Game Discussion: Lost Odyssey Forum

The fourth disc error.

AuthorMessage
Vursus
Vursus - Marvel comic squad was actually really fun.
74 completed games(Includes owned DLC)836 posts
Last post: 25 Mar 13 at 19:20
Posted on 14 August 10 at 11:22
So I know it's a pretty old game and I had it laying around for like the last year but I decided to give it a go the other day and flew through disc's two and three. However, disc 4 presented a unreadable disc error to my annoyance.

I was already aware that many people suffered from this from a friend mentioning he had the same issue close to when I bought it, although his was alright after he installed it. Quite obviously I attempted to install it with little success (it got to about 3%). So I've googled for various solutions, and the majority of people said that boiling water and pouring that over it can get rid of the layer of residue that is from it being in the paper sleeve. I'm quite skeptical as to do this myself though, as I've always thought pretty strongly that you don't pour water over discs, so I was wondering if anyone else had any other solutions possibly?

tl:dr, any way to make the Lost Odyssey disc 4 readable without pouring boiling water over it?.

Oh and I'm sorry if this is the wrong area for the post, it seemed like the most relevant place to me.
LV 1 Blue Slime - So, how about those legendary engrams turning into blues[roll]
278 solutionsRegistered on 10 May 2010 (Year 3 - gamma)5,968 posts
Last post: Today at 03:08
Posted on 14 August 10 at 13:14, Edited on 14 August 10 at 13:15 by LV 1 Blue Slime
Depending on where you live, there are companies that will buff the disc. If you have not had this done already, this will fix most disc read errors, unless it was a manufacturing defect, the scratch was deep, or it has the ring of death. Every disk I've had buffed worked afterward, so the success rate is generally high.

Some Gamestops provide this service, and Game Crazy (a division of Hollywood Video) used to do it as well. Since HV filed for bankruptcy it might be hard to find one around.

EDIT : Also, although I never tried it, I seriously doubt boiling water would fix anything. In fact, boiling hot water would probably be a good way to crack it. The expanding/retracting from changing to cold/hot/cold is a good way to crack stuff.
I refuse to use the animated smileys until : | gets an animated smiley.
Vursus
Posted on 14 August 10 at 16:33
Thanks, I'll try the nearest Gamestop next time I get a chance, and yeah, that was my outlook on pouring water over it, I couldn't really see the sense in it.

Help was much appreciated.
jaganshihieiyyh
279,617 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.93241,433 posts
Last post: 23 Feb at 04:30
Posted on 14 August 10 at 17:26
Water will absolutely not hurt a DVD. Go ahead and run it under the sink, I've done that.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Non-Working-Xbox-Disk-Work

I've personally attempted the toothpaste method, which didn't seem to help anything. Then again maybe I wasn't polishing hard enough.
LV 1 Blue Slime - So, how about those legendary engrams turning into blues[roll]
278 solutionsRegistered on 10 May 2010 (Year 3 - gamma)5,968 posts
Last post: Today at 03:08
Posted on 14 August 10 at 17:30
jaganshihieiyyh said:Water will absolutely not hurt a DVD. Go ahead and run it under the sink, I've done that.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Non-Working-Xbox-Disk-Work

I've personally attempted the toothpaste method, which didn't seem to help anything. Then again maybe I wasn't polishing hard enough.
Water from the sink and boiling hot water are two entirely different things. A quick google search turns up that the boiling point of water is about 212 degrees farenheit. Assuming that's correct, the difference between that and your average tap water is about 140 degrees : P

That will ruin all kinds of things, including your face.
I refuse to use the animated smileys until : | gets an animated smiley.
jaganshihieiyyh
279,617 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.93241,433 posts
Last post: 23 Feb at 04:30
Posted on 14 August 10 at 17:36, Edited on 14 August 10 at 17:36 by jaganshihieiyyh
I get the impression that the OP believes you can't get a disc wet, based on his wording. It's just a slab of plastic. As long as it's dry when you put it in the disc drive, go nuts.

I have no idea if boiling water will cause a disc to crack. Different materials react to temperature fluctuations differently. Glass tends to crack easily under rapid fluctuations, but that doesn't mean a disc will. I would think polishing the scratches down is a lot less risky than trying to boil the protective coating off, though.
blastmastrj420i
TrueAchievement Site Rank: 33,467 out of 252,479TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.486086 posts
Last post: 23 Oct 12 at 12:09
Posted on 14 August 10 at 21:58
I've had some experience with this... you can use toothpaste i've done it, but it takes alot of time of polishing need to be patient and use a terry cloth or something very minimilly abrasive, the less the better. then rinse with water and dry. don't leave water on your disc or soak as water can seep between the plastic disc and data side (i've only seen that happen to dvr's though... so yeah good luck
Vursus
Posted on 14 August 10 at 22:16
Thanks to everyone for their extra input, I'll attempt all the things mentioned as soon as I get the chance. And Jagan, although I may have seemed like I thought any water would kill a disc, it was more aimed towards the fluctuations in temperature.

All the advice is greatly appreciated.
Shauna n Ruscoe - Still celebrating Man United 8 The arsenal 2...who are ya!!
147,974 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 66.37% (Includes owned DLC) - 42 more achievements required to reach 67%141 posts
Last post: 12 Jul 11 at 19:23
Posted on 15 August 10 at 11:03
I had the error on my 4th disc so I poured boiling water on a J cloth (the blue and white striped ones) then dabbed the disc on the cloth instead of submerging it entirely and it worked, then i finished the best RPG on the xbox good luck
ButterflyEdge
ButterflyEdge - Actually just bought an Xbox One for Dance Central #NoRegrets
283,781 TrueAchievement PointsRegistered on 12 September 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)7,427 posts
Last post: 17 Sep at 21:27
Posted on 15 August 10 at 13:32
I find covering a disc in your average furniture polish and then giving it a good wipe with a duster fixes most read errors. Mind you, don't remember having any issues with LO specifically.

Hope you get it fixed, great game!
http://butterflyedge.wordpress.com/
Sneaky Tr00per - Don Matterick -  Giving into peer pressure :D
105,671 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 60.22% (Includes owned DLC) - 45 more achievements required to reach 61%701 posts
Last post: 25 Jun 13 at 21:37
Posted on 15 August 10 at 15:28
go rent it from blockbuster and swap the disks :) thats what i do with games when they do not work laugh
Sora401K
Sora401K - Life is far too busy for me to game often or consistently. Expect slow responses.
78,463 TrueAchievement Points481 posts
Last post: 28 Jun 12 at 21:58
Posted on 16 August 10 at 03:19
Sneaky Tr00per said:go rent it from blockbuster and swap the disks :) thats what i do with games when they do not work laughThats stealing. And illegal.

(Ignore me. I have morals.)
ThE CaKe Is A LiE!
FLM DFLA
113 posts
Last post: 21 Dec 10 at 03:45
Posted on 16 August 10 at 05:47
I dunno if theres a Videoland where you live. Im not sure if its even a worldwide chain. Its a video game/movie rental store that does disc repairs for about 5 bucks so if you have one where you live check the place out. I managed to get my GTA san andreas working again from them after its been through 5 years of disc abuse.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMM DFLAAAAA
Vursus
Posted on 22 August 10 at 15:19, Edited on 22 August 10 at 15:19 by Vursus
Thankyou again for your input guys. I tried most of the methods above (furniture polish, toothpaste, gamestop and then in the end after all else I attempted the boiling water) and unfortunately it seems the disc was truly screwed.

So, sometime when I get the chance soon I'll just go get another copy of the game and hope for the best I guess.

So, thanks for the input, it was of great help, just unfortunately this disc refused to respond to it :(
xDevilz 1
xDevilz 1 - if treyach dont sort out my problem with cod waw i am selling my xbox
64,125 TrueAchievement Points21 completed games(Includes owned DLC)52 posts
Last post: 02 Jun 12 at 22:35
Posted on 29 April 12 at 17:02
I just finished disc 3 today so i went to install disc 4 guess what disc 4 Will not install it may be scratched
Dreakon13
Dreakon13 - You're worth it.
15,920 TrueAchievement Points1,184 posts
Last post: 15 Dec 12 at 15:10
Posted on 29 April 12 at 18:30
Just out of curiosity, not to derail the thread. But if I've successfully installed the 4th disc, can I assume I won't have any trouble running the game when I get to that point? Or does it still load enough from the disc that I might run into issues regardless?

Also, I bought the game used so I don't entirely trust the back of the discs (even though they installed alright and don't look too bad). Is cleaning the discs off with hot water an accepted practice for touching up discs? The better condition they are in, the happier I am. smile
You think I wanna be a mediocre guy?!
Nighthawk205
Nighthawk205 - Looking for a decent turbo controller.  Is this the best one?  http://amzn.to/118D0xp
139,671 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements Walkthrough Supervisor634 posts
Last post: 20 Apr 13 at 04:07
Posted on 29 April 12 at 19:15
Dreakon1313 said:Just out of curiosity, not to derail the thread. But if I've successfully installed the 4th disc, can I assume I won't have any trouble running the game when I get to that point? Or does it still load enough from the disc that I might run into issues regardless?

Also, I bought the game used so I don't entirely trust the back of the discs (even though they installed alright and don't look too bad). Is cleaning the discs off with hot water an accepted practice for touching up discs? The better condition they are in, the happier I am. smile
As far as I've been able to tell, installing a disc means the game will work fine, even if there are scratches on the actual disc when you attempt to play. I had installed a friend's disc and then purchased it used later on, only to find scratches on it. During the time in between me exchanging it at the store, I played it perfectly fine since the Xbox only needed confirmation from the disc itself that it was the correct game.
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP - R.I.P. to those affected from 9/11. Never forget.
Achievement Completion Percentage: 60.03% (Includes owned DLC) - 55 more achievements required to reach 61%TrueAchievement Ratio: 2.29291,298 posts
Last post: Today at 01:46
Posted on 30 April 12 at 18:31
You can use a fine sandpaper, 1500-3000 grit, then use a rotery buffer and compound to make discs nearly brand new :)
Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m....5th in the WORLD!!!