Game Discussion: State of Decay

How to unlock Shark Hoodie avatar award.

• Wimp Lo 69Wimp Lo 69409,475
    Posted on 10 June 13 at 21:49, Edited on 10 June 13 at 21:52 by Wimp Lo 69
    After much trial and error I figured this out. The description for unlocking this avatar award is kind of misleading. I spent a few hours looking for someone from another enclave to bring home and train, like the way you can train a survivor in your own group from time to time. Apparently that is not how it's done. Here is what I did.

On my second playthrough, I took very good care of Marcus. I had lost him early the first time. I played with him almost exclusively, switching to Maya only for military missions or to let Marcus recover from a serious injury. I mention this because of the Leadership skill. I am not certain of this, but I suspect it is important.

Once I was settled in at the church, I made sure to build a training area and upgrade it to Dojo as soon as I could. Fairly soon after my Dojo upgrade was complete, I got a tip message suggesting a "temporary upgrade" to the Dojo. This upgrade lasts 24 hours (real time) and trains other enclaves. It also pays 3 ammo stacks. Turns out I didn't have to wait all 24 hours. After midnight had passed (again, in real time). I went back to my game and as soon as I loaded my save I got the avatar award. I checked my buildings, and sure enough that temporary upgrade had completed it's cycle. I also checked my progress log and saw a message confirming payment of 3 ammo stacks for training other enclaves.

Back to the Marcus thing. This part I am not sure of, but as I was working on this project I maxed out the Leadership skill with Marcus. It may be that a certain level of leadership is required with the character you are playing to get the Dojo training upgrade option. The icons associated with this in the building menu and character menu seem to suggest this. Of course it would be nice if you could look at this menu without time passing, missions expiring, and survivors getting sad (boo-hoo mofo, I'm doing all the work!). But all that pressure does lend to the feeling of a real apocalypse and makes the sweat flow, making this game a truly unique experience.

Also, if you want proof (or just want to see what it looks like before you make the effort) my avatar on Live is currently wearing the elusive Shark Hoodie.

Hope this helps someone. Enjoy the zombie slaughter.
    I'm bleeding, making me the victor!
  • FiatimFiatim1,124,408
    Posted on 12 June 13 at 14:41
    I myself had issues unlocking this. I had a dojo for a day or two real time and the option to train in the dojo didn't unlock until I had started training an enclave in shooting on my guard tower first..
    Murphy was an optimist. There is no idea that can't be ruined by a few well placed idiots.
  • Posted on 14 June 13 at 11:46
    See I didn't even see the Dojo on my first play through. When I was playing my second time through I looked for it exclusively. I built it and I kept waiting for a tip to pop up like it did for another training session with people from another camp. This time I was helping everyone and bringing them to the church. I didn't upgrade anything and I really didn't look for resources. Don't even get me started on giving up looking for ammo with rah-tards like Ed going crazy shooting up a place wasting 6 cases of ammo to "blow off some steam". Needless to say I took him out with Marcus to help "make him stop crying like a bitch" and found a horde, pissed off the horde, and let them eat him. I enjoyed every second of it but back to the point. Finally after a good five hours I went to my building management portion and I looked under the options like upgrade and such and it had a special thing to "train enclave". So yeah, no warning, no nothing. just found it by blind luck.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 June 13 at 11:22, Edited on 16 June 13 at 12:12 by
    Fantastic guide! I can confirm i have Marcus leadership maxed, built the shooting platform and upgraded to dojo. After i got the note saying i could train another enclave at the dojo, it begins a 24 hr countdown.... which appears to be about half real time as i turned off around midnight last night, resumed around 10am and have around 3 or 4 hours to go according to the game. Thanks for the guide toast
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads