Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Single-Player Only

• pommer299pommer299350,164
  • KILL KR4ZYKILL KR4ZY234,561
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:01
    Fallout 3 & Dishonoured are great games, FO3 is easily my favourite game of this generation, and Dishonoured, I should probably get around to finishing it . . .
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant1,125,813
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:02
    Wow. No Skyrim?

A great idea. Well done JudgmentDragon.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • Team BretherTeam Brether1,522,701
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:06
    The author likes horror and post apocalyptic titles then I guess laugh
  • Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:09
    No Half-Life 2? I am shocked...
  • BrokenKnghtBrokenKnght342,279
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:12
    Played everything on the list but Metro...can anyone expound on it more? Loved fallout 3, is it anything like that?
  • Spiderman NoireSpiderman Noire1,336,810
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:16
    Insert comment about a game that didn't make the list and how a game shouldn't be on the list...
  • DrShoe1976DrShoe1976333,611
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:16
    Alan Wake gets a top 5 slot ahead of Fallout 3?

Okaaaaaaaay!!!

I also second surprise for a lack of Skyrim.

Thanks for the article.
  • GeoffistophelesGeoffistopheles1,373,613
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:15
    SomeWookiee said:
    No Half-Life 2? I am shocked...
    Half-Life 2 wasn't released individually, only in The Orange Box, which also contained Team Fortress 2. If we're just picking out single player segments, it kinda defeats the point.

Not a bad list, though I think I'd swap Dead Space with Fallout 3.
  • ProIetarianProIetarian521,484
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:18
    Mass Effect not even in the honourable mentions :(
  • JuiceTown23JuiceTown23172,062
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:25
    Sometimes its good to give the Unexpected games a chance. we all expected Fallout 3 and Skyrim. its cool that he Changed it up
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:25
    Alan Wake is up there... Nice list!
  • Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:36
    My persistent thought about single-player only games is that the truly great ones create a personal narrative, one that you felt you wouldn't want to share with someone else because it's such an intimate, connected relationship. They'd be games that either would be harmed by multiplayer or simply wouldn't work with it.

With that in mind, I think almost all of these games are great choices. My only quibble is that Fallout 3 (like Skyrim) felt like a game that could have been heightened even further with the option of drop-in/drop-out co-op.
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:36, Edited on 25 May 14 at 13:42 by Spakon
    My 5 would have been
    5.Child Of Light
    4.Dragon Age: Origins
    3.Fallout 3
    2.Condemned: CO
    1.Alan Wake
    Not Including Other greats like Mafia II, Metro, Shadow's Of The Damned,Enslaved and Dragon's Dogma.
  • vBlitevBlite197,592
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:35
    Deus Ex, FFX111, FFXIII-2, Skryim, DA:O, Arkham City, Beyond Good and Evil HD, Lost Odyssey, etc, all say hi.
  • vSullyvSully1,297,491
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:42, Edited on 25 May 14 at 13:44 by vSully
    Warning: Personal opinions that you will most likely disagree with forthcoming.

Ever since I caught the achievement completion bug a few years back, I've shifted my focus primarily to single player gaming. Seriously 1 and 3 made me realize how annoying multiplayer achievements can be so I've tended to stick with games that I can complete by myself (or occasionally with a co-op partner).

I don't understand how much love Fallout 3 gets from so many people. I slogged through the entire game last year and cannot say a single positive thing about it. The gameplay and combat were completely bland, the enemies were boring, the weapons were lame, the map was an aberration, and the "role-playing" aspect couldn't have been less interesting.

There are a lot of games that I don't like that other people do and I usually understand why- different strokes for different folks and all. But I felt that Fallout 3 was so generic, bland, uninteresting, and, most importantly, not fun. I just can't see how anyone could feel it's in the discussion for GotG.

As far as the rest of the list, I'm surprised that the Arkham Asylum/City didn't get a mention. My personal list, in no particular order, would be:

Bioshock
    Batman AA/AC
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    Assassin's Creed 1
    Dishonored
  • Kelev RaKelev Ra944,881
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:43
    Mirror's Edge was a pretty good game...
  • Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:46
    Dishonored is so good!
  • LockAndLukeLockAndLuke455,702
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:52
    Absolutely love Dead Space, one of the games I can play over and over without getting bored.
    No matter how bad things get, we'll never stop planting the flowers.
  • N7 RowdyN7 Rowdy406,993
    Posted on 25 May 14 at 13:57
    Mass Effect 1&2, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Assassins Creed 2, Arkham Asylum. Those are the games I'd pick my top 5 SP games from.
    The rowdy ninja
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads