Game Discussion: R-Type Dimensions

R-Type Dimensions

• keene ohkeene oh251,197
    Posted on 10 January 09 at 11:46
    To all you retro game lovers...

R-Type dimensions is coming to XBLA soon.

It will be a combination of R-Type and R-Type II, includes on & offline co-op.

I for one am looking forward to it.

I still have a photo of my tv from when i clocked R-Type on my Snes.
    if you can read this, you're too close!
  • BLYASTBLYAST1,180,086
    Posted on 11 January 09 at 01:17
    Second to that. Will definitely grab this one. Haven't touched this game in ages. Hopefully I am better at it now than I was back then though =)
  • Posted on 11 January 09 at 06:40
    This is a definite buy for me as well, hope I can muster up some cash. Love the whole retro shooter games, I think they should bring Raiden next.
    ~TA Clan~ You can cut the tension with a +6 Sword!
    Posted on 11 January 09 at 19:57
    Raiden would be cool.

Theres another but i forget the name...

you had to collect orange powerups and for different numbers collected to you got a different powerup.

1 was speed up
    2 was missile
    3 was double
    4 was laser
    5 was option
    6 was shield

if i remember correctly.

it had a follow up called salamander which was 2 player co-op

it was something like uridium but i'm blown if i can remember.

it also had a japanese version which was full of cutesy characters but was very similar.
    if you can read this, you're too close!
  • Posted on 11 January 09 at 21:18
    hmm sounds familiar but I can't think of the name
    ~TA Clan~ You can cut the tension with a +6 Sword!
  • CYCO NOMADCYCO NOMAD147,584
    Posted on 11 January 09 at 23:39
    sounds fun i might pick this one up
    TA Clan - USA Admin - & Site Helper so if you need anything just ask, I will gladly do what I can to help!!
  • newanttnewantt22,898
  • newanttnewantt22,898
    Posted on 28 January 09 at 13:39
    Didn't get released today :( Maybe next week? or not.
    Posted on 30 January 09 at 09:46
    fingers crossed for next week.
    but i'm happy to wait... already have the points set aside lol
    Little and often FTW
  • SkillfulMmdSkillfulMmd283,068
    Posted on 30 January 09 at 15:53
    Im gonna get this for sure i love games like this.
  • newanttnewantt22,898
    Posted on 02 February 09 at 20:43
    Kotaku is reporting that R-Type Dimensions is coming this week for 1200 msp.
    Posted on 02 February 09 at 20:59
    1200msp holy crap thats a lot.
  • newanttnewantt22,898
    Posted on 02 February 09 at 23:32
    There probablly justifying the price since your getting R-type 1 & R-type 2 with added on 3D graphics and all the online works. Meh, 800 msp's would have been better.
    Posted on 03 February 09 at 11:43
    still getting it...
    Braid was 1200 and IMO was not worth it.

R-type. i'd get it for 2000.

(got 4200 cheap from work lol)
    Swearing is punctuation for the spoken language. NOT WRITTEN
    Posted on 03 February 09 at 13:59
    Yeah i don't see the fuss over braid or castle crashers but i did think that puzzle quest was worth it.
  • StingX2StingX2435,267
    Posted on 03 February 09 at 14:48
    R-type for 1200 is a bit ridiculous considering how short and easy they are...
  • newanttnewantt22,898
    Posted on 04 February 09 at 14:15
    Games out now.
  • BLYASTBLYAST1,180,086
    Posted on 04 February 09 at 15:05, Edited on 04 February 09 at 15:07 by BLYAST
    ahhh. Really dissapointed that is 1200 MSP, though it does have R-type I and II. Still I don't think that justifies 1200 MSP. May have to sit this one out :(
    "He who makes a Beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a Man" ~ Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Posted on 04 February 09 at 15:59
    1200MSP is too much, i remember i played R-Type all time before, but not paying 1200MSP for it.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 February 09 at 17:55
    1200 points is really not that much considering the Wii comparison for 1 game at $8. For it being a retro title though it should be 800 points.

I had to pass on it for 2 huge reasons...

The first...

Why in the name of all that is holy did the developers not think of HD in mind when starting this game? I have a huge 42" plasma that I love to have HD games on! Why in this generation are these overhaul titles not HD. "Widescreen" is not even true widescreen it is just blown up and not even upscaled! I have about an inch or so on either side of the screen when in "widescreen" mode. There is no way the overscan is an inch either when not playing in "widescreen". At least other retro 400 point titles throw some sort of background image.

The Second...

Controls...controls...controls...I have a homemade joystick I made from spare cabinet parts. Works wonders with the retro titles compared to the 360's D-Pad. Luckily for me I can map controls fairly easily but if I couldn't and I had say the 360 joystick the controls would be all fubar! No ability to map controls this game was made for a controller with no thought in mind for those who like their retro titles a little more authentic.

I downloaded the demo having a preconceived notion I was playing R-Type...what I got from the demo was lackluster mockery of the R-Type franchise.

For $15 I would rather buy the SNES Super R-Type cart than play this crap.

Oh yea Online co-op...laggier than Contra...pass over this one guys don't waste your points on this...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads