Site Wishlist - Archive

Archived site wishlist posts

My Games Collection

• Implemented
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 13 October 10 at 14:55, Edited on 11 November 13 at 05:26 by Jayour
    Edit: I'm going to add to this original post and go into a bit more depth than I originally did (adding the suggestions made from the community in this thread too).

The idea is to implement a new page on to the website where you could build up a catalogue of games you own and are in possession of. An example of this would be, I rented and completed 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand from a local store, I'm known (amongst friends) for not trading games in and keeping them which has led to me being asked to help with games that are attached to my profile but games I am no longer in possession of and so it would be useful to be able to compile a complete list of games I own so rather than people having to guess, they'd know for 100% that I do still own this game. - That's the general idea being supported here.

I think the best way to display this page would be on a grid style page, similar to how most online retailers display their products, an example of this can be seen here. Obviously we'd want to expand on that and have a few little extra features.

Firstly, if possible it'd be nice to display the games with their game art, I just think it'd be a nice touch for the page rather than using the games icon art. Naturally the games would be displayed in alphabetical order.

In addition, under each game it would be nice to display:

• The users star rating for the game. - Note, the users rating and not the community rating.
    • Display the users current gamerscore/TA score for each game
    • If the option to "Add the game to boost list" has been selected, have it displayed under the title so friends know not only do you own "this" game but you're actively looking to boost "this" game.

Now, this feature won't be tied to the tracking side of the website at all so it will not affect the ratios of games. Think of it as a place to show off your collection or check and see other peoples collections.

Naturally we should be able to limit who can see this information, the normal options we use would be fine, I don't know the exact wording used but something like; "Anyone" and "Just friends" would do I'm sure.

For completeness's sake, here is the inital OP:

Jayour said:
    I was looking around on TA the other day and I couldn't see this feature, I know we can click "My Games" and see all the games we've played but I rented/borrowed lots of those games and don't own them myself.

What I was thinking was to have a feature where you can build up your collection, it's quite a basic feature I know, but it'd be nice to be able to put together a list of the games you own, I have about 40 unplayed retail titles just sat on my shelves which I'm slowly working through, some of it comes down to needing to boost them etc, now if a friend could look through the list of games I own and go; "Oh yeah, he has COD3, I need to boost that too, I'll let him know", that'd be dead useful.

You could further implement a "Date Completed" tag below it, in green, "Date First Played/Last Played" whichever really, in red and perhaps a "Unplayed" tag in a light grey.

It's not that much different from the Wish List section of the site, except this would be 100% accurate to what games you currently own, the only times it wouldn't be accurate it when the user hasn't updated it!

Thoughts, suggestions?
  • Epsilon ThetaEpsilon Theta1,011,981
    Posted on 13 October 10 at 15:46
    Seconded! A useful feature that would become even more useful if the holder of the game collection could flag his game with for example:
    - Looking for boosting partner
    - Slowly grinding through
    - Loved that game, giving it more playthroughs
    - Want to trade
    - Borrowed
    - etc

I think this could replace the "wants to boost" button as well as the need for any game trading threads since you can simply go to collections of persons you trust and browse.
  • Posted on 13 October 10 at 16:51
    I remember Jay talking to me about this feature...why, just today!
    Completely agree with this mate, we kind of realized it when he said that he was looking for a partner to do the Banjo Kazooie retail game with, and I just happen to have it, but didn't know that HE had it as well. This feature would be very useful to a lot of people, myself included.

I know I have at least 10-15 retail titles I've never played as well as LIKE 50-60 arcade titles. This would be very useful to people such as Jay and myself (and everyone! IMO!)
  • Posted on 13 October 10 at 21:45
    It sounds like a great feature to me, too. I particularly like Epsilon Theta's suggestions.
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,579,693
    Posted on 13 October 10 at 21:50
    Sounds sensible to me.

+1
    A Blue Slime appears!
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 13 October 10 at 22:54
    Yeah, I really your input Eps, appreciate it!

The only thing I'd dropped is the "borrowed" tag, it kind of negates the point of building up a page of games you own, there's lots that could be done with this though!

Instead of the little; "Loved this game bit", could perhaps have what you rated it show up under it/next to it, obviously the location depends on the style of the page.
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 14 October 10 at 03:37
    Hah, yeah I think it was... jay-something! wink

Well, at the very least consider this an epic bump, so epic it ended up in another thread posted by someone else!
  • DeathGuard 123DeathGuard 1231,529,353
    Posted on 14 October 10 at 11:29
    +1 from me. Also got about 25-30 unplayed retails laying around. Some not willing to start untill i got a boosting partner for the on-line ones. So this would really help.
  • Chad and JessieChad and Jessie1,649,787
    Posted on 19 October 10 at 06:26
    +1 for me too...

Besides that jaganlasdkpwrjklxcvn (*just smashed her head into keyboard to finish typing the rest of that gt*) guy, I'm sure I've seen something similar to this suggestion elsewhere. Aha... here it was Multiple site suggesstions (i'd consider these common sense) I'm sure this poster would be in favor. I also much enjoy some of Epsilon Theta suggestions.
    "This isn't a dating site???"
  • BeanpotterBeanpotter1,992,192
    Posted on 19 October 10 at 08:20
    If this list had it's own page, it could possibly show, at a glance, anyone on your friends list who has the same game (in the same way it shows your friends scores when you go to a games page).
    VP of PR - GSSP.
  • LitaOsirisLitaOsiris1,209,789
    Posted on 19 October 10 at 15:41
    +1. I know with me I have every game on my list but it's not the same for other people so it would be nice to know what they have.

This is a nicely detailed expansion of the boost list:

Epsilon Theta said:
    Seconded! A useful feature that would become even more useful if the holder of the game collection could flag his game with for example:
    - Looking for boosting partner
    - Slowly grinding through
    - Loved that game, giving it more playthroughs
    - Want to trade
    - Borrowed
    - etc
    +1 as well. Also an option for "Disc burned - will never play again" wink
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 19 October 10 at 18:17
    It's good to see so many people behind the idea!
  • Posted on 19 October 10 at 18:51
    There are all sorts of little ways to integrate this kind of stuff. I'd love to see people show up with 0s on "My Friends' Scores" boxes when they've added something to their collection. I'd love to see "My Easy Achievements" only generate stuff from the collection, not from the played games (That way you get suggestions on unplayed games, AND eliminate stuff you're rid of. I know lots of people are bothered by that problem!). Boost lists, appearing on "compare games" pages, etc.

The only thing is I'd rather not see this stuff affecting ratios and completion percentages. Ratios should exclude people who haven't even bothered to play the game yet, as they are no indication of achievement challenge level or anything similar. Completion percentage because the feature integration would work better if people add their games in, and we don't want to discourage that! (Although I suppose it could be made optional. Some people feel they should count)
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 19 October 10 at 19:29
    Jagan, I don't think anyone would want the latter part implemented anyway, so I don't see that being a problem.
  • Posted on 19 October 10 at 19:43
    Some people actually do want to be able to just manually add in games, or have their 0 pointers scanned in, or whatever.
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 19 October 10 at 19:51
    But not of a by product of this feature, the main idea of this is to show people games you own but haven't played yet.

Which is why they wouldn't be tracked, because you haven't played them.

I get what you're saying, but like I said, it's not related to this feature I'm asking for!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 19 October 10 at 19:58
    This would obsolete N0RVY's List of Unplayed Games (which isn't a bad thing).

I support this as long as it stays separate from the stats calculations.
  • Tasty PastryTasty Pastry462,911
    Posted on 31 January 11 at 18:08
    I know it's a bit of an old thread, but would just like to throw in my support smile
    As soon as you're born you start dying...
  • JayourJayour1,171,766
    Posted on 31 January 11 at 22:07
    Ha, s'always good to show your support. I realise Rich is probably swamped but lately it's become even clearer that this would be a great addition to the site.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads