Game Discussion: Sonic Adventure

DX Achievements Work-arounds

• ezhnoezhno560,671
    Posted on 21 June 13 at 15:23, Edited on 29 June 13 at 17:29 by ezhno
    Updated: 6/28/2013
    As of this update, the 1.5gb version is available for download on the Marketplace and it is confirmed to be working. Anyone with the 1.6gb copy should delete it and replace it before this game mysteriously reverts yet again. This entire post is now considered to be in historical context as it no longer reflects the current situation. This post will therefore be placed entirely in quotation to reflect the current fixed state of the game. Should the Marketplace copy revert again, this edit will be removed.

SirEzhno said:
    Preface
    Many years ago, I purchased a Dreamcast and enjoyed its games so much that I wanted to complete them all over again on Xbox 360. To my joy, many of the Dreamcast titles are on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Unfortunately Sonic Adventure, one of my favourite Dreamcast games, has glitchy achievements in the DX DLC. Frustrated by this, I long searched for a resolution to this malady and I have compiled all relevant information here, for everyone, in as succinct a format as I could make. In short, yes, there are work-arounds!

In the hopes of seeing an official, permanent, fix for this game, I encourage everyone who is concerned to go to Sega's support site and file complaints about this issue. The first time it was temporarily fixed was due in part to a high volume of complaints. There's no excuse for their failure to keep the fixed copy up for download; so send them, and Xbox, complaints!
    https://segaofamerica.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us?xr=footnav

(Also, if anyone wouldn't mind helping me complete the DX achievements via a work-around that would be awesome. Unfortunately, such a person is difficult to find and the possibility of exploitation is fairly high. Otherwise I would have made a post regarding people who want to help/need help.)

[Table of Contents]
    I. Game Versions
    II. Timeline of Events
    III. Known Work-arounds
    IV. Disclaimer
    V. References

[I. Game Versions]
    (1). The 1.5gb version
    Showed as 1.49gb on the Marketplace. This version will allow all DX achievements to unlock.
    (2). The 1.6gb version
    Shows as 1.5gb on the Marketplace. This version will not allow DX achievements to unlock.
    (3). The 1.5gb Trial version
    Shows as 1.49gb on the Marketplace. This version initially unlocked to the full 1.5gb version if purchased through the game. Now, it will only disconnect you from LIVE and re-direct you to download the current 1.6gb version.
    (4). The Dreamcast Collection version
    For the purposes of this post, it will be considered identical to the 1.6gb(2) version.

[II. Timeline of Events]
    September 15, 2010:
    Sonic Adventure (1.5gb) is placed on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace for sale.

February 22, 2011:
    The Dreamcast Collection is released for Xbox 360.

February - March, 2011:
    The Xbox LIVE Arcade version of Sonic Adventure changes from 1.5gb to 1.6gb. This is speculated to be the result of replacing the original Marketplace copy with the newly released Dreamcast Collection version of the game.

March, 2011:
    Gamers find that the DX achievements are broken. All affected users have the 1.6gb or Dreamcast Collection version of the game.

December 28, 2011:
    The "Xbox 12 Days of Deals: Day 9" places Sonic Adventure and several other Sonic titles on sale. The Xbox LIVE Arcade version of the game changes back from 1.6gb to 1.5gb. All DX achievements work for anyone who downloads the game past this date; and there was much rejoicing.

June 19 - 25, 2012 to Present:
    The "Xbox Live Marketplace Deal of the Week" also known as the "Sonic 21st Anniversary Sale" changes the Xbox Live Arcade version of Sonic Adventure, yet again, from 1.5gb to 1.6gb. DX achievements no longer work for anyone who downloads the game past this date.

Late June, 2013:
    The Marketplace copy of Sonic Adventure has yet again changed in size; back to the 1.5gb version. Confirmed to be the correct version that works with all achievements.

[III. Known Work-arounds]
    Please note that the correct working version of the game (1.5gb) is available on the Marketplace as of 6/28/13 and so no work-arounds are required as long as it remains available.

Playing off of the 1.5gb version is the ONLY way anyone will unlock the DX achievements. The 1.6gb version is as faulty as the Dreamcast Collection version and neither will unlock the DX achievements. Online, offline, clearing your cache, recovering your GamerTag, etc will NOT change anything. You need the 1.5gb version, it is as simple as that. Also note that it is a good idea to keep your game save just one item short of completing any of the DX achievements. This way you can have it ready at all times and avoid having to repeat the entire game all over again.

If a GamerTag has ever downloaded the 1.5gb version of the game from the marketplace, regardless of whether or not it was deleted, it retains the usage rights for the 1.5gb version. This means that, if the 1.5gb version is obtained again (if deleted), the game and DX achievements will work without issue. Keep in mind that, if you have changed consoles, this will likely also require you to have done a license transfer as well. If you have only downloaded the 1.6gb version then you do NOT have the 1.5gb usage rights.

Where and how you gain access to the 1.5gb copy is another issue if you do not still have it or have never downloaded it. It is not on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace, can not be re-downloaded from the Marketplace, and I have never found any online downloads that were compatible with an Xbox 360 formatted USB flash drive.

(1). You have usage rights
    Know or find someone online or locally who possesses it and make arrangements for them to transfer it to an Xbox 360 formatted USB flash drive and mail it to you.

(2). You do not have usage rights
    Know or find someone locally who possesses the 1.5gb version and transfer your GamerTag and game save (if any) to their console. Once the requirements are met, while playing on their console, the achievements will unlock.

(3). You do not have usage rights or know anyone locally
    Know or find someone online who possesses it, upload your save (if any) to the Xbox Cloud and make arrangements for them to unlock the achievement for you by playing on your GamerTag and downloading your save from the Xbox Cloud.

[IV. Disclaimer]
    (1). This post will be altered or expanded as new information becomes available.
    (2). If anything in this post goes against the forum rules or terms of service I will happily edit it accordingly.
    (3). I do not vouch for the credibility of any content or offers of help posted in this thread by other users.
    (4). Attempting any of the work-arounds specified here is done entirely at your own risk.
    (5). I take no responsibility for the resulting condition, damage to, or loss of your GamerTag, Xbox 360, or games in the pursuit of these achievements.
    (6). Some of the DX achievements may not unlock retro-actively. You may be forced to start a new game if this is the case. Ideally, you should keep your game save just one item short of earning any of the three DX achievements so that you can avoid having to do all of the work again.

[V. References]
    Data & Cross-reference Verification
    Sonic Adventure
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sonic-adventure-dx-d...

General Information
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_Collection
    http://majornelson.com/2011/12/28/xbox-12-days-of-deals-day-...
    http://majornelson.com/2012/06/12/content-coming-soon-to-the...
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Sonic-Adventure/66...

Work-around Sources
    Mission All Accomplished didn't unlock
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30...
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37...

Additional Credits
    pvtkjoe117 - For letting us know that the 1.5gb version was back!
    Xbox Twitter Support - For being awesome!
  • IcarusPainIcarusPain981,154
    Posted on 21 June 13 at 16:28
    You really want those achievements huh?
    IcarusPain
  • ezhnoezhno560,671
    Posted on 21 June 13 at 16:35
    Yesssssssss I do!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 June 13 at 06:06
    Do you just need the game on the flash drive?
  • ezhnoezhno560,671
    Posted on 22 June 13 at 06:23
    If you have the usage rights for the 1.5gb copy, yes.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 June 13 at 06:26, Edited on 22 June 13 at 06:51 by
    SirEzhno said:
    If you have the usage rights for the 1.5gb copy, yes.
    Ok, I will check. I downloaded that game a long time ago and never played it. I am pretty sure I have the version you want. I was just making sure you only needed the game and not the profile (which I would not give away under any circumstance).

Edit: Yes I have the 1.5GB version on my HDD.
  • ezhnoezhno560,671
    Posted on 22 June 13 at 11:15
    No one is asking anyone for their information. If you have the 1.5gb which you downloaded from the Marketplace (which means you were granted the usage rights for it simultaneously) then your game is unaffected. You will be able to obtain all achievements without issue when you meet their requirements.

Someone who has only downloaded the 1.6gb version will only have the usage rights for that version. A copy of the 1.5gb file would do nothing for them (if it even allowed itself to launch). In the case of these people, such as myself, the only solution is for their GamerTag and save to be placed on someone else's console that does have the 1.5gb usage rights. Some people have just been lucky to have friends with this required version and completed the achievements playing on the friend's console.

It's a ridiculous situation, really.
  • ezhnoezhno560,671
    Posted on 29 June 13 at 01:58, Edited on 29 June 13 at 17:30 by ezhno
    Update! Thanks to pvtkjoe117 for letting me know.

Apparently the Xbox Live Marketplace copy has yet again changed back to the 1.5gb version. If you have the 1.6gb version you'll have to delete it before you re-download it. Make sure the Marketplace says that you are downloading the 1.49gb version (it shows as 1.5 once on your hard drive).
  • vaux8vaux8170,968
    Posted on 04 July 13 at 19:22
    thx, do i also need to redownload the dx dlc or not, since it allready shows the 15 achievements from my 1,6 gb version, thx
  • Posted on 10 January 14 at 15:26
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this. A friend of mine gifted me the Dreamcast Collection, so it appears I'll be avoiding the Sonic game now as I won't be forking over more money just to have the 1.5GB version.

I don't like Sonic THAT much. smile
    Rollus Tidus
  • Posted on 19 August 16 at 18:58
    I'm gonna try inistalling my old version I downloaded in 2012. Let's see what happens
  • count023count0231,009,997
    Posted on 01 November 17 at 23:32
    I'm on the bone with this and it say "2.2gb" as the size... what version do I have?
  • ezhnoezhno560,671
    Posted on 02 November 17 at 23:25
    count023 said:
    I'm on the bone with this and it say "2.2gb" as the size... what version do I have?
    Are you looking at the Xbox One backwards compatible version? That's the only reason I can think it would be that large. If so, I have no idea how that version is affected as far as achievements go.
  • Nuck PhDNuck PhD303,474
    Posted on 12 December 17 at 00:40
    count023 said:
    If you hit the "Download Content" button on the main menu (in game,) it'll open up the Xbox 360 Marketplace page for Sonic Adventure, where you can see the actual download sizes. When I checked mine, it said it was the 1.49 gb version, which allowed me to unlock the DX achievements on the bone. Yours should be 1.49 as well, but you may wanna check.
  • count023count0231,009,997
    Posted on 30 May 18 at 07:13
    sweet, as of 30/5, i have the 1.49 version.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads