Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Assassin's Creed Unity Review

• Posted on 14 November 14 at 23:52
    Multiplayer. While some gamers love playing against or with other players, others absolutely loathe the very thought of even meeting people online. The Assassin's Creed series began the multiplayer t

Please click here to read the full story: Assassin's Creed Unity Review
  • marklynxmarklynx2,732,228
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 00:02
    Nice review. I also just got

TrueAchievementsHot Off The PressmarklynxThe Hot Off The Press achievement in TrueAchievements worth 0 pointsRead a news article within 5 minutes of it being published

from your review :)
  • SallyNastySallyNasty735,674
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 01:06
    Good review. I agree with all the above points!
  • CPCrookedManCPCrookedMan921,942
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 01:34
    I am surprised that there was no negative connotation due to the combat overhaul, which for me was the biggest negative of the game. You can only carry one weapon (heavy, sword or long), a gun and some bombs. The hidden blade is solely contextual and the various weapon assassinations, i.e. walking up behind a guard and stealthily killing him with a sword is gone. It is just the same hidden blade animations over and over again.
    "My dreams, they aren't as empty. As my conscience seems to be." - The Who
  • blueracer442blueracer4421,078,382
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 02:30
    I'm enjoying it so far the combat does take some getting used to but the freerunning is awesome. I figured the coop isn't as instant as advertised since just like the multiplayer they don't want to force people to play it to get the whole story
    Keep it Classy TA
  • AckterAckter336,564
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 05:11
    4 stars for a broken game filled with microtransactions?
  • IsThisDustinIsThisDustin163,390
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 05:41
    My only complaint with the game is that it isn't very much of a difference in graphics between Black Flag and now.
  • WifelikeDripWifelikeDrip475,886
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 07:13
    "A copy of the game was provided courtesy of the publisher for the purpose of this review."

They released this game with so many glitches their stocks dropped.
    ihavebaldtires
  • I Spiritus II Spiritus I211,629
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 08:50
    Ackter said:4 stars for a broken game filled with microtransactions?It's hardly filled with mico transactions. You can easily get everything if you upgrade your social clubs and play the heist missions. I've pretty much got all the most expensive items in the game.
  • matdanmatdan862,972
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 09:03
    Ackter said:4 stars for a broken game filled with microtransactions?Was wondering about this. The game seems incredibly buggy from what I have seen of reviews online.

A quick Google for microtransactions in AC Unity, told me that a lot of items; about half seemed to be designed to be "hacked" (Bought) and would take a long time to grind out the Francs required. In fact the priciest items are at the £64.99 mark according to websites.

It looks to me like they butchered the story, released it in a broken state to meet the release date and with nothing major added (Co-op seems questionable from this review), it makes me wonder how they will continue milking this series.
  • Posted on 15 November 14 at 10:14
    I've only played 2 hours so far, but no bugs for me yet (fingers crossed). I do think that a lot of the bugs that a lot of people complain about in various games don't affect the gameplay and can almost be expected for how complex games are nowadays and for the price we pay for them.

Anyway, the one thing I haven't liked with AC in 3 and BF and the reviewer said was a good thing is the free running is too easy! Unity especially you can just hold down cn_A and push forward, what he called frustrating used to be an added skill in playing the game and has been dumbed down so much with players no being bothered to take the time to get better.
    Disclaimer: copious amounts of sarcasm may be included in the above post.
  • Funky MonkeeFunky Monkee1,896,624
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 10:57
    BqCaduceusMD said:I am surprised that there was no negative connotation due to the combat overhaul, which for me was the biggest negative of the game. You can only carry one weapon (heavy, sword or long), a gun and some bombs. The hidden blade is solely contextual and the various weapon assassinations, i.e. walking up behind a guard and stealthily killing him with a sword is gone. It is just the same hidden blade animations over and over again.Well, your comment has put me off of the game more than the reviews. Why would they take so many weapon animations out? At the very least they could have just reused old animations. And goddammit I love fighting with just the hidden blade, it's like a fun extra challenge.
  • HanxHanx1,776,670
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 11:26
    This review was too positive. Where are the complaints of horrible frame rates and glitches? The game has had an awful launch. Read it somewhere that it's the worst AC of the series.
  • Posted on 15 November 14 at 11:42
    Cobryza said:This review was too positive. Where are the complaints of horrible frame rates and glitches? The game has had an awful launch. Read it somewhere that it's the worst AC of the series.Trouble there is that since Brotherhood and with Black Flag as the exception, that's been said every time!
    Disclaimer: copious amounts of sarcasm may be included in the above post.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce2,136,233
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 12:02
    Cobryza said:This review was too positive. Where are the complaints of horrible frame rates and glitches? The game has had an awful launch. Read it somewhere that it's the worst AC of the series.The review is this reviewer's experience with the game and he states that he didn't experience many issues. It does reference the fact that there are people experiencing more problems but a review is subjectively based on the experience of that reviewer, not other people's.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Posted on 15 November 14 at 12:12
    Cobryza said:This review was too positive. Where are the complaints of horrible frame rates and glitches? The game has had an awful launch. Read it somewhere that it's the worst AC of the series.Maybe he didn't really experience any? I'm several hours in and I haven't had any frame rate issues, or glitches. At least nothing even remotely game breaking, that isn't in every open world game these days, the odd civilian being waist deep in the floor, or floating instead of walking etc. and to me those are usually funny, they don't hinder you in any way.
    The game looks incredible, has solid mechanics, a cool story, characters and setting. And this is from someone who hasn't REALLY enjoyed an AC game since Brotherhood. The only downside for me, like someone else said, is the combat overhaul, definitely preferred the old combat system but I can live with it.
    "music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix
  • SallyNastySallyNasty735,674
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 14:21
    Aside from how obnoxious the micro-transactions are in the game, I also haven't had any issues and am enjoying the hell out of it.
  • Posted on 15 November 14 at 18:53
    I had one game freeze and frame rate issues during one of the early missions. It wasn't game breaking by itself, but I stopped playing after I started falling through the world about 10% of the time I'd jump off of something. It kind of sucks having to restart a mission after hopping off a wall only to find myself falling through an empty void.

I'll wait for a patch before continuing.
  • AeriBouSAeriBouS751,893
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 20:09, Edited on 15 November 14 at 20:13 by AeriBouS
    matdan12 said:Ackter said:4 stars for a broken game filled with microtransactions?Was wondering about this. The game seems incredibly buggy from what I have seen of reviews online.

A quick Google for microtransactions in AC Unity, told me that a lot of items; about half seemed to be designed to be "hacked" (Bought) and would take a long time to grind out the Francs required. In fact the priciest items are at the £64.99 mark according to websites.

It looks to me like they butchered the story, released it in a broken state to meet the release date and with nothing major added (Co-op seems questionable from this review), it makes me wonder how they will continue milking this series.
    Not true. If you renovate the theater and clubs you pull in 10,000 every 20min. Which allows you to buy anything. $5.00 will allow you to buy a piece of gear and upgrade it completely and have enough change left over to upgrade 2 more pieces of gear. You can always just get assassin points to upgrade with no money spent. I've played for maybe 7hrs and have gotten well over 20,000 points. Since the most expensive upgrade is 10,000 (that's on the best tear gear) you see that with out spending money you can still get everything in a reasonable time. The only problem glitch wise that I have seen is uplay being down and the servers having issues on day one but that's fixed. Halos was down for the first two days. So where's your post saying that's broken?

Edit: most expensive piece of gear is 200,000 francs. I made that in game in three hours. No weapon or gear in game cost £64 to hack and upgrade. Like I said $5 American or £3 and some change in pounds.
    I wrote here once on accident and this is what I wrote to never see the original post again.
  • GoldnfoxxGoldnfoxx284,663
    Posted on 15 November 14 at 22:41
    I've been playing both this and Rogue, and I have to say that even though Rogue is built off the same engine as Black Flag, I'm enjoying playing it much more than I am Unity. The lack of notoriety and, as BqCaduceusMD already mentioned, the combat system in Unity has been ridiculously simplified. More over, the way things unfold before Arno officially becomes an Assassin and the game opens up, all of it seems contrived and jumpy. Ok, I'm a servant. Ok, my boss is dead. Ok, I'm an Assassin. What the what...? It is an extraordinarily beautiful game--something on which I hope Ubisoft builds for next year or whenever, but so far I'm just far more into Rogue than I am into Unity.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads