Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

MLB 2K Series Cancelled

• S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y402,693
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 15:57
    I guess no one cares about baseball. I knew that was true outside the US - but I'm surprised that even the domestic market couldn't continue to support it...
    Category 4D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • TheTraderGuyTheTraderGuy417,527
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:00
    It's not surprising; there'd been almost no changes other than rosters year-to-year. Compare that to how innovative The Show has been. I damn near bought a PS3 just for The Show.
    Completed Retail: 98 Completed Arcade: 29
  • Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:01
    S P 4 C E Y said:
    I guess no one cares about baseball. I knew that was true outside the US - but I'm surprised that even the domestic market couldn't continue to support it...
    It's not that no one cares about baseball, it's that the 2K series has been in a downward (quality) spiral for several years, especially in comparison to Sony's MLB The Show series... or so I hear.
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:07
    Why am I not surprised?
  • Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:13
    S P 4 C E Y said:
    I think it has more to do with the quality of the game series than the lack of popularity for baseball.

i remember reading somewhere recently that baseball pulls in 3/4ths the money of the NFL it's just the TV ratings and such don't reflect that. (because unlike the NFL most people will only watch their team)

Unless some dev is already working on one then it looks like we're going to go a year without a baseball game but in the end I'm hoping the product will be better.

Part of me hopes the evil bastards at EA pick up the series. Could you imagine putting together a Madden Ultimate Team in baseball? I would put Ty Cobb on an all african-american team just to torture him from the grave. clap
  • Tasty PastryTasty Pastry488,306
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:19
    Here's to hoping that someone else picks up the slack here, as baseball games are one of my favorite things about having a console.

Hopefully this works out in the long run as the 2K series was pretty terrible. As others have said in this thread, The Show was one of the main reasons I actually considered switching to a playstation.
  • Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:21
    sirbradenwalker said:
    Part of me hopes the evil bastards at EA pick up the series. Could you imagine putting together a Madden Ultimate Team in baseball? I would put Ty Cobb on an all african-american team just to torture him from the grave. clap
    You mean Baseball Ultimate Team, Like Fifa Ultimate Team.
    DiRT, Grid , Forza , Need for Speed Fan
  • hawk synhawk syn132,216
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:24
    Good I didn't wanna buy another just to have the servers close the next year
  • SiguardiusSiguardius1,972,166
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:31
    NBA 2K. Rated #1 among all ONE basketball related title(s).
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,907,999
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:31
    Here's hoping all of the yearly games go burn in hell like they deserve. Release a new game every couple of years, folks, and make them good.

The only yearly game I can stomach is PGA Tour, and I bought 14 at $15 – and it's rife with bugs again this year (though better than 13 was). Embarrassing money grabs.
  • Das KuhnenDas Kuhnen769,975
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:35
    young tugboatz said:
    sirbradenwalker said:
    You mean Baseball Ultimate Team, Like Fifa Ultimate Team.
    Who wouldn't love grabbing those BUT achievements? laugh

Sad to see them end, but I do dislike each entry I've played a little bit more. If EA nabs a license, I was very fond of the MVP baseball games last gen.
    Deep into that darkness peering.. Long I stood there.. wondering..fearing.. doubting..
  • Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:35
    The problem was the developers 2K handed it too in 2008, Visual Concepts. They killed NHL 2K and now they've killed MLB 2K. They should never had taken control from Kush Games and given it to VC.

Kush games were doing it right and steadily making improvements to the two series, but VC was doing so well with NBA that they figured they could do it with all of their sports titles. It reflected immediately in NHL with the removal of tons of features. Line chemistry, animation for hat tricks, breaking glass, etc. With MLB, they added the trading cards, but the next year they couldn't be bothered to create new ones. All they did was remove retired players and move the traded player cards to their new teams. VC only cared about one title and that was NBA.
  • BrutalGuitarBrutalGuitar2,875,469
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:40
    The problem is that ever since Sega sold off their sports franchises to 2K, they have run every franchise into the ground and inevitably canceled all titles except NBA 2K. NBA 2K is the only series they didn't ruin. In fact it has remained the best basketball series on the market since it's inception. There was a time when NHL 2K got much better reviews than EA's NHL Hockey series but was terrible during the last few years it was made. The baseball series was just downright terrible in recent years. It was decent when it was called World Series baseball and own by Sega.
  • Cer3bra1AsassinCer3bra1Asassin1,280,965
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:41
    Maybe they will be nice and make the show muti platform now toast
    [url=http://www.trueachievements.com/Cer3bra1Asassin.htm][img]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerc
  • Posted on 07 January 14 at 16:42
    Bring back All Star baseball!!
  • wbswbs992,687
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 17:07
    The Globalizer said:
    Here's hoping all of the yearly games go burn in hell like they deserve. Release a new game every couple of years, folks, and make them good.

The only yearly game I can stomach is PGA Tour, and I bought 14 at $15 – and it's rife with bugs again this year (though better than 13 was). Embarrassing money grabs.
    Agreed they should all burn. I usually end up picking them up to get a few achievements when they end up in Gamestops $1-$3 rack of shame. Also I have a few friends that come over and like to play some of them roll
  • matdanmatdan862,905
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 17:11
    Serves them right for region locking it no cares were given on this day. Should be a lesson to annual sport title spam. Sometimes taking a step back is better for business.

Also congrats on Criterion for breaking off from EA let us see if they make Burnout again now they have destroyed NFS more so then the last dozen games did.
  • NanNan265,958
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 17:24
    S P 4 C E Y said:
    Exactly. Except for the few hundred million fans of the game around the world dipshit. This series just sucked, It was a rehashed game every year. I bought a PS3 JUST for MLB The Show because it is a Sony exclusive and I know many people with Xboxs that bought Playstations for that very reason.

My PS3 card has only 3 games on it and there all the yearly versions of MLB The Show.

And I wonder why if no one cared about the sport outside of the US it is the biggest sport by far in Japan, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela among others. Hmmm....
  • WestsideSxEWestsideSxE504,975
    Posted on 07 January 14 at 17:31
    Iceberg082006 said:
    Bring back All Star baseball!!
    oh please god no haha
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads