Game Discussion: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

Oddworld, what happened?

• Strategy OneStrategy One706,571
    Posted on 30 January 15 at 04:54
    I just decided to buy the Xbox originals remembering I used to play Oddworld on the PS1 or PS2 (cannot remember which game or system) but I do remember playing the game so I am going to re-live that by playing them again.

I was excited to find out that there was one released for PS4 and comming to Xbox One! But...

After watching some videos of it im quite dissapointed, the game isn't the same, its more of a miniature version (arcade you can say). I don't know what else to call it other then a somewhat 2d platformer, im quite disappointing. Excitement turned to disappointment.

Anyone feel the same way or have already played it on the PS4?
  • NomstuffNomstuff952,028
    Posted on 31 January 15 at 12:21
    The original two Oddworld games Abe's Oddysee and Exodus (PS1) were 2D platformers...
  • Posted on 31 January 15 at 18:08
    The new Oddworld game is an exact copy of Abe's Oddyssey.
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • Strategy OneStrategy One706,571
    Posted on 06 February 15 at 20:31, Edited on 06 February 15 at 20:34 by Strategy One
    What about Munch's Oddyssey? Im mixing them up, so there were 2 different kinds of Oddworld's? Different creators or something. This is the one I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWAVNht3J3Q

Did some more research and found that an HD remake was for the PS3 and PS Vita... How lame, what about X360 or a remake for the One? This ownership or contract stuff is annoying... :/
    Just how good are you?
    Posted on 06 February 15 at 20:39, Edited on 06 February 15 at 20:40 by Nomstuff
    Munchs was 3-D, xbox original and fucking awful.

It was remade for PC too.

They tried to make it for 360.

You can blame MS and their restrictions for it not appearing on that market.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 March 15 at 16:25
    Twinkling82 said:The new Oddworld game is an exact copy of Abe's Oddyssey.The new Oddworld game is NOT an exact copy of Abe's Oddysee, and it's not simply a HD remake like so many people seem to think. It's a brand new title and a re-imagining of the original game.

People are probably right when they assume the game won't be as good or nostalgic, because of a ton of reasons including the update on Abe's voice and other sound effects, the extremely toned down difficult and the redesign on the static to scrolling screen kind of gameplay.

I'm glad that out of all the big game companies of the PS1 era such as Naughty Dog (Crash Bandicoot) and Insomniac (Spyro the Dragon), Oddworld Inhabitants was one of the only companies that didn't sell out Abe despite huge financial strains for the company.

So as a huge fan, it's really cool to see Oddworld back on its feet creating more great content that will hopefully spark enough interest for them to finish the Quintology they planned nearly two decades ago.

Anyway, quit reading this and buy the stinkin' game! warning
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • Posted on 25 March 15 at 16:37
    You could take videos walkthroughs of levels and collectibles of the old game and get 100% in the new game - the differencies are VERY minor.

Difficulty is the same. Control and handling works the same way other than scrolling screen rather than loading every screen, which back then is caused by limitations in hardware.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 March 15 at 17:56
    Twinkling82 said:You could take videos walkthroughs of levels and collectibles of the old game and get 100% in the new game - the differencies are VERY minor.

Difficulty is the same. Control and handling works the same way other than scrolling screen rather than loading every screen, which back then is caused by limitations in hardware.
    Incorrect - Control and Handling have been completely revised making it less of a challenge to complete puzzles and areas. By most this would be viewed as an improvement, but I'd prefer to stick to the old system where you cannot be as precise with the movements. E.g. Inching forward while in the crouching position. I hear from almost everyone that the controls are far more responsive too. You can also, when Abe is running, very easily jump down a pipe due to a change in the control system, making these kinds of sections much, much easier. Oh, also the mapping of the controls is completely different though I hear you can go with a 'Classic' control option.

There IS an original difficulty which is nice, but I highly disapprove of the fact that Abe can now take a few hits from Slig's bullets without dying on the lower difficulties. I see no need for lower difficulties at all, but I suppose that was one of the complaints back when Abe's Oddysee was originally released.

I can't agree on the point about minor differences though, Oddworld Inhabitants have said time and time again that they've had to completely recreate some sections of the game to fit the new scrolling mechanic. They've added in an additional 200 Mudokons to save and due to the 2.5D update, the motion detectors in various puzzles work slightly differently to the original. New voice commands have been added such as the 'All of ya' command that actually first appeared in Abe's Exoddus (1998). Perhaps minor is the wrong word to use, I agree that there are, overall, fairly small differences, hell, they've even added in new cutscenes into the game.

Perhaps you need to spend more time analysing and comparing the original and New 'N' Tasty, I've been a fan of the series since I was very young so differences are plain and easy to see.
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • Posted on 25 March 15 at 18:20
    I loved playing it on PS1. But I don't do well with playing the same games for months, so analyzing every detail is not something I do.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 March 15 at 18:30
    Twinkling82 said:I loved playing it on PS1. But I don't do well with playing the same games for months, so analyzing every detail is not something I do.It is similar, I think you were just a little incorrect with some information, it's no big deal really. Oddworld is my favourite game (Obviously from my Gamertag) so I'm very fussy about details. wave toast
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • Posted on 25 March 15 at 20:00
    Sure thing. I would love for the quadriligy to happen on this gen, however, 2D/2.5D only, pls. I went way beyond avoiding the 3D game in the series.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 March 15 at 20:47
    Twinkling82 said:Sure thing. I would love for the quadriligy to happen on this gen, however, 2D/2.5D only, pls. I went way beyond avoiding the 3D game in the series.Munch's Oddysee wasn't really that great and I'd probably avoid that, even Oddworld admit that the game was rushed in order to ship it out with the original Xbox. Stranger's Wrath is a solid FPS though and is a great spin off to the series, if you get the chance to play that one I'd recommend it!
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • Posted on 25 March 15 at 21:03
    I actually grabbed the game at some point as a plus game, so I have the opportunity to play it - thanks for the recommendation.
  • Posted on 26 March 15 at 12:37
    I concur. Stranger's Wrath will always have a special place in my heart. That was a very solid game. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Rollus Tidus
    Posted on 26 March 15 at 15:16
    Mr Granstaff said:I concur. Stranger's Wrath will always have a special place in my heart. That was a very solid game. I enjoyed it thoroughly.I never played it the first time around, but I'm enjoying its HD version quite a bit
  • Posted on 26 March 15 at 15:49
    Cool! I've only played it on the Original Xbox. There's a HD version?
    Rollus Tidus
    Posted on 26 March 15 at 15:50
    Mr Granstaff said:Cool! I've only played it on the Original Xbox. There's a HD version?Yeah, Munch and Strangers got HD versions on Steam and PS3/V
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads