Site Wishlist - Archive

Archived site wishlist posts

Search by region needed

• Posted on 25 February 15 at 20:44
    Nice one, there's all the info that's needed, now just need someone willing to give half an hour to transfer it all over to this site wink
    http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=2772&findgamerid=86026
  • Posted on 25 February 15 at 20:57
    Half an hour? lolwut

I hope you were kidding
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • WebChimp UKWebChimp UK660,194
    Posted on 25 February 15 at 20:58, Edited on 25 February 15 at 21:00 by WebChimp UK
    UK360 COMMANDO said:Nice one, there's all the info that's needed, now just need someone willing to give half an hour to transfer it all over to this site winkI understand you were most likely joking, but in the interests of transparency; as I mentioned earlier, accuracy is something we strive for on site, so while that list looks great at a glance, we can't be definite that the values listed are correct without additional primary testing - more so as it's on a publicly editable wiki! wink
  • TangerineGamerTangerineGamer2,603,020
    Posted on 06 March 15 at 12:17, Edited on 06 March 15 at 12:18 by TangerineGamer
    UK360 COMMANDO said:Nice one, there's all the info that's needed, now just need someone willing to give half an hour to transfer it all over to this site winkLike I say, I would happily put the time in to do it as and when I could if I was given the opportunity and there was a viable source to find the info needed etc.

However as WebChimp has said due to wanting the most accurate data and all the work needing to be checked it doesn't look like this will happen which is unfortunate but understandable
  • DAN5KI97DAN5KI97521,566
    Posted on 09 March 15 at 03:00, Edited on 09 March 15 at 03:01 by DAN5KI97
    Sorry if my idea has already been posted here by some other people but I didn't have time to read it all. Anyway what I would like is a new games filter which selects Region, for example not region codes like NTSC and that kind of stuff, just one where you can view all the stackable games. So one for German, Japanese and so on. As I have a PAL console I'd like to see a complete list of German games rather than having to search them manually when I don't even know if that game has another region copy. Hope people can understand what I'm saying. Surely it can't be that hard to add this either.
    I will also post this in other threads because this one seems to of quietened down.
    DAN5KI97
  • Posted on 10 March 15 at 18:41
    TrueAchievement said:That info isn't readily available so it would need to be set manually - that's an awful lot of work for a non-current gen consoleI would like to do it, this is a feature I really want and I would invest the time for it. I can use http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_gui... as a start. I don't think all games are on that list though but it's a start. I can start with only retail xbox 360 games and see how it goes.

But I don't have any coding training but I can learn some stuff if need be if it's easy. God knows I'm learning to do a site for MIS.

Main reason I want this feature is because I want to play 90% of available retail games in my region (NTSC) before moving on to xbox one to boost my gamerscore, so when I sort xbox 360 retail games by completion %, more than half of the first page are japanese novels, so yeah.....

Please let me know.
  • Posted on 11 March 15 at 09:58
    I still appreciate the effort that is needed here but as more and more games are released for different platforms the whole thing just gets worse.

I also think we need some way of narrowing down the search for the games on sale as I see a huge list but only a few apply to me.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=2772&findgamerid=86026
    Posted on 12 March 15 at 23:55
    UK360 COMMANDO said:I also think we need some way of narrowing down the search for the games on sale as I see a huge list but only a few apply to me.There's a regional drop down at the top of the Sales Hub This defaults to the store region you have set in your user settings, and will filter out all sales that aren't applicable to your region.
  • Posted on 13 March 15 at 08:58
    WebChimp UK said:UK360 COMMANDO said:I also think we need some way of narrowing down the search for the games on sale as I see a huge list but only a few apply to me.There's a regional drop down at the top of the Sales Hub. This defaults to the store region you have set in your user settings, and will filter out all sales that aren't applicable to your region.Yeah but I can't search for 360 only, the list shows all sorts.
  • o DEEVIUS oo DEEVIUS o621,818
    Posted on 28 June 15 at 17:21
    WebChimp UK said:Where possible we always try to add as much useful information to games as possible, however it comes down to a balance of data availability, additional workload, and community benefit.

If the regional compatibility information was readily available it's definitely something that we would look into adding functionality for, but unfortunately it isn't. This means any kind of automation is ruled out and it suddenly becomes an entirely manually task, with every single game needing a physical check. At present this just isn't feasible. Even with community input it would be a very slow process and we wouldn't be able to verify a lot of the information, and accuracy is something we strive within the Game Information Team.
    All you need to do is allow TA members to submit the information in exactly the same way as the flags. There's really no reason not to do this smile

I can see people flocking to submit the encoding system of their games - I could to 191 games myself smile
    We Get the Achievements We Deserve
    Posted on 28 June 15 at 17:54, Edited on 28 June 15 at 17:54 by WebChimp UK
    As I mentioned earlier, accuracy is something we strive for within the Game Information team - even if we open up submissions for this it's not as easy as saying "I bought a version in the US and it works on my PAL console", there are a lot of other factors as well.

Lets say that someone purchases the first publication of the game in the US and somebody else purchases the first publication of a game in the UK. Even though they share the same title id and the same achievement list the first might be region free and the second not - this really comes down to the publishers.

With this inconsistency it means that we would need to manually test each regional publication and each subsequent publication to be sure of which games work on which regional consoles - something which unfortunately just isn't feasible to verify promptly or easily maintain.
  • QuickMythrilQuickMythril799,609
    Posted on 28 June 15 at 18:18, Edited on 28 June 15 at 18:32 by QuickMythril
    TrueAchievement said:Sure, but they were done one at a time as games came out - you are asking for retro active region testing for 3000+ games...o DEEVIUS o said:WebChimp UK said:Where possible we always try to add as much useful information to games as possible, however it comes down to a balance of data availability, additional workload, and community benefit.

If the regional compatibility information was readily available it's definitely something that we would look into adding functionality for, but unfortunately it isn't. This means any kind of automation is ruled out and it suddenly becomes an entirely manually task, with every single game needing a physical check. At present this just isn't feasible. Even with community input it would be a very slow process and we wouldn't be able to verify a lot of the information, and accuracy is something we strive within the Game Information Team.
    All you need to do is allow TA members to submit the information in exactly the same way as the flags. There's really no reason not to do this smile

I can see people flocking to submit the encoding system of their games - I could to 191 games myself smile
    TA: the data is available in some places. nto every single game would have to be done from scratch.

WebChimp: it is readily available at abgx360.net, now i know this is a website that is slightly related to burning games, but i use this page for region info. it's sort of like the GoodNes rom database. it doesn't link to any games to download or anything, it just has data from games that have been ripped twice (a double-check set up), so it's definitely accurate. not entirely complete, but only because people that verify games don't go out of their way to get rare NTSCJs and such.

Deevius: i worry about just having users submit data because most people can only say, i tried X copy of this game in my Regional xbox and it worked or didn't work. again having different versions of games means someone might say this is only PAL and someone else says only NTSCU. that is why i like abgx360, because it actually reads the region code within the game data to tell you exactly what's up. different copies of games have different XEX numbers, so the database can distinguish between multiple copies of one game. also if you look at the Title ID, that will tell you if games are stackable. different ID means different achievement list.

i have all the data from abgx360 organised into a spreadsheet. i also added in all the game titles from TrueAchievements, so i know what games are still not in that list. i try to keep it updated when new stuff comes out, but i still have a little more work to do before i'd consider it complete.

EDIT: to webchimps new post: i think using abgx360 is the way to go, but we can also use submissions. maybe have the infobox say "Known or Verified Regions". say a game only has NTSCU known, and a user submits that there is a PAL version. then we know it exists and just have to get a copy of that disc to add to the database.

there are currently 1365 Title IDs in the abgx360 database, and 1614 games listed as retail 360 games. a couple of those are digital only, and some of the verified discs are xbla games, but the majority of discs has already been done. we just need a way for people to access the info.

also we can show when xbla has a disc release. that might be nice for some games that may be delisted, or if you can find the disc for cheaper than the digital versions, or rent it or trade or whatever.
  • o SeduLOUs oo SeduLOUs o690,753
    Posted on 29 June 15 at 08:12
    UK360 COMMANDO said:WebChimp UK said:UK360 COMMANDO said:I also think we need some way of narrowing down the search for the games on sale as I see a huge list but only a few apply to me.There's a regional drop down at the top of the Sales Hub. This defaults to the store region you have set in your user settings, and will filter out all sales that aren't applicable to your region.Yeah but I can't search for 360 only, the list shows all sorts.Use the platform filter. It's at the top, right next to the regional dropdown.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
  • Posted on 29 June 15 at 19:36
    DTI April said:UK360 COMMANDO said:WebChimp UK said:UK360 COMMANDO said:I also think we need some way of narrowing down the search for the games on sale as I see a huge list but only a few apply to me.There's a regional drop down at the top of the Sales Hub. This defaults to the store region you have set in your user settings, and will filter out all sales that aren't applicable to your region.Yeah but I can't search for 360 only, the list shows all sorts.Use the platform filter. It's at the top, right next to the regional dropdown.That all changed after my post or at a similar time. I use that facility but it in no way helps generally. I want to get rid of American and Japanese games from my search as I am unable to buy or play them so don't want them appearing in my search.

My whole argument is that if you looked on a store's website and made a decision based on those findings, then drove all the way out there to find that many of the items you saw are actually not available in your country then you would be quite upset. This is how this search is.............roll
    Posted on 29 June 15 at 19:44
    OK my bad, didn't notice your post date.

Still not sure what you are asking for though. When I look at the sales hub now I see ~30 items, so not a huge list by any means, and there are no JP games on there. I'm UK aswell and kinda know what you mean about the US only games, but they are so few and far between I don't think the work involved in tagging everything would be justified at all.
  • Posted on 29 June 15 at 22:45
    In a nutshell the games I like don't ever get much publicity or advertising. I use TA to find out about them by searching the complete games list in different genres but it shows all sorts from all over the globe. When it says EU after it or is a funny name like the Japanese games have then it is easy to see where they're from but not always so easy.

I have noticed there is now a filter to get rid of games already played which helps further.

Basically I just want to search a list of games that I am yet to play, run on the console I own and can be purchased in the country I live.

For the people saying the system would be flawed if the information was provided by users, I say there is currently an estimated completion time available for games which anyone could provide useless about.
    Posted on 30 June 15 at 07:25, Edited on 30 June 15 at 07:29 by o SeduLOUs o
    UK360 COMMANDO said:For the people saying the system would be flawed if the information was provided by users, I say there is currently an estimated completion time available for games which anyone could provide useless about.But an estimated completion time is exactly that. It's an estimate of how long it 'might' take a person to complete a game, based on how long it took other users who hopefully represent a varying skill and patience level (and don't lie!).

You can't estimate whether a game will work in your console. It either will or it won't. If the GI team 'estimate' that a game will work, and it then doesn't, users will be up in arms in the forums about it.
  • Posted on 30 June 15 at 07:38
    The point I was making is that for one piece of information they are using estimates/guesses etc
    People have lied. I have seen games that are a massive grind have some wise guy saying it takes 1-2 hours or a game that takes 1-2 hours being marked as taking over 200 hours. The good thing about it is that it uses an average based on people and that if there are more decent people than bad then it will eventually show something that may be useful.

It's like the positive and negative votes on solutions. It's rare to see a solution without a few negative votes as there are sadly a high number of spiteful people on here. Thankfully there are more good people. Personally I would change that system to just having the ability to positive vote or not vote therefore the best solution/review/video would come out on top.

I know what you're saying about not being able to estimate whether it will work but anywhere where you allow users to interact then it will always technically be an estimate or opinion.

Personally I think that a system similar to the estimated completion time would work as upon receiving your completion congratulations message asking you for an average time it could also ask you which console/format you completed it on. smile
    Posted on 30 June 15 at 07:45, Edited on 30 June 15 at 07:46 by o SeduLOUs o
    You know an estimated completion time is an estimate and therefore presumably take it with a pinch of salt.

You are asking for factual statements to be made on the game information tab, without the site staff having any real way of verifying the data other than relying on community members (some of which will fib for a laugh as you yourself have pointed out!).

Perhaps your suggestion of asking for which console you completed a game on could work, but the info should only go to a game tab if a large number (%age of players? arbitrary number?) of people have verified a particular console. At least that way the GI team don't really need to do anything, and the only thing you are then looking for is a way to filter games pages based on this new information.
  • Posted on 30 June 15 at 11:09
    Yeah you always can't say about time exactly as skill always factors in etc. The estimated time only appears after a set amount of people have given a rating, it then shows the average but by clicking it you can see some people put the extremes as you said.

By offering a similar system for region etc then it would eventually become accurate as I honestly believe most people on TA try to give valid information and want things to succeed.
This thread has been locked by dropK1CK ninJA
Hide ads
Hide ads