Site Help - Archive

Archived site help posts

Why do people who aren't officially on TA still scanned?

• LuckyKantLuckyKant1,126,080
    Posted on 30 September 14 at 20:53
    I want whatever you are having if you think the majority of gamers go for achievements. Yes, not everyone who goes for achievements are on TA but the vast majority are.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • Posted on 30 September 14 at 21:18
    So the vast majority of achievement hunters are on ta? How many gamers is that? 200 k? Out of 50 million? Rediculous assumptions
    Aye, we left you. You're fat, and slow, and we didn't want to die.
  • vSullyvSully1,297,489
    Posted on 30 September 14 at 22:35, Edited on 30 September 14 at 22:37 by vSully
    Ultimately, how many people "have" a game is impossible to determine. On TA, you dont "have" a game until you unlock an achievement in it. So getting a "true" score is completely impossible since plenty of people have/have played games without popping achievements.

I own a copy of DoDonPachi Resurrection but I've not started it on my gamertag yet. And I will not start it until I get at least one more achievement in Deathsmiles, which may never happen. But I "have" the game. I even played it on a dummy account for a while.

I also played Dungeon Defenders for about 30 minutes and never popped an achievement, so I'm not tracked in that game. Everything's ruined.
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,665,492
    Posted on 30 September 14 at 22:48, Edited on 30 September 14 at 22:48 by LV 1 Blue Slime
    EaseAndInspire said:So the vast majority of achievement hunters are on ta? How many gamers is that? 200 k? Out of 50 million? Rediculous assumptionsAfter you've hunted your first achievement Rich shows up the next time you go to sleep and offers you a TA account, and as a result every achievement hunter is on TA. True story.
  • mosin360mosin360776,126
    Posted on 30 September 14 at 23:17
    I didn't know you could add people. Shoot, I'm going to go add my friends now.
    Videos I made of Xbox games on Windows 8.1 - https://www.youtube.com/user/mosindesire
  • Neslord2Neslord2558,260
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 00:07
    IMHO the bigger the sample the better, if it ever came to it then heck yes scan everyone.
    In the meantime the odds and sods that are scanned that fall into the unregistered/assumptive none cheevo chasing/below gs qualification cant make that much difference and if it does, who will do anything about it and how do you definitively resolve it?
    Some good suggestions above, but each could exclude people/skew ratios in each way dependant on your pov.
    If you use achievement ratios to determine how (after reading their descriptions) difficult, time consuming, boring, or any one of many other various factors that make achievements rare, are.
    All you would need to do when the 48mil have been scanned is reassess the bandings you review for rare achievements, say 3.0+ now would become a 30.00 then. They are still rare and likely on an easier to assess for rarity gradient and then after following the rarity signpost, you still read the description that will still be here to tell you how difficult, time consuming, boring, or any one of many other various factors that make achievements that are still rare, just signified by a different value.
    No?
  • SpilnerSpilner1,153,624
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 00:11
    mosin360 said:I didn't know you could add people. Shoot, I'm going to go add my friends now.Some good comes out of the thread ^^
    I speak for me, the site speaks for itself
  • JoaoToxicJoaoToxic489,819
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 00:20
    How do I add my friends ?
  • SpilnerSpilner1,153,624
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 00:24
    JoaoToxic said:How do I add my friends ?Edit My Friends add gamertag at the top
    I speak for me, the site speaks for itself
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,672,599
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 00:50
    You have to love a thread of people saying unregistered users shouldn't be scanned, causing users to find out you can do that and want to do it.
  • JoaoToxicJoaoToxic489,819
  • Posted on 01 October 14 at 01:32, Edited on 01 October 14 at 01:46 by BPBPBPBPBPBPBP
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:EaseAndInspire said:So the vast majority of achievement hunters are on ta? How many gamers is that? 200 k? Out of 50 million? Rediculous assumptionsAfter you've hunted your first achievement Rich shows up the next time you go to sleep and offers you a TA account, and as a result every achievement hunter is on TA. True story.I remember this and I think this is why Sneak King has a high ratio. That bastard creeped us all out enough to not finish it without flashbacks. laugh

Edit: I've also added a few friends of mine to the site to track them way before the thread, I love the feature as I came to see some of the people I thought were 'hardcore/badass' gamers to be tiers below me in a few levels that I judge that on by just achievements. Though that is not all I judge gamers by.

vSully said:Ultimately, how many people "have" a game is impossible to determine. On TA, you dont "have" a game until you unlock an achievement in it. So getting a "true" score is completely impossible since plenty of people have/have played games without popping achievements.

I own a copy of DoDonPachi Resurrection but I've not started it on my gamertag yet. And I will not start it until I get at least one more achievement in Deathsmiles, which may never happen. But I "have" the game. I even played it on a dummy account for a while.

I also played Dungeon Defenders for about 30 minutes and never popped an achievement, so I'm not tracked in that game. Everything's ruined.
    In the case that I highlighted I see this as the truest form of manipulation of stats, all games owned should be started for a true stat. You are manipulating your own stats more then the populace.

On the other side of the fence I played this for about a hour and didn't get an achievement either, but I didn't delete it from the tag in case 0 achievement games can be scanned in the future, which would be great.
    Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m....5th in the WORLD!!!
  • Posted on 01 October 14 at 02:28
    I see a lot of assumptions on here. We all know the saying about assumptions right? Right?

Ultimately, the only ones who know exactly how many on xbl can be classified as "achievement hunters" or "casual gamers is Microsoft. And unless they feel like releasing all thier stats, itll likely stay that way.

And lets not forget, that TA represents an INcredibly small number of xbox live users. Also keep in mind that millions of those tags are non-used tags (such as guest accounts, dummys, your gf when she "decides" to play, shared family accounts, etc.)

Fact is, stats need to factor in all variables to get the most accurate reading. More tags= more precise stats. You may not like that, but there it is.

One more thing...you all realise this isnt real life, right? That the number to the right of your tag doesnt mean JACK, right? Its a number, with absolutely zero value irl. It means something on a personal level to each of us sure, but the outside world doesnt care. It shouldnt. It doesnt get you a job, a degree, or a wife and house and three kids. So can we just keep this as Fun, and not actually spend our short lives on seriously contemplating this? Jeez...
  • izret102izret1022,438,967
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 02:57
    johannasceasara said:One more thing...you all realise this isnt real life, right? That the number to the right of your tag doesnt mean JACK, right? Its a number, with absolutely zero value irl. It means something on a personal level to each of us sure, but the outside world doesnt care. It shouldnt. It doesnt get you a job, a degree, or a wife and house and three kids.Pffft i drop my gamertag on the daily.

Randoms IRL be like "OH SHIT YOU IZRET102?!!? I hear your kind of a big deal online!"
    www.rfgeneration.com
  • zzUrbanSpacemanzzUrbanSpaceman1,518,902
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 02:58, Edited on 01 October 14 at 02:59 by zzUrbanSpaceman
    o DEEVIUS o said:^ This, thank you. Ma-jor-ity

Plus, 48 million mate, 48,000,000 more members - Even the most unpopular games now will get a massive boost of population.
    I'd actually like to see unpopular/rare games get a big boost in numbers - currently the ratios on most of these are actually useless as the only people who play them on TA are the hardcore achievement hunters who tend to finish the game out, driving the ratios lower than they should be. Take Super Star Karaoke for example - very rare game, looking at the TA score though you'd think it's actually pretty easy, however this game requires 10s of hours of grinding to complete.

My point here is that we suffer from issues of too few people. I'll tackle the discussion about how the large numbers might affect games overall below.

o DEEVIUS o said:Remaining on-topic but slightly different aspect; can anyone simply add a tag to TA tracking without their permission? Is that the OP was questioning?

If that's the case whats to stop, apart from sheer time consumption, everyone just adding random unregistered gamertags in that way now?
    Yes, anyone can add any unregistered gamertag as a friend here without their permission. The only thing that might stop this is if the gamertag has already been added and banned from the site, or has specifically requested that their tag be removed (which does happen).

o DEEVIUS o said:I know this goes against my preference here but theoretically, couldn't we all just club together and add dozens or even hundreds of tags to TA to be tracked?You could - I'm not positive about the per account limits though, e.g. if I add 40 unregistered accounts as a pro user, then remove some, does the tracking for those ones I've removed stop? I've a feeling the answer is no, but I'm not entirely sure.

Back to the topic of what adding every single player of a game might do to the ratios: we might be able to emulate this, with Rich's help. If we pick a game that uses Xbox leaderboards and is very popular, we can scan the leaderboard for all the gamertags that are attached to the game, then if Rich is willing he could scan all of these in (to a temporary table) and apply the site calculations and we could see what actually happens to the ratios. I'd be interested in seeing the results, particularly if we can get a highly popular game and a fairly rare game for comparison.
    I don't exist.
  • Posted on 01 October 14 at 02:59
    The number from MS is bloated unless they only count in accounts that have been logged in and connected to live within the last 2 weeks. I have 7 accounts or so, whereof a few aren't connected to live. Some of them test accounts, some of them for friends/family members coming over and playing, some of them to see whats going on on other marketplaces.
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 03:01, Edited on 01 October 14 at 03:04 by izret102
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:You could - I'm not positive about the per account limits though, e.g. if I add 40 unregistered accounts as a pro user, then remove some, does the tracking for those ones I've removed stop? I've a feeling the answer is no, but I'm not entirely sure.There are tags not on my friends list that do not have accounts that are still getting scanned once a week.

EDIT
    Twinkling82 said:The number from MS is bloated unless they only count in accounts that have been logged in and connected to live within the last 2 weeks. I have 7 accounts or so, whereof a few aren't connected to live. Some of them test accounts, some of them for friends/family members coming over and playing, some of them to see whats going on on other marketplaces.For boosting purposes i have created over 100 accounts.
    Google and yahoo won't let me create email addresses anymore.

Not sure if those bans are still in effect or not. But those were both handed out during the Kane and Lynch leaderboard boosts for fear of me being a spammer.
    www.rfgeneration.com
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,672,599
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 04:08
    izret102 said:johannasceasara said:One more thing...you all realise this isnt real life, right? That the number to the right of your tag doesnt mean JACK, right? Its a number, with absolutely zero value irl. It means something on a personal level to each of us sure, but the outside world doesnt care. It shouldnt. It doesnt get you a job, a degree, or a wife and house and three kids.Pffft i drop my gamertag on the daily.

Randoms IRL be like "OH SHIT YOU IZRET102?!!? I hear your kind of a big deal online!"
    Bro, do you even game?
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 04:18
    laughclap
    www.rfgeneration.com
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant1,126,080
    Posted on 01 October 14 at 05:21
    johannasceasara said:One more thing...you all realise this isnt real life, right? That the number to the right of your tag doesnt mean JACK, right? Its a number, with absolutely zero value irl. It means something on a personal level to each of us sure, but the outside world doesnt care. It shouldnt. It doesnt get you a job, a degree, or a wife and house and three kids. So can we just keep this as Fun, and not actually spend our short lives on seriously contemplating this? Jeez...But Bboy said girls love GS.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads