library of movies and series. There's a HUUUU-GE difference.

I was just very surpriced to see a statement like that, sorry. Didn't say you did not give to charities, but it is a lot of dough on something like that.

Chakaal Starr said:... that was more Nadella then Spencer. Nadella, you know, the guy who would be willing to cut xbox division as well.

That entertainment department that was cut isn't the same as xbox video and since it was supposedly trying a netflix like approach, wouldn't even have necessarily reflected xbox video prices which aren't really that bad. For all we know, the entertainment division stuff could have been free as incentive for maintaining gold, so I would have liked to see what it would do. Playstation Now, on the other hand.. I hope they reevaluate their prices.

If you meant removing some movies in a subscription format, Netflix does that already. If you look at the fine print, some movies have an expiry date. If you meant cutting service altogether, the one thing about worrying about taking down stuff is that that can happen to any company. MS has the money to acquire Netflix if they really wanted to, as does Google, Apple, Amazon, and a number of other companies that could Nokia them. Other companies want some of that pie.
    I had the impression the Xbox Entertainment division was Xbox Music and Xbox Video. And don't worry, with all the criticism, Sony HAS to change the pricemodel for PS Now. Maybe a PS+ premium model that includes PS now and the F2P pack.

I know Netflix removes content, I am very well aware of that - Spotify also removes content and I was.. appalled when I saw a friend complain that there were a few songs that was removed/inaccessible on his playlists because of expired license agreements. That is just how it works, and while it can be annoying (in the middle of a series when it gets removed as an example) it IS the future. Licenses is the only remaining thing music and movies (and games too!) have left to ensure income.

Americans has a lot of services to choose from- Amazon Instant video, hulu, netflix, and more. Here we have HBO, viaplay and netflix in regards to streaming movies. I chose to go with netflix as I have been waiting impatiently on them to get here, and they were the first to arrive as well (from the three aforementioned services).

To access content on netflix from other regions, you dont have to have another account, just use unblock-us, HMA or other services that gets you an US or even EU IP address - and you'll be able to see and play content from that region. HOWEVER, there might be SOME content with an extended lock, but I can't say for sure. Your saved content list (todo, to-watch) and recently watched does not work across region contents, so be aware of that.

It is not the same as having a disc at your shelf. Period. The file is something you have access to from a server standing somewhere in the world. Not saying MS is going to be dicks and close it down or remove some content, all I am saying it would be easy for them to do so.

Hence why I prefer netflix. I buy access to a library, not single content.
    I am aware that you can cheat the system by pretending you are in a different country. For that matter, one could save 8 bucks on netflix and/or gamefly(and all mentioned services) by pirating, but I choose not to pirate.

Part of the reason I choose to play on consoles is because I don't want to fool around with drivers, hardware etc of a PC. I don't want to particularly fool around with workarounds to access stuff that isn't actually intended for me. I have changed the DNS numbers on my Wii to take an occasional peek what is on american netflix(I do not want to risk a TOS with Sony or MS) but I would just as soon play within the rules.

MS could potentially yes, but so could anyone else in equivalent services such as buying movies from Apple or PSN. Netflix is a little different type of service, that is what the division that MS decided to shut down was going to go after in terms of business.
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 18:03
    I would never even consider paying for access to a single file, not ever, nowhere, unless it was dirt cheap. That's why I did not even hesitate to jump onboard the netflix train.

Using DNS to access content not intended for your location is hardly pirating, and Netflix HAS to know about this workaround by now, and they choose to not do something about it. They could easily force people to inform of region/country and lock it for 3 to 6 months at a time before people can change that region. But a lot of people travel with devices that runs netflix, which is probably the reason netflix don't do anything about it.

My reason for going the console way is exactly what you mentioned. It is easy and the game always works.
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 18:28
    Ahh okay, well, if you are using the tablet, I guess Netflix works well for you. I like to load up my videos on 3D T.V just because it converts 2D into 3D in case I want to watch 3D.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk1,241,639
    Posted on 20 August 14 at 18:44
    Exalted Entity said:Well, all of my discs are brand new, and I always wash my hands before touching them, and I pack them in a way that keeps them well preserved. So they smell exactly like they would when they are unpacked from a brand new disc box.Can't beat new game smell!
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 19:06
    Exalted Entity said:I also smell brand new shoes out of the box. In addition to that, I usually buy a new T.V every month or so, and the first thing I do is unpack the remove control, flip it over, open the battery pack cover, and smell the battery compartment.
    When you buy next months T.V., send me this months wink

Seriously though, how many T.V.'s do you need? My plasma has lasted me years without any problems - what the hell are you doing to these devices?!?! laugh
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 19:30
    EMPATH1C MIM1C said:Exalted Entity said:I also smell brand new shoes out of the box. In addition to that, I usually buy a new T.V every month or so, and the first thing I do is unpack the remove control, flip it over, open the battery pack cover, and smell the battery compartment.
    When you buy next months T.V., send me this months wink

Seriously though, how many T.V.'s do you need? My plasma has lasted me years without any problems - what the hell are you doing to these devices?!?! laugh
    It doesn't looks as good or there is a new design. Sometimes it's just the smell. The dust takes away from the nice smell of the T.V in the usb ports / AV holes. And at other times, it's just because a friend of mine gets a new T.V that ends up having superior specs to mine, and I don't like that, so I have to get a better one than them. Like I had a pretty good T.V, but there was a bigger OLCD T.V that came out, and my friend got one that was the same size as mine, so I got one that was bigger than his.
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 20:16
    Exalted Entity said:Ahh okay, well, if you are using the tablet, I guess Netflix works well for you. I like to load up my videos on 3D T.V just because it converts 2D into 3D in case I want to watch 3D.A 3D TV does not magically converts a 2D input into 3D. At least, not very well.
  • Posted on 20 August 14 at 20:28
    Twinkling82 said:Exalted Entity said:Ahh okay, well, if you are using the tablet, I guess Netflix works well for you. I like to load up my videos on 3D T.V just because it converts 2D into 3D in case I want to watch 3D.A 3D TV does not magically converts a 2D input into 3D. At least, not very well.Oh no, not as great as if it was actually 3D, but it still works very well. LG take their technology seriously. Just like how the Xbox upscales graphics. Not as well as if they were actually to scale on a higher scale, but still, good enough for the human eyes.
  • UnarmedGorillaUnarmedGorilla1,016,844
    Posted on 20 August 14 at 23:59
    Blah blah blah... fuck the haters... I love my X1 and the support it's been getting.
    Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
  • misfit119misfit1191,175,371
    Posted on 21 August 14 at 00:32
    Exalted Entity said:Discs are a clutter, and they take up vast amounts of space, and require a lot of care. Digital content on the other hand, only takes up virtual space.Even digital content requires a lot of care of constant back ups. I know far too many people who have lost incredibly important data, not even just game data but work or hobby data, to hard drive issues or flat out hard drive death. Even if you back up regularly its very easy to lose important information / work / game data in an all digital age. I prefer the disc approach for personal reasons but I love going digital with my handheld devices (3DS, PSP, Vita). But I have lost a shitload of personal data I'll never get back thanks to SD cards crapping out on me (So long 100 hour Persona 3 Portable save...). So I dunno whether I prefer buying only discs when a game dies but having to maintain it or dealing with digital versions and backing up content regularly.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 01:56
    I can't help but laugh at the thought of someone smelling a tv. No offense, that's cool if you're into that, I just find it funny.
    LTspeirs
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 01:59
    misfit119 said:Exalted Entity said:Discs are a clutter, and they take up vast amounts of space, and require a lot of care. Digital content on the other hand, only takes up virtual space.Even digital content requires a lot of care of constant back ups. I know far too many people who have lost incredibly important data, not even just game data but work or hobby data, to hard drive issues or flat out hard drive death. Even if you back up regularly its very easy to lose important information / work / game data in an all digital age. I prefer the disc approach for personal reasons but I love going digital with my handheld devices (3DS, PSP, Vita). But I have lost a shitload of personal data I'll never get back thanks to SD cards crapping out on me (So long 100 hour Persona 3 Portable save...). So I dunno whether I prefer buying only discs when a game dies but having to maintain it or dealing with digital versions and backing up content regularly.Well, what I do with personal / business documents of mine, is back them up on not only various cloud storage, but I have my personal servers that I can store them on.

In terms of game data. Well, I have lost some valuable data at times, and that is why I back up it up in hard drives. But the Xbox 360 hard drives are smaller than the round discs, and the Xbox One hard drive is still only the size of about 2 disc boxes. In addition to that, I always back up my data on cloud and a USB.

But that data that we are backing up, is not the game, and even if we were to buy discs, we would not be storing it in said disc. We would be storing it on the console or on a hard drive.

In terms of losing the actual game, I'll just re-download it. If they take if off the marketplace, only new people cannot buy the item. Those that previously purchased it can download it a 100 times if they want.
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 01:59
    Twinkling82 said:I would never even consider paying for access to a single file, not ever, nowhere, unless it was dirt cheap. That's why I did not even hesitate to jump onboard the netflix train.

Using DNS to access content not intended for your location is hardly pirating, and Netflix HAS to know about this workaround by now, and they choose to not do something about it. They could easily force people to inform of region/country and lock it for 3 to 6 months at a time before people can change that region. But a lot of people travel with devices that runs netflix, which is probably the reason netflix don't do anything about it.
    My reason for going the console way is exactly what you mentioned. It is easy and the game always works.
    I didn't say it was the same as pirating, I would like to make that clear. If you think I said that, please read instead of scan the message.

Netflix would only do something if they were pressured I am sure because they benefit by looking the other way, but it is still cheating the system. Just because they don't act on something doesn't mean that they are saying it is ok either.

I know managers who work at major chains that indicated their company doesn't pursue or prosecute shoplifters, but that doesn't mean one should take advantage of that. People abused Costco return policy by returning their electronics every time a new version came out and now the rest of us are paying for them cheating the system by having a much more limited return policy on that sort of thing. Lots of people abuse GameStop return policy and eventually someone that wants to use that policy legitimately won't be able to. True it isn't technically stealing, but it has shades of dishonesty whether the local employees care or not.

Also, as some people learned by MS and the residents of Oman, a company that doesn't act on something can also turn around and start dealing out harsh consequences and it is no ones fault but the person that took the chance.
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 03:02
    Exalted Entity said:In terms of losing the actual game, I'll just re-download it. If they take if off the marketplace, only new people cannot buy the item. Those that previously purchased it can download it a 100 times if they want.Not true. I have access to a file on the marketplace through my downloadlist that is listed with questionmarks and game closes upon starting it (wanting to update it, but there's no update file). However, I know it was the Kinect Adventures file that Kinect beta testers got - and MS gave us access to the full public game when that made the marketplace.

Chakaal Starr said:Twinkling82 said:I would never even consider paying for access to a single file, not ever, nowhere, unless it was dirt cheap. That's why I did not even hesitate to jump onboard the netflix train.

I didn't say it was the same as pirating, I would like to make that clear. If you think I said that, please read instead of scan the message.

Netflix would only do something if they were pressured I am sure because they benefit by looking the other way, but it is still cheating the system. Just because they don't act on something doesn't mean that they are saying it is ok either.
    You took up pirating in this conversation, that's comparing it to piracy and associate it with using a workaround via VPN.
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 03:33
    Twinkling82 said:Exalted Entity said:In terms of losing the actual game, I'll just re-download it. If they take if off the marketplace, only new people cannot buy the item. Those that previously purchased it can download it a 100 times if they want.Not true. I have access to a file on the marketplace through my downloadlist that is listed with questionmarks and game closes upon starting it (wanting to update it, but there's no update file). However, I know it was the Kinect Adventures file that Kinect beta testers got - and MS gave us access to the full public game when that made the marketplace.
    That isn't the same as a purchase, Read the fine print on your beta agreement and compare to what it says when you purchase something, Destiny Beta won't be obtainable either.

I had tried the demo of Paperboy way back when it was on the market, and I redownloaded it from history. If you click to buy the game after playing the demo, you can't buy it though since it isn't on market.

Twinkling82 said:Chakaal Starr said:Twinkling82 said:I would never even consider paying for access to a single file, not ever, nowhere, unless it was dirt cheap. That's why I did not even hesitate to jump onboard the netflix train.

You took up pirating in this conversation, that's comparing it to piracy and associate it with using a workaround via VPN.
    Twinkling82 said:You took up pirating in this conversation, that's comparing it to piracy and associate it with using a workaround via VPN.I just wanted to make sure you were aware, I seem to recall you saying that I believed kinect and morpheus was required on all games, when I said nothing of the such and referred to them as optional on multiple occasions. I also talked about shoplifting and I am NOT saying that is the same either. The connection is there is some cheating involved but that does not equate them, nor imply that I believe they are equal.

I can talk about Murder and Shoplifting in the same conversation too, but that doesn't mean I equate them despite them both being crimes. You are drawing imaginary lines. To clarify, since I just mentioned Murder.. I do not believe that murder and DNS manipulation are equal.
    Posted on 21 August 14 at 04:46, Edited on 21 August 14 at 04:46 by misfit119
    Exalted Entity said:Well, what I do with personal / business documents of mine, is back them up on not only various cloud storage, but I have my personal servers that I can store them on.Yeah but that's a helluva lot of work when you could just, I dunno, keep track of papers. Then again I grew up with type writers so who am I to say.

But that data that we are backing up, is not the game, and even if we were to buy discs, we would not be storing it in said disc. We would be storing it on the console or on a hard drive.Yeah, that paragraph was really unfocused. I had something I was trying to say and it rapidly devolved into rambling. I dunno what the hell I was saying anymore.

If they take if off the marketplace, only new people cannot buy the item. Those that previously purchased it can download it a 100 times if they want.Except not always. I'm expecting the consoles will eventually move to the cellphone model where once something is pulled you can never own it again. Delete it off your phone? Too bad.

It's really stuff like this that makes me have very little faith in the companies running this digital crap. Until we have something like Steam, where we can always go and download old games and get them to run on our much newer PC's (read: consoles), I'm not going to have faith in the all digital future. I like the ability to own digital versions, especially on handhelds, but the idea that my Xbox 700 will become a bit fat brick of nothing once the digital downloads stop being supported? Ehn. Not comforting. If companies put more energy into supporting backwards compatibility for digital versions of games I'd be a LOT more eager to jump on that bandwagon.

And when I say that I mean like letting me use my Game on Demand purchases on the Xbox One and not making me rent or buy the stupid things all over again. 'Eff that noise.
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 05:17, Edited on 21 August 14 at 05:22 by Exalted Entity
    misfit119 said:Exalted Entity said:Well, what I do with personal / business documents of mine, is back them up on not only various cloud storage, but I have my personal servers that I can store them on.Yeah but that's a helluva lot of work when you could just, I dunno, keep track of papers. Then again I grew up with type writers so who am I to say.

But that data that we are backing up, is not the game, and even if we were to buy discs, we would not be storing it in said disc. We would be storing it on the console or on a hard drive.Yeah, that paragraph was really unfocused. I had something I was trying to say and it rapidly devolved into rambling. I dunno what the hell I was saying anymore.

If they take if off the marketplace, only new people cannot buy the item. Those that previously purchased it can download it a 100 times if they want.Except not always. I'm expecting the consoles will eventually move to the cellphone model where once something is pulled you can never own it again. Delete it off your phone? Too bad.

It's really stuff like this that makes me have very little faith in the companies running this digital crap. Until we have something like Steam, where we can always go and download old games and get them to run on our much newer PC's (read: consoles), I'm not going to have faith in the all digital future. I like the ability to own digital versions, especially on handhelds, but the idea that my Xbox 700 will become a bit fat brick of nothing once the digital downloads stop being supported? Ehn. Not comforting. If companies put more energy into supporting backwards compatibility for digital versions of games I'd be a LOT more eager to jump on that bandwagon.

And when I say that I mean like letting me use my Game on Demand purchases on the Xbox One and not making me rent or buy the stupid things all over again. 'Eff that noise.
    I guess your point is right. When Xbox 360 live shuts down, those games are gone too. Just like this post is arguing.

Let Microsoft Know We Need Larger External Hard Drive Support

But from a personal standpoint, if I can't connect online, a game is not really worth anything for me (which is why my first console was Xbox 360, as I was able to globally connect).
    Posted on 21 August 14 at 09:49, Edited on 21 August 14 at 09:50 by misfit119
    See I grew up doing PC and consoles and I loved both for their individual quirks. PC games might have pissed me off whenever they required an update (or when people wet themselves over crappy games with amaze-balls graphics *coughCrysiscough*) but I love me a good RTS or sim type game and I'll never stop playing GalCiv.

But I started on the Atari and I love consoles because you never have to worry about shennanigans with getting your hands on a game. Sure, some games have limited releases and are hard to get but for the most part it's super easy to even go out to an online service and buy old games. I recently bought a CDi and a bunch of games for it - considering how hard it flopped if that was an online only console you'd never be able to do that these days. And even then there are a bunch of games from last gen that were gimped a year or two after release thanks to server closures so I guess consoles are really just turning out to not be the way to go in the future.

Ya know the more I post in this thread the more I think I just need to abandon consoles entirely and just run back to my PC and whore it up there. facepalm

EDIT: And I didn't even see that thread. Clearly MS has seen that we desperately need more storage space and are gracious enough to now sell us 500gb hard drives instead of just upgrading the damn ability of that console to properly use external hard drives. Figures. roll
  • Posted on 21 August 14 at 11:33
    Lol. Well, strangely enough I actually agree with everything you have said up to the point of abandoning consoles (not strange that I agree with you, but just strange in that normally when I post, I always have a differing opinion from the rest of people).

But yea, I do get what you are saying. I guess the only 2 reasons I actually, "like" consoles is simply because

1. I am so heavily invested into Microsoft, that at this point in time, I am sort of like a blind fanboy. Anything they do, is awesome to me. And their creation of achievements, is just brilliant.

2. I like the way I can play with controllers, and Kinect. The friendly competitions. The carry over of "service record, aka gamertag" from phone to pc to consoles, etc... And all the various games like the graphic novel japanese games, and the arcade games, and some full games that are only available on consoles and not the PC. It lets me have a full experience of many games with friends, rather than playing Runescape / WoW / SC / Dekaron all day, everyday, for years.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads