Game Discussion: Dark Souls (GFWL)

Crashing on Startup

• Dante KasaiDante Kasai236,785
    Posted on 30 July 15 at 15:48
    I've recently bought this game on disc brand new, and have tried to play it with no avail. With the latest version of every auxiliary program the game could possibly use, it never fails to crash on startup. I've whittled it down to the GFWL update - the disc is unopened from 2012, and whenever the game updates itself from within the menu it begins to crash right afterward. Plays perfectly fine without the update. Is there a way I can get the update to not kill my game? Can I use my current Xbox profile to unlock the achievements offline? Kinda at a loss here.
  • ForceOfWillForceOfWill475,366
    Posted on 09 August 15 at 22:45
    I feel you Dante. I lost my install, so I've been looking for another. And I can't tell if it's the install I found, or the game itself. Have you figured anything out? I started this game a while back, so it's on my card, and I want to work on it badly.
  • SanguiniusRSanguiniusR103,074
    Posted on 12 August 15 at 14:27
    Same here, the moment you login in the online profile and patch it, it starts to crash. Tried it on a retail and a pirated version (but with my legitimate code). Batman Arkham Asylum GFWL retail version works just fine, so it's gotta be DS problem. Also, after the patch I noticed that steam_api.dll file appears in the folder, so maybe this Steamworks patch somehow got into the GFWL service O_o.

If someone else will check this issue and it persists, maybe it's time to make achievements unobtainable like for WH 40k: DoW 2 =\
  • Posted on 31 August 15 at 05:16
    SanguiniusR said:Same here, the moment you login in the online profile and patch it, it starts to crash. Tried it on a retail and a pirated version (but with my legitimate code). Batman Arkham Asylum GFWL retail version works just fine, so it's gotta be DS problem. Also, after the patch I noticed that steam_api.dll file appears in the folder, so maybe this Steamworks patch somehow got into the GFWL service O_o.

If someone else will check this issue and it persists, maybe it's time to make achievements unobtainable like for WH 40k: DoW 2 =\
    Well, you can still get the achievements while playing without the update, so they're still obtainable. Then just sync the achievements by launching another GFWL game and signing in online.
  • JayD101JayD1011,664,770
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 06:36
    You can play offline and get the achievements to update by running another GFWL game to connect online. I've just been doing this but so far one of the achievements isn't getting picked up. I'm sure it will wort itself out but just so you know.
    JayD101
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads