Site Wishlist

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Checklists for solutions

• Posted on 28 February 15 at 18:56
    When I was collecting cards for hut teams, some sites like huthq have checklists when you can click a box beside a card to indicate you have that card. You can even leave the page and it will remember which ones you had checked.

I am thinking that something similar would be a real bonus to solutions in ta and tt as many achievemts have lists of things you have to do or pickup. For example, I am working on the slime achievement in terraria and think it would be so handy to mark on the page which ones I did. Of course I could have wrote it down, but I think something like this would serve well for a ton of solutions as even solutions when I did brutal legend was referring me to off site checklists of that nature at the time.
  • Posted on 01 March 15 at 10:40
    This sort of begs the question of whether we actually need an in-house solution, considering there are lots of ways solution writers can can provide companion tools already with things like spreadsheets.

I'm personally not particularly convinced that anyone who doesn't currently go out of their way to make these sorts of things already would make use of a provided checklisting/spreadsheeting function either, unless you're suggesting this would be somehow structured/moderated by a panel of people working for TA.
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • Posted on 01 March 15 at 14:40
    Mobius, not sure what you mean by the last part. If a solution sports a checklist with checkboxes and it is incomplete, the solution would get downvotes for it and eventually tell others that it is not a good solution.

I suggested this idea in another thread a year ago:
    Bullet Points

So obviously I am in.

+1
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • Posted on 01 March 15 at 23:12
    Twinkling82 said:Mobius, not sure what you mean by the last part. If a solution sports a checklist with checkboxes and it is incomplete, the solution would get downvotes for it and eventually tell others that it is not a good solution.What I'm referring to is the small number of solutions that currently offer a spreadsheet etc. to keep track of your progress. Given the small number of people who go out of their way to make those already, I'm not convinced that TA providing a checklist/spreadsheet function would increase the number of solutions that have them.

As for the staff structuring or moderating it, that was whether the solution writer or the site as a whole has the checklist, i.e. if TA itself provides the checklist but none of the solution writers are responsible for making one of their own.
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 08:51
    I am thinking of achievements such as AWP in GTA IV and the Awards one in GTA V. It is quite simple to implement checklist code, however more so if it for example sort itself so the marked one's are at the bottom for example. If checklists got implemented, we wouldn't have to link externally.

Not sure why you are even talking about staff doing extra work - they have plenty to do, I am suggesting a simple way of solutionwriters to include checklists like [check] for a checkbox. The site as a whole wouldn't have a checklist at all, way too much maintenance for staff.
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 18:21
    Just like when TA incorporated the symbols for cn_Bcn_Y buttons, or , I bet you will be quite surprised at the amount something like this would be used if it were available, I know I would have used something like that on a couple of my solutions had it been there. Yeah a few people make external spreadsheets etc, but they are quite the pain when you have an ipad like me. It is just another tool that makes things easier for those that want to utilize it.

I am thinking something like what Twinkling said above, which isn't that much different than the buttons or spoiler tags imo, except it would be bonus if it remembered what you checked if you looked at another solution,(maybe a cookie or something, like how it remembers that I logged in already, I am sure Rich could figure out what the best approach is if that is possible)

Here is an example: NHL 15 achievement to collection one player card from each team:
    [check] Anaheim
    [check] Arizona
    [check] Washington

CHL
    [check] Kamloops
    [check] Kelowna
    etc

For the NHL 15 achievement for collect a player from every team in all leagues, I was literally having to write down each team I collected from(and there is a pile of them) to avoid having to go back to my collection each time from the trade marketplace, and wound up buying multiples from some teams. Can you imagine if the solution allowed me to click to say I got a player from each of teams, it would have saved tons of time, and some nhl coins.
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 18:48
    I don't think a cookie would be enough TBH -a lot of us gamers has lots of different devices. Of I mark a checklist from my PC and it saved by cookie, that wouldn't show up on say.. my phone.

IMO it has to be saved to the profile SOMEHOW BUT that requires each checkbox to get a personal/unique ID... and that might be a pain in the ass to code.
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 21:13
    I am sure Rich would figure out what works for him, I would be just be happy with even temporary checkboxes since the first reaction was that going to another site would be preferred.
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 21:32
    Chakaal Starr said:I am sure Rich would figure out what works for him, I would be just be happy with even temporary checkboxes since the first reaction was that going to another site would be preferred.Temporary wouldn't work really. You would have to recheck everything once you go back to the game and not all games keep the stat, and you would have to with your memory. I can not see anything good come off that tbh.

I prefer to stay here, which is why i support this idea (and came up with it back in the day).
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 22:17
    A database solution (i.e. "not temporary" or device independent) could potentially work if we consider someone with a completed game as not needing his data any more, meaning that all of your saved checkboxes for an achievement are deleted once you register unlocking that achievement. Imagine hundreds or thousands of checkboxes per game multiplied by tens of thousands of people and you have a section of the database that is not insignificant being dedicated to this. Cookies are easiest but then someone could end up with hundreds or thousands of those.
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 22:47
    i like this idea but doesnt need to be cookies when you have an account, as long as your logged in it should be saved to your accout (whatever youve ticked off) just the same way other things are...
    i'm already dead, i'll rise to fall again
  • Posted on 02 March 15 at 23:31
    I wasn't thinking of global checklists directly related to achievements, though that isn't a terrible idea. I just meant the solution maker could make a long or small checklist of whatever they wanted to make a checklist for. This could also be carried into blogs if desired. The checklist can be directly related like in my example above in NHL, or even if the solution maker wanted to make a checklist for a complicated step by step process.

Ie.
    [check] Go to the quarry in level 5
    [check] open the door on the orange building and proceed upstairs
    [check] on the desk grab a lockpick
    [check] proceed to the blue building
    [check] use the lockpick above
  • Posted on 03 March 15 at 07:53
    That is what we are talking about, silverstorm and chakal. Not sure what's unclear about it.
  • Epsilon ThetaEpsilon Theta1,042,933
    Posted on 03 March 15 at 12:13, Edited on 03 March 15 at 12:14 by Epsilon Theta
    +1

I see this as a much needed improvement much in the same way that we need the ability to format proper tables.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant1,120,086
    Posted on 03 March 15 at 14:40
    +1.
    He was trying to buy more sand for his hour glass. I wasn't selling any. - Max Payne
  • Skeptical MarioSkeptical Mario1,307,320
    Posted on 03 March 15 at 15:02
    Depending on the achievement, a checklist can be at least as vital as an embedded video. I commonly set up tabs in my achievement spreadsheet to cover different games' requirements, which basically involves copying information from solutions. If the checklists could be embedded in the solutions themselves, it would be so much easier to track!

Not to mention, this would be a great tool for walkthroughs as well.
  • NomstuffNomstuff951,838
    Posted on 03 March 15 at 15:34
    I'd use this. +1

Also, yeah, would be great for WTs too.
  • Strategy OneStrategy One706,966
    Posted on 04 March 15 at 04:45
    +1

Nice idea
    Just how good are you?
  • Posted on 09 July 15 at 14:46, Edited on 12 July 15 at 13:19 by dropK1CK ninJA
    Please use: Checklists for solutions

Thanks!

Oops closed too many threads.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • Information
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads