Game Discussion: Batman: Arkham City

I'm Batman

• Posted on 27 July 13 at 06:54
    Discussion not only about the Game but movies, comics, games too, overall Batman! I personally love the movies and love the games more, especially how in depth the back story of Arkham City went into! But what saddens me is that Christian Bale most likely won't to be doing a fourth Batman movie, the triforce of the Batman movies (Begins, Dark Knight, and Returns) were unbelievable regardless. You cannot deny that the acting of Bale and Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight was anything short of a masterpiece. But I just wish he continued, imagine, with the possibilities of the special effects now a days... Anything short of seeing Killer Croc dueling it out against Bale would surprise me! Batman definitely has the best villains, and too many just to stop at 3 (not really considering the real old ones with The Penguin, the Riddler, Mr. Freeze, etc) only because i truly love Bale as Batman and couldn't see anyone else playing him, probably because that's the only i saw Batman (what old Batman movies do you recommend?)... Anyway I haven't read any of Robin/Nightwing's comics so i don't know if he has any villains, so maybe the Robin movie(s) [if they make multiple or even one movie] will have the Batman villains! I can only hope! But whats your opinion on Batman: games, movies, comics, anything!? I didn't know where else to post this, but just thought an overall discussion of Batman would be kinda cool :) sorry for my limited knowledge of this site! :$
    The Zestiest of Potatoes
  • PRELUDEcrisPRELUDEcris221,296
    Posted on 01 August 13 at 22:31
    Christopher Nolan (the director of the newest batman movies) only planned on doing 3 batman movies. he wanted to keep everyone happy with just that. there have been about 3 different robins in the batman comics (dick grayson, Jason todd, tim drake, even batgirl was once robin at one point) so it would be hard to do a robin movie when there has been a few different robins. I guess they could do a nightwing movie (dick grayson) but I believe there would have to be some back story on how he became nightwing which was dropping the role of being robin and no longer being batmans sidekick. it seems to be a lot of work to try and keep die hard batman fans happy. but who knows someone might do it. It was cool though of Christopher Nolan to make the batman movies because the were great but they were great because he did his research and read a lot of the batman comics and took stories from the comics to put in the movies (unlike the massacre of deadpool in the xmen origins wolverine movie, but that is a different story lol). and same with the batman games, these developers did theyre research on batman and create the game around the comics which is what you are supposed to do. I could go on and on, im a die hard batman fan.
  • Maxterfeak3Maxterfeak3443,423
    Posted on 08 August 19 at 15:12
    no its a fact nolan just planned to do 2 movies but he dont saw that was 3; even bale had to stay away from his family on vacations to be there and most of the crew was upset most of the time in the 3rd movie....
  • CenosisCenosis303,192
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 19:32
    I'm a big Batman fan as well, I don't collect comics but the few graphic novels that I do have are all Batman; The Long Halloween, Dark Victory (sequel to TLH), Under the Red Hood, Hush, and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. (Under the Red Hood the animated movie was even better than the book so I highly recommend it.)

Begins and Dark Knight were great Batman movies but I was disappointed with DK Rises. However when reminded of how bad Batman & Robin and Batman Forever were then it is obviously a great movie by comparison.
    I'm not all that excited about Robert Pattinson being given the cowl but maybe we'll get lucky and he'll surprise all the doubters.

I have the Arkham games on the 360 and I was beyond impressed with all of them. Batman fans couldn't of asked for anything more. Arkham Origins was criticised for not being different enough (or Rocksteady) but I thought it was perfectly fine though, the Warner Bros. developer did a good job with it.
  • FireDrake007FireDrake007271,364
    Posted on 16 August 19 at 23:40, Edited on 16 August 19 at 23:42 by FireDrake007
    Cenosis said:
    I'm a big Batman fan as well, I don't collect comics but the few graphic novels that I do have are all Batman; The Long Halloween, Dark Victory (sequel to TLH), Under the Red Hood, Hush, and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. (Under the Red Hood the animated movie was even better than the book so I highly recommend it.)

Begins and Dark Knight were great Batman movies but I was disappointed with DK Rises. However when reminded of how bad Batman & Robin and Batman Forever were then it is obviously a great movie by comparison.
    I'm not all that excited about Robert Pattinson being given the cowl but maybe we'll get lucky and he'll surprise all the doubters.

I have the Arkham games on the 360 and I was beyond impressed with all of them. Batman fans couldn't of asked for anything more. Arkham Origins was criticised for not being different enough (or Rocksteady) but I thought it was perfectly fine though, the Warner Bros. developer did a good job with it.
    Hey man. I am currently playing the Arkham series(Return to Arkham Xbox One version) for the first time and am really enjoying it. I just finished Batman Arkham Asylum and am starting Arkham City today.

I also have 3 other Batman games on my backlog, Arkham Origins, Arkham Knight, the 2 games in the Batman Telltale series and the OG Xbox game Batman Begins which I plan to play after re-watching the movie.

I have watched all the movies and used to read some of the comics when I was younger but never got to play the games in the past, so I have a lot of catching up to do playing those on Xbox and PC.
  • CenosisCenosis303,192
    Posted on 17 August 19 at 23:57
    I'm glad to hear that you're having a blast in those games. So I take it you found the middle stick? I like a dummy looked at the controller thinking it would help somehow. To my surprise it was not an N64 controller which actually does have a middle-stick (or at least a stick in the middle.)

Arkham Asylum is more memorable to me on the 360 than it just being one of the best games I've ever played. It was one of the first games I played on the system and I had never seen such amazing graphics/detail in a game before. I previously owned a PS2 but all the textures were blurry messes because of the anti-aliasing filter and on the PS1 everything was pixelated. So for the first time in a game I was seeing amazing color textures and realistic light n shadow effects etc. so when all the bad-guys were downed I remember running around with Batman trying to jam the camera in different spots so I could get a closer look at stuff. I did the same in Halo 3 cause it had a first-person cam but I got most of the amazement out of my system in AA.

I've been meaning to go back through all three of those sometime to pickup a lot more of the achievements than I originally did. I remember having trouble with the fifty hit combo, not fairing well in the challenges and I literally just need one more Riddler trophy in AA. I'm trying to free-up some HD space by completing a few other games first.

Anyways it's good to hear you're having fun in those games, I hope you enjoy Origins as well. I can only assume if I had the Return to Arkham versions I would jack all the bad-guys and then it would be BatCam Time!
    Posted on 19 August 19 at 02:21, Edited on 19 August 19 at 02:28 by FireDrake007
    Cenosis said:
    I'm glad to hear that you're having a blast in those games. So I take it you found the middle stick? I like a dummy looked at the controller thinking it would help somehow. To my surprise it was not an N64 controller which actually does have a middle-stick (or at least a stick in the middle.)

Arkham Asylum is more memorable to me on the 360 than it just being one of the best games I've ever played. It was one of the first games I played on the system and I had never seen such amazing graphics/detail in a game before. I previously owned a PS2 but all the textures were blurry messes because of the anti-aliasing filter and on the PS1 everything was pixelated. So for the first time in a game I was seeing amazing color textures and realistic light n shadow effects etc. so when all the bad-guys were downed I remember running around with Batman trying to jam the camera in different spots so I could get a closer look at stuff. I did the same in Halo 3 cause it had a first-person cam but I got most of the amazement out of my system in AA.

I've been meaning to go back through all three of those sometime to pickup a lot more of the achievements than I originally did. I remember having trouble with the fifty hit combo, not fairing well in the challenges and I literally just need one more Riddler trophy in AA. I'm trying to free-up some HD space by completing a few other games first.

Anyways it's good to hear you're having fun in those games, I hope you enjoy Origins as well. I can only assume if I had the Return to Arkham versions I would jack all the bad-guys and then it would be BatCam Time!
    Sorry, I never owned the N64 console so I am not familiar with a middle stick on my controller. redface

Arkham Asylum was a really awesome game. I am also enjoying Arkham City. Despite their age, both Return to Arkham games look graphically like newly released games to me. BTW, I did get all the Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum, but not all the achievements. Those Boss battles were hard though.

I am just overwhelmed by the number of trophies, achievements, side missions, challenges, balloons, cameras, etc. in Arkham City, that are now available for this open world version of Arkham Asylum. I am also still trying to master the intricacies of diving and gliding in the Augmented Reality training part of the game.

At this time I might just go for the main story and side missions instead of completing other challenges or achievements so I can go on to other games in my backlog. I guess I will just have to go back to try to finish all the achievements on AA and AC in the future.
  • CenosisCenosis303,192
    Posted on 19 August 19 at 16:49
    The Riddler trophy I was struggling with showed on the map as being outside but I think you have to travel around inside one of the buildings or sewers and come outside a certain way in order to get it. Since it baffled me quite a bit I just wanted to move on to another game at the time.
    Definitely an awesome game, I thought all the abilities and gadgets were kickass and implemented perfectly, like hanging upside down from a gargoyle and snatching-up a badguy is one of the coolest things I've ever seen put into a game.

In AC I also struggled with the Augmented Reality challenges, I eventually reached one I had to give up on. I remember getting all the Riddler trophies in that one except for the purple ones since I don't have the Catwoman DLC, there are a ridiculous number of them though.

I plan on going back to them in the future as well, hopefully the near future since all this talk is making want to play them again. I've acquired a ton of games over the last several months so I need to start completing some stuff so I don't have to put them back on again later.
    I'm trying to complete CoD 4 right now and the Veteran difficulty is pretty ridiculous, seems like I have to die thirty or forty times between most checkpoints. Thankfully the checkpoints are plentiful and load almost instantly.
    Posted on 19 August 19 at 22:30
    I still have to start many of the Xbox 360 CoD games and I have all of them. If you knew my backlog of games on PC, Xbox One and Xbox 360, you will probably cry since there will be no way I can finish them all.

I sometimes get burned out with AAA open world titles with so many achievements, quests and collectables to finish, but I am having so much fun with the Arkham series, I will probably continue playing and coming back to the series just to finish them all at some point.
  • CenosisCenosis303,192
    Posted on 20 August 19 at 10:17
    I've seen your backlog of 360 games when I compare games with you, they show up as zeros instead of double dashes in the list which means you loaded them at least once. Just don't try CoD 4 on Veteran otherwise you will cry. I just finally met my match and threw in the towel a little while ago. I have no idea how 49,000 tracked gamers on this site 100%ed the dang thing. Well the good news is I think I just freed up enough space for Arkham Asylum. Hopefully hard mode will be kinder to me in that.
    Posted on 20 August 19 at 21:04, Edited on 20 August 19 at 21:35 by FireDrake007
    Cenosis said:
    I've seen your backlog of 360 games when I compare games with you, they show up as zeros instead of double dashes in the list which means you loaded them at least once. Just don't try CoD 4 on Veteran otherwise you will cry. I just finally met my match and threw in the towel a little while ago. I have no idea how 49,000 tracked gamers on this site 100%ed the dang thing. Well the good news is I think I just freed up enough space for Arkham Asylum. Hopefully hard mode will be kinder to me in that.
    Yup. I noticed you went back to Arkham Asylum and gained more achievements. It looks like you got that final Riddler Trophy too. I might try to get back someday to gain more achievements as well, but I need to work on my backlog first starting with Arkham City.

I have plenty of 360 discs I have installed and downloaded on my 360 console but have not yet played including all the Call of Duty Xbox 360 games starting with CoD 3, and some back compatible CoD OG Xbox games(Finest Hour and Big Red One). I also have CoD 2 on PC still on my backlog. I am only missing the first CoD on PC(which for some reason rarely goes on sale on steam) and Final Fronts on PS2 which I don't own.

I was also planning on finishing Dragon Age Origins which I started a long time ago.
  • CenosisCenosis303,192
    Posted on 21 August 19 at 14:17
    Yeah I loaded up Asylum again, I still suck at the challenges but I'm out of sync with the fighting mechanics so maybe running through on Hard mode and getting the abilities one by one again will make me a better Batman.

I have Ghosts, Modern Warfare 2 and Advanced Warfare CoDs on backlog, I only feel like I'm missing MW3, the Black Ops games always look expensive so it's easy to avoid getting them since I have so much other stuff to play.

I still need to go back and finish Dragon Age II, nearing the end of the game I found a dragon (which is optional but it's Dragon Age so I want to kill it) that kicked my butt so realizing I needed to get some Maker's Sighs and respec my party I decided to play something else and go back to it a couple weeks later. That was nine months ago. I guess once you feel you're out of sync with a game it just becomes easier to put off the more time that goes by. Well at least there's a giant dragon waiting to jack me back into sync when I do pop the CD back in.
    Posted on 21 August 19 at 19:57, Edited on 21 August 19 at 20:12 by FireDrake007
    I have COD 2, 3, 4(MW1), MW2, MW3, WAW, AW, IW, Ghosts, BO1, and BO2 still on my backlog. I am still waiting on a sale for COD1, BO3, and WWII. For some reason Activision doesn't believe in putting their COD games on any substantial sale even if they have been around for years, so I might have to wait to get those.

I am not buying BO4 since it doesn't have a single player campaign. I read that the upcoming COD MW reboot this year is going to be good btw, as many of the original developers of MW have returned to Infinity Ward at Activision to help develop the game, but I probably will wait until it becomes cheaper in a few years.

Dragon Age II and Dragon Age Inquisition Complete editions are also both on my backlog on PC. I bought the Dragon Age II complete dlc bundle late last year at Origin(EA's website on PC) for a substantial discount. Unfortunately this bundle is not available on consoles, where the dlcs are expensive and rarely go on sale, so if you ever get a gaming PC in the future, that is where I recommend to get it.

I am currently interchanging between Arkham City and Dragon Age Origins on Xbox. They are very different games, so it will help me from getting burned out on either since they are such long games, without forgetting the mechanics of each which could happen if you stop playing them for long periods of time.

Before the end of the month I probably need to get 2 achievements on Arkham Knight as well to get 300 MW Reward points as well as 1 achievement each on Gears of War 2, Judgement Day and Gears of War 4 to gain the gilded weapons skin dlc for free for getting 1 achievement each in all the Gears games in the series during their Road to Gears 5 promo.
  • halohogghalohogg120,059
    Posted on 17 September 19 at 14:35
    FireDrake007 said:
    They are very different games, so it will help me from getting burned out on either since they are such long games, without forgetting the mechanics of each which could happen if you stop playing them for long periods of time.
    I forget the controller mechanics on games ALL the TIME. I jump out to play the latest racer from GwG, and by the time I'm ready to go back to my epic adventure game, I've forgotten how to fly. Happened to me on GTAV, Tomb Raider, Red Dead 2, and twice on Arkham City. I have to get some focus and finish these amazing games.
  • CenosisCenosis303,192
    Posted on 18 September 19 at 05:54
    I know what you mean, a problem I have sometimes is I'll be playing a game - an FPS for example - and all of a sudden my instincts for how the buttons are mapped in another FPS will take over and I'll press buttons that do things I wasn't intending and end up doing some dumb stuff. If I stick to the same game for a while it doesn't seem to happen but obviously switching between a lot of games can cause that issue. It's worth it though because even if I'm playing a good game I still might need to take a break from it sometimes to play something else but if the other game happens to be the same genre or style of game then I'm more prone to the mix-up so I try to switch to different types to help prevent it. Makes me feel old when it happens. smile
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads