Game Discussion: Sunset Overdrive

Sunset Overdrive: Is this the X1's Salvation?

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm652,917
    Posted on 09 May 14 at 10:42
    Sunset Overdrive is an X1 exclusive that won't feature Kinect support in any way, shape, or fashion. It is a 'stylish' third person shooter from Insomniac Games that takes place in a zany post-apocalyptic setting. It looks like it is being developed from the ground up as a pure X1 game and the initial screenshots look great:

Sunset Overdrive Details Announced

Marcus Smith from Insomniac Games assured us that the game would be free of Kinect interference. He said, "This game was definitely built for a controller, not jumping around the room." Music to my ears. It looks like a real XBox game and not a Wii Waggler Wannabe.

Maybe this will start the X1's road to recovery and transform it into a worthy successor to the great 360. At any rate, I'm stoked. BTW, although it's still a long way off from being released and no release date has been set, it is available for pre-order & I've already reserved my copy. Between this game and Fable Legends, I'm becoming more enthusiastic about the X1's future.
  • HumpyrtonHumpyrton876,773
    Posted on 09 May 14 at 13:01
    Most games only use voice, also there are plenty of games with no Kinect functionality on the x1. But this game looks interesting.
    Posted on 09 May 14 at 14:43
    I'm playing Thief (great game, BTW). It can use the Kinect which keys off body movements as well as voice. Thief, however, is a game of precision and stealth. The Kinect is a detriment--like using a baseball bat to kill a mosquito on your friend's head. It is obvious that the Kinect functionality was inserted only to placate Microsoft. The Kinect is better relegated to games where you're supposed to be, as Sunset Overdrive's Marcus Smith said, "jumping around the room."
  • BigPete7978BigPete7978259,873
    Posted on 10 May 14 at 02:00
    This game is one of the reasons that I purchased the Xbox One. It looks to be absolutely fantastic.
    Posted on 10 May 14 at 09:48
    BigPete7978 said:
    This game is one of the reasons that I purchased the Xbox One. It looks to be absolutely fantastic.
    After recently playing a number of games that use very dark color palettes like Thief & Bioshock (both great games), the vibrant colors of Sunset Overdrive will be refreshing. I've been looking for a pure next gen game. This looks like it may be it.
  • Posted on 16 October 14 at 11:45
    I don't think it'll be the salvation for our beloved console, its too niché and narrow. A small percentage will LOVE it, an equal part will HATE it, and the rest will choose another game that they're more excited about. That's what I think anyways.

Personally I'm super excited for this game, but I don't think it's a big console seller. Halo: TMCC is a console seller, even though it's just a remastered collection (albeit the best remastered collection of games this generation of consoles will ever see).
    "Whoa...it's like a postcard! Dear Sarge: kicking ass in outer space, wish you were here." - Chips Dubbo
  • CaRNiFeX zTCaRNiFeX zT650,819
    Posted on 18 October 14 at 23:58
    This game is going to be awesome but Halo will definitely be the XB1 savior.
  • RossticusRossticus626,385
    Posted on 04 November 14 at 18:02
    I've only played this game for a day. However, I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. I love the combo gameplay and the numerous references (including video game tropes and Breaking Bad of all things).
  • Posted on 04 November 14 at 19:58
    yeah at some point my character mentions reddit, and I went like.. what.. wait? also Youtube I think. I am enjoying this game immensly.

Now I am hoping the character or some of the AI's will mention trueachievements and my day is made. Don't tell me if you know, guys!
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • RossticusRossticus626,385
    Posted on 06 November 14 at 09:13
    You have to love Sunset TV too. I've never seen developer-community interaction in this way before.
  • GAM3RJETGAM3RJET244,555
    Posted on 26 November 14 at 10:49
    I'm having a blast with Sunset Overdrive. It won't change the XB1 haters' minds, but just about any gamer could find enjoyment in Sunset Overdrive.

Sony really dropped the ball by letting this go XB1 exclusive.
  • Posted on 26 November 14 at 11:08
    GAMERJET XBL said:I'm having a blast with Sunset Overdrive. It won't change the XB1 haters' minds, but just about any gamer could find enjoyment in Sunset Overdrive.

Sony really dropped the ball by letting this go XB1 exclusive.
    not up to the competition. Sony dropped the ball on driveclub though - could have been fantastic if they made sure the servers could hold all the players.
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 00:23
    CaRNiFeX zT said:This game is going to be awesome but Halo will definitely be the XB1 savior.Halo will probably be epic but will it be as fun as Sunset Overdrive?
  • Posted on 28 November 14 at 00:36
    Its not.
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 01:14
    Twinkling82 said:Its not.I think that SO has come at the right time. It's a brightly colored game that is just loads of fun to play.
  • Posted on 28 November 14 at 08:29
    I said no to Halo (MCC dont know about Halo 5) blowing SO out of the water laugh Im loving SO and think its the best next gen game so far.
  • qDirtyBryanpqDirtyBryanp1,062,844
    Posted on 29 November 14 at 22:31
    By far my favorite game of this gen so far It's a game you don't have to take serious and just plain have fun with, and that's what games should be
  • KalujoKalujo428,470
    Posted on 01 December 14 at 07:40
    Dead Rising 3 is the reason I bought my Xbox One in the first place & it did not disappoint.
    I don't see Sunset Overdrive as the savior of the XB1 but it most definitely a fun & exciting sandbox game. Personally, I love it. clap
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads