Game Discussion: Dark Void

Dark Void

• Posted on 31 August 09 at 17:31, Edited on 01 September 09 at 03:01 by TheRickMoranis
    I'm needing something new to play. Something new and good. I love my Call of Duty and my Halo, but I think we all get to the point where we would like a change of pace for a bit. My mind needs something new to experience. Today, I watched a ton of videos for Dark Void, and, even though I've heard of this game for a long time now with it's verticality and filght, I never got too excited about it. I think now is the right timing! A new IP by Capcom, music by BSG's Bear McCreary, a really interesting story focusing on single-player and a new way to play with a cover system ... I'm sold right now.

I have my doubts about some things. The environments look really gorgeous, but all the canyon-UFO-fighting-sequences I've seen look to be a bit "unfilled" in the general vicinity; unless the faraway places are reachable and it's a very open world, then I can only imagine it feeling slightly lacking. Although the vertical cover system is new and promising, the 360 degrees of being fired at could be messy, possibly losing track of surrounding enemies (a la the very frustrating Ghostbusters-effect of being killed unexpectedly from behind). And I found myself a bit bored by the flailing limbs of Will EVERY time you start up the jetpack with a burst of speed. You'd think after a while one would get the hang of it, and by the end of the game you kind of want your character to feel like he's finally gotten in control and is a confident hero. Petty perhaps?

Despite those, the game looks pretty polised and well thought out so I have no worries that will keep me from now buying this game. The developer interviews are very good, and again I'm glad they're focusing on a single-player experience, so the story and gameplay should have a lot of TLC.

Here's a link to a lot of videos from IGN: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14211557/vids_1.html
    Jeremiah 29:11, 33:3
  • PizzerzPizzerz11,887
    Posted on 04 September 09 at 11:41
    This game looks ok.

The story is a bit cheesy.

The cover system looks confusing...

I'm not expecting much from DV.
    FOLLOW ME!!!-Twitter.com/FlamingShroom
  • dudecrazy108dudecrazy108444,693
    Posted on 19 September 09 at 16:54
    Yea I think it could be over hyped. Ill at least rent it though.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads