Game Discussion: LEGO Dimensions

Curious what I would need to buy to unlock all achievements

• SashamorningSashamorning2,886,145
    Posted on 16 August 16 at 04:00, Edited on 16 August 16 at 04:01 by Sashamorning
    CanadianWhizKid said:
    ^ Awesome, thanks! I might just snag some of the dics for a few bucks each and go that route. Altho I do actually want the Chell minifig! laugh
    Chell can also be used to finish the Simpsons DLC.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. Always carry [popcorn].
  • MaesenkoMaesenko332,874
    Posted on 17 August 16 at 01:15
    Just to sate my curiosity, since I am planning on setting this up for a stack, do I need the full Starter Set twice (One and 360, like with Disney Infinity), or can I buy one Starter Set and pick up the other system's game disc?
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."
  • angelskangelsk1,428,401
    Posted on 17 August 16 at 06:45
    Maesenko said:
    Just to sate my curiosity, since I am planning on setting this up for a stack, do I need the full Starter Set twice (One and 360, like with Disney Infinity), or can I buy one Starter Set and pick up the other system's game disc?
    You need two starter packs. The portals are not cross compatible.
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42840,890
    Posted on 17 August 16 at 17:48
    angelsk said:
    Maesenko said:
    You need two starter packs. The portals are not cross compatible.
    Yes. It's an unfortunate Xbox rule that peripherals can't work between platforms. There's only one toy pad for PS3, PS4, and WiiU, but Microsoft forces separate pads for 360 and One. The situation is the same with Disney Infinity. It makes no sense to me.

On the positive side, the toy tags for Batman, Gandalf, Wyldstyle, and blank vehicle are platform agnostic. So if you can find a cheap toy pad and disc on eBay, you'd be OK. I see that Gamestop is selling used discs, but not the toy pads. Maybe they will eventually, like they do with Disney Infinity bases.
  • MaesenkoMaesenko332,874
    Posted on 31 August 16 at 01:16
    Good news on this front. GameStop had a sale this week, I got both starter sets for $90 total. Not the best I've ever seen, but now I can at least get started. Level packs are probably coming from Walmart, we seem to always have something on sale there by me.
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."
  • KillersquirelzKillersquirelz2,282,164
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 20:14
    Alright, so I'm very confused and can't seem to find the answer on these forums. I'm trying really hard to find out exactly what I need to buy so I can get all the achievements in the game. I don't really care about getting all the gold bricks everywhere, all I care about is getting all the achievements, which all seem to be based on the level packs, and are all the same three achievements: Complete the Level with meeting the stud requirement, and getting a single mini kit within them.

If my only goal is to get all the DLC achievements related to the game, do I really need to buy all these fun packs? I don't quite understand if this thread is for getting all the gold bricks everywhere, or just getting all the achievements. I've already done the base game with the single starter pack. If this thread is just listing all the people required to get all the achievements, it doesn't quite make sense to me why additional fun pack characters are needed if only one minikit is required per dlc.

Could someone help clarify?
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,886,145
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 22:15
    Not Fun Packs, just Level Packs. Look at the DLC list on the sidebar on the game page. Those are the ones you need.

You don't need the individual o ES, but you need all of the level packs. Those run $10-50 each... for 50 GS apiece.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. * I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 22:34
    ^^ Correct, except the $50 versions are called Story Packs (GB 2016, Fantastic Beasts, Lego Batman Movie). Sorry if that's pedantic; I'm just trying to dispel any confusion.

I do recall that the Simpsons Level Pack can't be finished with just the Starter plus Simpsons because none of the minikits are obtainable with just those figures. However, buying all the other Level Packs should solve the problem.

Be warned that the Doctor Who and Back to the Future Level Packs have been retired, so stock may one day run out. On the other hand, 50% sales come up every so often, so you may want to wait. If you just want to buy the Toy Tags, you might be able to get them on BrickLink.
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 13:40
    MathGuy42 said:
    ^^ Correct, except the $50 versions are called Story Packs (GB 2016, Fantastic Beasts, Lego Batman Movie). Sorry if that's pedantic; I'm just trying to dispel any confusion.

I do recall that the Simpsons Level Pack can't be finished with just the Starter plus Simpsons because none of the minikits are obtainable with just those figures. However, buying all the other Level Packs should solve the problem.

Be warned that the Doctor Who and Back to the Future Level Packs have been retired, so stock may one day run out. On the other hand, 50% sales come up every so often, so you may want to wait. If you just want to buy the Toy Tags, you might be able to get them on BrickLink.
    Thanks for the reference to Bricklink! I'm likely going to wait for a 50% sale, but if my guess is correct, getting the story packs might be much easier this way. I'm trying to get a good sense of "What I really need to buy" if I'm only buying the toy tags instead of the full thing. I don't really care about the actual building sets, so if I can just buy the game discs that'd make it much easier. So I'm looking at the contents of all of these story packs, like Fantastic Beasts. Could I get away with just having the main person, Newt? There's a website that shows the figurine contents for the story packs, and there's Newt, but there's also this Niffler that has Dig (And an upgraded version for lasers that can be gotten from a different fun pack person). I'm just wondering if it's possible to just buy the main person, and use other characters for the other abilities, or if it's going to absolutely require you to get the Niffler one as well. Any ideas?
  • angelskangelsk1,428,401
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 14:02
    I think you have to save the vehicles to a toy tag. So as long as you have one you can overwrite I think you should be ok
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 15:24
    That's correct. All the Vehicles and Gadgets are written to blank tags. It's only the minifig characters that have their own, pre-written, unchangeable tags. The Niffler is unique in that while it does get written to a blank tag, it behaves as an independent character. Everything else has to be driven or picked up.

There are a few places in the Portal Level Pack that need both the turret and the Weighted Companion Cube simultaneously, so you'll need at least 2 blank tags. But I suggest getting a few more so you're not constantly rewriting tags. I'd say 10 would do it. Having a permanent Tardis, DeLorean, and Companion Cube can be useful for optional exploration and puzzle solving.

And you will need to write the Niffler to a tag. Each Story Pack and Level Pack have a place where you can't progress until you "build" the vehicle and write it to a "blank" tag. I put blank in quotes since you can write over any vehicle tag. While Year 1 vehicle tags are blue and Year 2 vehicle tags are yellow, AFAIK they are exactly the same internally.
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 17:26
    I see what you mean in Portal 2, just finished that one last night. I've bought most of the level packs since those are usually easy to get for a relatively cheap price compared to the story ones, so I've amassed a collection of different abilities. The 'blank' tags are fairly cheap, so I should be able to get those easily enough.

I'm going to give it a shot buying just the main figurine for the story packs and trying to use the other already bought characters to bypass buying the whole thing. If it works, it can cut down the price of a story pack from 35 dollars down to just 5, which can be much more accessible for people to get the dlc pack achievements. I'll report back on how successful it is so this thread can have more information.
  • M0j0s d0j0M0j0s d0j047,347
    Posted on 17 September 17 at 11:58
    Starter pack
    I would recommend wicked witch as she can destroy silver this will be enough to get the base 1000gs.
    Then to get every single achievement related to dlc obviously you would need to buy just the level packs and story packs.
    As I haven't played it for a while you may also need cragger fun pack for underwater.
  • Kapt SuolisolmuKapt Suolisolmu1,086,678
    Posted on 06 March 18 at 10:11
    For 1000/1000gs you`ll need Game aka Starter Pack (Base game)
    For 1975/1975gs Youl need all Story and level packs (DLC):

Level packs:
    - The Simpsons Level Pack
    - Portal Level Pack
    - Back to the Future Level Pack
    - Doctor Who Level Pack
    - Ghostbusters Level Pack
    - Midway Retro Gamer Level Pack
    - Adventure Time Level Pack
    - Mission: Impossible Level Pack
    - Sonic the Hedgehog Level Pack
    - The Goonies Level Pack

Story packs:
    * The LEGO Batman Movie Story Pack
    * Ghostbusters Story Pack
    * Fantastic Beasts Story Pack

Game has been cancelled so these will be the last ones you'll need.
  • ClawColyerClawColyer490,152
    Posted on 18 March 18 at 23:12
    Been getting my level packs and story packs on eBay, some of them are dirty cheap! 😁
  • Kapt SuolisolmuKapt Suolisolmu1,086,678
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:45
    Yeah. I also bought almost all of them from sales
  • napoearthnapoearth894,961
    Posted on 29 September 18 at 11:51
    ClawColyer said:
    Been getting my level packs and story packs on eBay, some of them are dirty cheap! 😁
    Use bricklink.com as MathGuy42 says to buy toy tags, unless you really want the full packages and minifigs. The prices are better than anything on eBay. They probably even have better prices for the full packs.
    Posted on 26 October 18 at 21:52, Edited on 26 October 18 at 22:02 by napoearth
    Damn this stupid game. I wanted to 100% it and I thought I had every ability covered, but I just ran into the need to use a mini-access hatch and boomerang switch underwater. Only one characters can do that, golem and if I still want to 100% I'm going to have to buy a character for one freaking brick.
    Posted on 27 October 18 at 17:45
    napoearth said:
    Damn this stupid game. I wanted to 100% it and I thought I had every ability covered, but I just ran into the need to use a mini-access hatch and boomerang switch underwater. Only one characters can do that, golem and if I still want to 100% I'm going to have to buy a character for one freaking brick.
    Where is this Gold Brick? It's been a long time since I played this, but maybe knowing more will jog my memory.

There were a few underwater bricks you could cheat by putting a lot of characters on the pad. Sometimes one would warp inside an area that they weren't supposed to be in.

Or what happens if you use the hatch, then put a boomerang character on the pad? Wonder Woman can go underwater, as I recall. I used her for some underwater boomerangs.

The one underwater brick I definitely remember is one in the Chima World. It was surrounded by ghosts and only Slimer could be underwater and get past ghosts. At least that was the case during Year One.
    Posted on 27 October 18 at 21:26
    It's in Lord of the Rings world. None of my boomerang characters can dive, so they would die immediately. I also just found another location in the Chima world that will require me to buy Slimer. It is underwater and has ghosts in front of it. This under water stuff is bullshit. I had bought the minimum toy tags to cover every ability and at least one per adventure world, and now I'm finding shit that requires special abilities to be used under water.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads