Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Explained

• aducky84aducky84216,255
    Posted on 25 June 15 at 13:55
    I still don't understand why they can't launch games whole hog. To my mind it's not different to PSTV. Which allows any PS1 classics and compatible Vita games to be launched. You should be able to just download all digital copies you own. Now I get it that perhaps it's a little different for disk games as they are essentially issuing a second digital copy (that still needs the disc to boot mind) but for digitial I'm just accessing my content on a different device what's the issue?
  • Posted on 25 June 15 at 15:05
    TT Averse said:-Required installs for any disk you put in the xbox one, meaning even though it pulls a full copy from the servers, you will always need the disk to play it and it will take up hard drive space. This also means that you will not be able to do this offline. As they stated when the Xbox One was announced, it's different architecture for the two consoles. It can't properly read and run the game on the disc which is why they created this method. Reads something on the disc, probably the same thing which allows their servers to know what game you're playing and which achievements unlock, and uses that to send you to the marketplace page.
  • Posted on 25 June 15 at 22:08
    Can you (and how) transfer save data to the Xbox One? For example, can I transfer my save data from Mass Effect or The Walking Dead and use that for future episodes/seasons/games? Or would that be up to the developers to implement?
  • Posted on 25 June 15 at 22:25
    FoBoRawR said:PhilTheStampede said:Can you (and how) transfer save data to the Xbox One? For example, can I transfer my save data from Mass Effect or The Walking Dead and use that for future episodes/seasons/games? Or would that be up to the developers to implement?Does anybody read the threads here before posting? Questions being repeatedly asked... You must upload your 360 saves to the cloud from your 360, then you will be able to access them on your One.The question was more specifically about Mass Effect: Andromeda and The Walking Dead Season 3 for the Xbox One and whether they would be able to access the 360 saves. Plus, there were a lot of pages lol
  • SpilnerSpilner1,153,769
    Posted on 26 June 15 at 05:08
    PhilTheStampede said:Can you (and how) transfer save data to the Xbox One? For example, can I transfer my save data from Mass Effect or The Walking Dead and use that for future episodes/seasons/games? Or would that be up to the developers to implement?Move save files to 360's cloud save, access on the emulator from the cloud.
  • FoBoFoBo386,635
    Posted on 26 June 15 at 06:08
    PhilTheStampede said:FoBoRawR said:PhilTheStampede said:Can you (and how) transfer save data to the Xbox One? For example, can I transfer my save data from Mass Effect or The Walking Dead and use that for future episodes/seasons/games? Or would that be up to the developers to implement?Does anybody read the threads here before posting? Questions being repeatedly asked... You must upload your 360 saves to the cloud from your 360, then you will be able to access them on your One.The question was more specifically about Mass Effect: Andromeda and The Walking Dead Season 3 for the Xbox One and whether they would be able to access the 360 saves. Plus, there were a lot of pages lolAh, sorry, in my tiredness I had only read the first half of your question! Then realised and deleted but you caught me out ;) would be interesting to know if the One saves can access the 360 saves for carry on series.
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz651,964
    Posted on 26 June 15 at 09:34
    got Battleblock up and running yesterday briefly to see how it all worked and everything went very smoothly. It downloaded onto the One SO quickly. very impressed.
    And although i don't remember actually saving to the cloud it also had my saved data. So pretty cool to be honest.

Downloaded Viva Pinata TIP too so was able to delete them off my 360 freeing up some room for next months GWG. Nice.
  • GrantX360GrantX360224,938
    Posted on 26 June 15 at 10:47
    I don't see why many publishers would block BC to be honest. Firstly, 2 types of people buy HD remasters. People who LOVED the game and people who never experienced the game. Those people will either still buy it or in my opinion buy the superior version. Secondly it keeps an entire back catalog active. People may buy FarCry 4 and then see FC3 on sale, the 360 games could still be sold through the XBO marketplace. So they may pick up FC3. I still have my 360 and a few weeks ago COD4 went on sale digitally. I was tempted to pick it up but thought no because I have the 360 connected in another room where I rarely play. If the same happened again I would buy it on XBO. I think this is further emphasized by the requests. Hardly anyone has requested COD:Ghosts or COD:AW, wheras COD4 and COD:WaW are right up there. Which to me shows people with both consoles will buy the better version anyway.
  • Posted on 26 June 15 at 14:57
    FoBoRawR said:PhilTheStampede said:FoBoRawR said:PhilTheStampede said:Can you (and how) transfer save data to the Xbox One? For example, can I transfer my save data from Mass Effect or The Walking Dead and use that for future episodes/seasons/games? Or would that be up to the developers to implement?Does anybody read the threads here before posting? Questions being repeatedly asked... You must upload your 360 saves to the cloud from your 360, then you will be able to access them on your One.The question was more specifically about Mass Effect: Andromeda and The Walking Dead Season 3 for the Xbox One and whether they would be able to access the 360 saves. Plus, there were a lot of pages lolAh, sorry, in my tiredness I had only read the first half of your question! Then realised and deleted but you caught me out ;) would be interesting to know if the One saves can access the 360 saves for carry on series.Ah, so we were both guilty of posting too soon! lol
    It's all good, man. I just transfered craploads of data to larger external hard drives for both systems, so I'm probably just going to wait and see what happened when either series is released before going through all that again for cloud storage and emulation.

On a side note, I still have some games like Yaris that I wouldn't be able to transfer to the One so I'll probably just keep the 360 forever lol
  • XI AlphaMale IXXI AlphaMale IX1,158,802
    Posted on 26 June 15 at 17:38
    I'm also someone with a 360 that died. Hoping for more games!
  • PraXis91xPraXis91x85,983
    Posted on 26 June 15 at 19:31
    Can I unlock achievements while playing a 360 game in this preview program? I played Mass Effect years ago but only for a few hours (got 3 achievements).. so I just stuck my disk into the XB1 and I am wondering if I am just start the game from scratch and finish the achievements while playing it via preview program on the XB1.
  • SpilnerSpilner1,153,769
    Posted on 27 June 15 at 02:35
    PraXis91x said:Can I unlock achievements while playing a 360 game in this preview program? I played Mass Effect years ago but only for a few hours (got 3 achievements).. so I just stuck my disk into the XB1 and I am wondering if I am just start the game from scratch and finish the achievements while playing it via preview program on the XB1.Yes play it like normal, no DLC atm though
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 June 15 at 06:19
    ScuzzyBunny said:E Hero Killjoy said:NO1KEV said:I wouldn't rush to get a xbox1 for backwards compatibility yet because it is up to the publishers to allow their games and dlc to work on the xbox1 so if some of them dont want to then you wont have access to all the 360 stuff. Personally I'm going to finish my 360 backlog off completely before I get an xbox1, the 360 releases are starting to dry up anyway. Plus if this feature was there from launch (when Ms stated backwards compatibility was impossible btw) then I think more people would of jumped to the xbox1. They are just backtracking because the ps4 sales are miles aheadExactly my thought. It seems to me that publishers would benefit more by denying their games from being backwards compatible. They certainly don't get anything by allowing them, and would want to sell their new games instead. Maybe if Microsoft started paying publishers to give permission, but I kinda doubt Microsoft wants to do that. And that all assumes that the publisher still exists. What about the games owned by publishers that went under and were unable to sell all of their franchises.Both of you guys are making an invalid argument...how does a publisher LOSE anything by allowing backwards compat? For it to work you need to OWN the game...so you already bought it. The only way a publisher might lose out is by hoping that the however many million people who only have a 360 buy their game instead of the lesser millions of people that own a One buy their game if it supports BC. Making a game BC doesn't stop people with 360s from buying it, and it allows MORE CUSTOMERS (since a lot of people traded in or sold their 360s in order to buy the One).

...and you really are going to criticize them for saying, more than two years ago, that something was "impossible" when even Sony is saying they don't know how MS pulled it off? Everything is impossible until someone does it.
    It called luck. Past scaluer thought it was impossable for menkind to fly. And look what we can do now with airplanes. And that is to fly.
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
  • Phoenix C64Phoenix C64319,558
    Posted on 27 June 15 at 07:06, Edited on 27 June 15 at 07:10 by Phoenix C64
    ScuzzyBunny said:E Hero Killjoy said:NO1KEV said:I wouldn't rush to get a xbox1 for backwards compatibility yet because it is up to the publishers to allow their games and dlc to work on the xbox1 so if some of them dont want to then you wont have access to all the 360 stuff. Personally I'm going to finish my 360 backlog off completely before I get an xbox1, the 360 releases are starting to dry up anyway. Plus if this feature was there from launch (when Ms stated backwards compatibility was impossible btw) then I think more people would of jumped to the xbox1. They are just backtracking because the ps4 sales are miles aheadExactly my thought. It seems to me that publishers would benefit more by denying their games from being backwards compatible. They certainly don't get anything by allowing them, and would want to sell their new games instead. Maybe if Microsoft started paying publishers to give permission, but I kinda doubt Microsoft wants to do that. And that all assumes that the publisher still exists. What about the games owned by publishers that went under and were unable to sell all of their franchises.Both of you guys are making an invalid argument...how does a publisher LOSE anything by allowing backwards compat? For it to work you need to OWN the game...so you already bought it. The only way a publisher might lose out is by hoping that the however many million people who only have a 360 buy their game instead of the lesser millions of people that own a One buy their game if it supports BC. Making a game BC doesn't stop people with 360s from buying it, and it allows MORE CUSTOMERS (since a lot of people traded in or sold their 360s in order to buy the One).

...and you really are going to criticize them for saying, more than two years ago, that something was "impossible" when even Sony is saying they don't know how MS pulled it off? Everything is impossible until someone does it.
    ask devs/publishers of Metro 2033, Borderlands 2 & prequel, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 4 and many others how they feel that now that they spend resources and money into making a XB1 remake of their games, people can just buy them for 5$ for the X360 and play them on their XB1 anyways.

if anything, this will cause drop in remakes. which is good for old timers like me who already had the game anyways, but bad for anyone new who wanted to play those games. specially so if it's a game that turns out not to be XB1-X360 retro compatible.

however it might force devs/publishers into making their remakes better, because if the only new thing of a remake is a small graphical upgrade, people will probably stick to the x360 version and play it through backwards compatibility. but if the remake has lots of new interesting stuff, people wont mind spending the extra buck.
    Nerd Rage: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280
  • WcbezoekerWcbezoeker594,976
    Posted on 27 June 15 at 13:45
    Can someone explain how to download the digital titles? The video explains that they should be added to your queue but I do not see any of my purchased titles (Banjo games, Defense Grid and Super Meat Boy).

The disc is not neede to play a 360 game on the One
    I tried this with Viva Pinata TIP, load up the game on the One, download starts, you can remove the disk and the download will continue. Load the disc in the 360, and you can play the game on the two platforms simultaneously (but not with the same Live account).

Live Gold Sharing does not work for 360 titles
    This would be an awesome feature for boosting if it worked, so if your dummy could play on the one with Gold sharing and your main account plays on the 360, but this is not possible. You need an actual Gold account for your dummy is you want to dual/double box. What does work if you have a Gold subscription for your dummy, you can boost easily by hooking up the 360 to the One and snap the 360 screen.

System link does not work
    I could see the game in the game in the list of available system-link-games but I was not able to connect a 360 with a One through system link.
    Posted on 27 June 15 at 14:06
    Never mind, I found it. Go to My games & apps, select games and scroll to the right.
  • Posted on 27 June 15 at 16:30, Edited on 27 June 15 at 16:31 by QuickMythril
    Phoenix C64 said:ask devs/publishers of Metro 2033, Borderlands 2 & prequel, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 4 and many others how they feel that now that they spend resources and money into making a XB1 remake of their games, people can just buy them for 5$ for the X360 and play them on their XB1 anyways.

if anything, this will cause drop in remakes. which is good for old timers like me who already had the game anyways, but bad for anyone new who wanted to play those games. specially so if it's a game that turns out not to be XB1-X360 retro compatible.

however it might force devs/publishers into making their remakes better, because if the only new thing of a remake is a small graphical upgrade, people will probably stick to the x360 version and play it through backwards compatibility. but if the remake has lots of new interesting stuff, people wont mind spending the extra buck.
    my friend got a ps4 because, he felt, it was the superior machine. i could give him a FREE copy of destiny for 360, but he still wouldn't play that with me, he said it's like the game has a haze over it. for something that he was really interested in, say new tomb raider or arkham, he would definitely pay 12x as much for the better copy. BC doesn't hurt anyone.
    Posted on 27 June 15 at 18:46
    Wcbezoeker said:The disc is not neede to play a 360 game on the One
    I tried this with Viva Pinata TIP, load up the game on the One, download starts, you can remove the disk and the download will continue. Load the disc in the 360, and you can play the game on the two platforms simultaneously (but not with the same Live account).
    No, I was wrong, you do need the disc to be in the drive!
  • ENEM2506ENEM250626,943
    Posted on 02 July 15 at 20:56
    this should have been available day one
  • GameLogicGameLogic330,222
    Posted on 03 July 15 at 18:11
    ENEM2506 said:this should have been available day oneNo this should not, because that would only delayed the launch of to the Xbox One. Microsoft could not afford that and I didn't want to wait longer.

I am happy they found a way to make this possible so that I am able to play my 360 games with a One controller.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads