Game Discussion: Microsoft Solitaire Collection (UWP)

Microsoft Solitaire Collection (Win 10) achievements are now on the site

• GAM3RJETGAM3RJET244,613
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 08:09
    Elyoh said:Had a look at that link Gamerjet, and although we apparently can't dual boot, the very next question shows us that we can roll back quite easily to Win8.

So in this case, I would use Win10 until November, roll back to Win8, then change the date to do all of the months between now and then and be done with it. Sound like a plan?
    Maybe, I'm guessing there may be a limitation to that roll back thing though. Certainly Microsoft wouldn't want us infinitely switching between two OSs. I've never done a roll back on a Windows OS or read much about it other than people doing it with Vista back to XP.

It might even be a one way street sort of thing, where rolling back to Win 8 prevents upgrading back into Win 10 again. I'll need to research it some more.

Perhaps you can roll back to Win 8 and as long as you upgrade back to Win 10 before the one year freebie is up that may work?

In another thread, Age of Empires: Castle Siege Coming to Windows 10

Zarbon001 said:paintballgirl said:MadMirror said:So um does anyone know if my laptop will force me to upgrade to win 10 or will it be left alone until i click on upgrade any time i want to.It won't. You have to manually select to download and install it, and will have a year to do so for free. No worries. smileThat actually depends on your version of windows. If you have a home version then the upgrade will be done automatically. If you have pro or Ultimate then you have the ability to choose when you want to install, but not when to download the upgrade.So reading that sounds like the Win 10 is going to be a forced thing if you use the home Win version.
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 08:35
    I don't see why we wouldn't be able to just keep rolling back. Apart from the hours lost on restoring/upgrading etc, we technically own a Win 8/10 license.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • GAM3RJETGAM3RJET244,613
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 09:39
    Soooooo I have to do it every month until I have finished my solitaire? laugh
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42836,385
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 11:09
    Since no one has the medal achievements yet, I assume these aren't transferring yet. Hopefully they will after a title update.

This is comment #11 of the XBA announcement: Comment #11 by brydgesr
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 @ 09:45:31 AM

This is the message the game displays if you try to play it on W10 latest preview version. It should answer most questions.

Microsoft Solitaire Collection

In celebration of Microsoft Solitaire 25th anniversary we are proud to show our latest version of Solitaire on Windows 10.

The initial build does not have Xbox live achievements, or leaderboards but there will be a title update very soon with these great features.

We found your save data from the Windows 8 version and we are keeping it safe for you.

For now you will be playing as a new user, but when the title update is available, we will load your old save data and add to it any progress you've made.

As soon as the title update is available we will let you know! Until then, we hope you enjoy playing Microsoft Solitaire Collection on Windows 10.
    On the other hand, since achievements are now live, perhaps this TU already happened.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,354
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 14:38
    Elyoh said:Had a look at that link Gamerjet, and although we apparently can't dual boot, the very next question shows us that we can roll back quite easily to Win8.

So in this case, I would use Win10 until November, roll back to Win8, then change the date to do all of the months between now and then and be done with it. Sound like a plan?
    I don't think you can change the date. I think you'll have to do it month by month.
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 14:53
    GAMERJET XBL said:Certainly Microsoft wouldn't want us infinitely switching between two OSs.
    Then Microsoft should figure out an elegant way for people to finish the Windows 8 games they started.
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 14:59
    Out of nostalgia, I got three Windows 8 games that I had enjoyed on previous versions of Windows--Mahjong, Solitaire, and Minesweeper. Although I have enjoyed the games, they have been a headache. Minesweeper and Solitaire title updates were imposed on me each requiring twelve months of play to get twelve bronze badges. (There were silver and gold badge requirements that take 8 and 10 months respectively to complete.)

I finished Minesweeper and have 6 of the 12 bronze badges for Solitaire. I expect to be blindsided with a Win 8 Mahjong update any time now.

I have learned my lesson and will not be installing any Win 10 games no matter how good they are.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,907,721
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 17:13
    Allgorhythm said:Out of nostalgia, I got three Windows 8 games that I had enjoyed on previous versions of Windows--Mahjong, Solitaire, and Minesweeper. Although I have enjoyed the games, they have been a headache. Minesweeper and Solitaire title updates were imposed on me each requiring twelve months of play to get twelve bronze badges. (There were silver and gold badge requirements that take 8 and 10 months respectively to complete.)

I finished Minesweeper and have 6 of the 12 bronze badges for Solitaire. I expect to be blindsided with a Win 8 Mahjong update any time now.

I have learned my lesson and will not be installing any Win 10 games no matter how good they are.
    Embrace the daily challenges. I'm doing all seven games at once (Solitaire, Taptiles, Jigsaw, Minesweeper, both stacks of Sudoku, and Mahjong just in case) and now that I have the rhythm down, it's a decent enough way to spend my morning before work. I skip some of the expert challenges in Solitaire and Jigsaw because no point, but otherwise the challenges are pretty easy to work through quickly.

That said, I like these kinds of puzzle games, so YMMV.
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 17:44
    I like the daily challenges and do them religiously. What I don't like is the uncertainty of maybe not finishing as I go from Windows 8 to Windows X.
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 20:42
    Allgorhythm said:I like the daily challenges and do them religiously. What I don't like is the uncertainty of maybe not finishing as I go from Windows 8 to Windows X.That's my problem as well. I still have solitaire and Sudoku to go until November.

I've decided for now to just cancel the windows 10 upgrade. Worst case scenario I just stay Win 8 until November 6th-ish.

Oh, and yes, you can go backwards. I started both Sudoku and solitaire in April, and went backwards to December to catch up.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,907,721
    Posted on 22 July 15 at 22:39
    Allgorhythm said:I like the daily challenges and do them religiously. What I don't like is the uncertainty of maybe not finishing as I go from Windows 8 to Windows X.A fair point. I have a tablet and a laptop so I'll upgrade one.
  • brydgesrbrydgesr511,062
    Posted on 23 July 15 at 10:41
    I have the latest W10 preview #10240 build. I uninstalled Solitaire and used wsreset.exe then downloaded the latest version #3.2.7151.0 so I was able to log into xbox live.

It recognises your Win8 saved data and sync's it with this version. I can see my monthly progress in the daily challenges (a bronze badge for February 2015). But none of the existing achievements unlock from Win8 version.

I like the fact it now tracks achievement progress, for example the Marathon achievement has a progress bar and shows x days out of 31 completed. Also none of my existing progress towards achievements is shown. This may change on release next week.

I then logged back into Win8 and my old progress was still there untouched,

FYI I have Win10 preview running in a VM and Win8 on a separate tablet. I used a dummy account that has achievements and badges unlocked for the test.
    Posted on 23 July 15 at 12:32
    brydgesr said:I have the latest W10 preview #10240 build. I uninstalled Solitaire and used wsreset.exe then downloaded the latest version #3.2.7151.0 so I was able to log into xbox live.

It recognises your Win8 saved data and sync's it with this version. I can see my monthly progress in the daily challenges (a bronze badge for February 2015). But none of the existing achievements unlock from Win8 version.

I like the fact it now tracks achievement progress, for example the Marathon achievement has a progress bar and shows x days out of 31 completed. Also none of my existing progress towards achievements is shown. This may change on release next week.

I then logged back into Win8 and my old progress was still there untouched,

FYI I have Win10 preview running in a VM and Win8 on a separate tablet. I used a dummy account that has achievements and badges unlocked for the test.
    Can you play the Win 8 Solitaire in Win 10 without unlocking Win 10 Solitaire on your profile?

I abhor Win 8 so the sooner I can replace it with Win 10 the better. I do not want to play Win 10 Solitaire, though, until I have completed Win 8 Solitaire. So, the ideal solution for me is to be able to play Win 8 Solitaire under Win 10.
  • GuidalityGuidality903,114
    Posted on 23 July 15 at 12:36
    Same general achievement list again. Wish they'd change it up a bit to keep solitaire fresh.
    Posted on 23 July 15 at 13:20
    So I completed one of today's easy daily challenges on Win10 as a test. Although there was no in game notification of the four achievements unlocking this site reports them unlocked. The GT is Winalley. The four achievements relate to completing the challenge today only. If progress is carried over from Win8 I would have expected Marathon to unlock and it didn't. This isn't the final build as they are going to implement leaderboards.

At the moment it looks like they are separate achievement lists for win8 and 10. That may change when the final build is released,
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 23 July 15 at 19:42
    I really doubt they'd make one game cover two lists. It's either one or the other.

Windows 8 until November it is!
    Posted on 23 July 15 at 20:42
    It was wishful thinking on my part.

I have 100% completion for the Win 8 version so I don't want to fire it up on a Win 10 device and then have to start again to maintain 100% completion on my gamertag. Also it would have been a free 1000g.

I've been playing since Jan 2014 and MS have made server side tweaks in the past. There is a small chance they will let Win 10 recognise progress from Win 8. They did make the 360 version of Minecraft and GTAV saves work on the XB1 and the achievements carried over. Plus it would align with the policy of encouraging users to move to Win 10 asap.

If it doesn't come to pass next week I'll stick to Win 8 like yourself. After 18 months of Win 8 I've become comfortable with its idiosyncrasies, I don't feel like relearning it again for Win10.
  • TangerineGamerTangerineGamer2,612,000
    Posted on 31 July 15 at 08:26, Edited on 31 July 15 at 08:28 by TangerineGamer
    GAMERJET XBL said:SnD ACiD RAiN said:Just install Win 10 on a different partition if you're worried about itThat's what a lot of people are considering and I was until reading this....

"Can I dual boot the free upgrade of Windows 10 with my previous version of the operating system?

No. Upgrading to Windows 10 doesn't free up your previous license, so you cannot install your previous version on another machine or in a dual-boot configuration. The upgrade requires installing Windows 10 on top of a valid version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation to continue with the upgrade process."

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-questions-and-answe...

So unless everyone is going to shell out $119 or $199 for Windows 10 to keep some legacy Win 8 games in a dual boot option. Dual boot isn't a realistic option.
    Could you not partition and install the 90 day evaluation version, doesn't upgrade your current OS etc.

I know you used to be able to re-arm the eval version of Win8 giving you another 90 days (used to be up-to 3 re-arms but they changed it to 999 ... they'd be investigating if you re-armed more than 3/5 times though) so I assume you can do the same for Win10.

This is probably what I'll do to check it out, and post back if I have any issues etc.
    Having a boot menu of Win7, Win8.1, Server 2012 R2 AND Win10 will be annoying but anywhoo
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 31 July 15 at 08:43
    Yeeeea...I'm going to wait for people like you to try this before I personally try laugh When it comes to computers I'm good at quite a few things, but OS's are definitely not one of them. Never bothered to learn and don't really want to laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads