Game Discussion: Dark Souls III

What level were you after beating the game first time?

• Posted on 26 April 16 at 21:31
    I'm just curious what level everyone was after beating the game. So far, I've only had time to play after work, so I've been pretty tired, but still want to make some progress in a small way at least. I haven't even fought or attempted to find vordt of the boreal valley yet, but I'm level 59 with full lorthic and a katana and a broadsword. I have enough stamina to not fat roll with them as well. I'll probably get some time and energy to put in the effort to find vordt on my day off on Sunday, but I'll probably just grind a few more levels with the time I have.

Also, where is the best place to grind souls? Taking roughly 18 minutes and climbing per level now. My place at the second bonfire is okay, but I'm starting to feel it's becoming quite slow for where I currently am in the game. I can currently take quite a beating as well, unless I get staggered and swarmed of course.

I do enjoy the grind quite a bit. I wanna try and hit about level 450 before I start my next game. I don't mind if it's gonna take a few hundred hours.
  • AwooAwoo2,197,913
    Posted on 26 April 16 at 21:43
    That's ridiculous... I was probably like 80 or something at the end of my first playthrough, and that was after doing all the optional stuff. The only grinding you should ever do in these games is if you're after specific items (lots of that in this game). Grinding for levels is just pointless and takes all the fun out of the game.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • Living LegendsLiving Legends1,117,524
    Posted on 26 April 16 at 22:37, Edited on 26 April 16 at 22:47 by Living Legends
    Beig max level does not make your character better. I wear no clothing while playing souls to fast roll.
  • Posted on 27 April 16 at 03:24
    Akatsuki Seven said:Beig max level does not make your character better. I wear no clothing while playing souls to fast roll.I've heard that anything under 70 is fast roll and anything under like 35 just lengthens the roll but not the I frames.
  • IsThisDustinIsThisDustin163,012
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 04:36
    Eventually you'll get to the damage cap and and you'll do the same damage as someone who's 200 levels below you. I mean I guess if you want to be the master of weapons and magic go for it.
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 04:39
    ParticleDuality said:Akatsuki Seven said:Beig max level does not make your character better. I wear no clothing while playing souls to fast roll.I've heard that anything under 70 is fast roll and anything under like 35 just lengthens the roll but not the I frames.Nah, as long as your weight is 25℅ or less than your total weight you can fast roll. I have been fast rolling since I started the game.
  • AwooAwoo2,197,913
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 05:12, Edited on 27 April 16 at 05:40 by Awoo
    Akatsuki Seven said:ParticleDuality said:Akatsuki Seven said:Beig max level does not make your character better. I wear no clothing while playing souls to fast roll.I've heard that anything under 70 is fast roll and anything under like 35 just lengthens the roll but not the I frames.Nah, as long as your weight is 25℅ or less than your total weight you can fast roll. I have been fast rolling since I started the game.Fastrolling in DS3 (<25% weight) gives you ONE i-frame more than the midroll. 13 instead of 12. Not worth it in the slightest. Midroll is where it's at since the animation is no longer slower than fastrolling.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • Posted on 27 April 16 at 06:46
    I just wanna have a versatile character. I wouldn't say levelling does nothing by a long shot! 2-4 hits from a lothric knight and I got killed right after I got there. Now, my guy can withstand 8-16 hits from a lothric knight. Gonna go get 3 more points in vitality and perhaps 3 more in strength. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle too much more low level grinding after, but the next area, I'll hit level 100.

Levelling up in rpgs is basically what got me liking the genre (was wanting to get all perks in fo4 too... But that's really become not very fun at all since I can punch a behemoth to death with little to no damage taken and the level gaps are getting painful.

I'll probably not go for the max level, I'll probably stop after each attribute makes little to no difference.
  • Posted on 27 April 16 at 06:52
    But I think if people who are saying the game is impossible, which they are in you read reviews, maybe this approach can change people's minds if they can sacrifice the time. There's way too many people avoiding souls games because of the difficulty. I don't think everyone will like this approach, but you never know. Getting the serpent ring at the beginning also makes grinding quite fast up until level 60. The extra estus flask can come in handy too.
  • War NumenWar Numen482,067
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 08:41, Edited on 27 April 16 at 12:15 by War Numen
    Character level in Dark Souls 3 really couldn't actually be any more misleading to new players. Its not a character level in the typical sense of RPGs. It is literally your attribute point counter, that's it. Leveling up will only give you more room for errors. In dark souls, skill and knowledge of how to play the game trumps character stats, as people have said keeping your weight below the 70% threshold will help you loads. You will never out-level the game. Everything has fair opportunities to kill you, should you give it to them. Co-op is what makes the game much easier and enjoyable for people who don't enjoy the difficulty of the game.

Having a character build to aim for helps too.
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Dark souls is fair most of the time. If you blame the game you'll never learn from your mistakes, if you blame yourself you'll get better at the game.
  • ViperDonzViperDonz901,699
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 09:01
    I did everything except the nameless King and was about level 90ish, then grinded a few levels for a bit more stamina so I could tank his attacks lol, found this game relatively easy except for him! Then came the covenant items! Ended up really high trying to get those to drop with all the souls I was getting, did jolly co op in the end lol, defeated 25 bosses with others and ended up with over a million souls! Now on NG+ and souls r super easy to come by! I actually don't know how to spend them anymore lol, got my stats where I want them.
  • Zedymieon77Zedymieon77333,444
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 10:11
    Every boss was defeated for me when I was level 70. Did all my covenant farming save Darkmoon items and got as many spells and rings I could get. Hit level 80 and bought all the armor sets available through the Shrine Handmaiden before going into NG+.

Leveled up through all the souls I got from bosses and soul items I picked up in NG+ and NG++.

Then I started farming Darkmoon items in NG++ and ended up going from 130 to 175 just out of souls I got without soul boosting, trying to get luck higher so it wouldnt be as painful..
    XSEED owns my soul.
  • Posted on 27 April 16 at 14:59
    Yeah, there's a build guide I looked up before I bought the game. Vitality and luck still raise properly until 99, vigor gets bad after 27 and everything else gets worse levelling past 40. Levelling past the soft caps isn't really worth it.

I definitely wouldn't say there's no point in levels at all. Before I fought the first boss, I fought the crystal lizard and got destroyed. I went back with the same equipment and everything and stood there like a tank. He was hardly taking any health away at all.

As for going online, I can't unless I'm downloading another game or dlc. Only times I ever got online was when downloading the spotlight sales. I'm planning on being done with all the base game achievements by the time they can figure their servers out, but due to their technical problems, I view this as a single player only game. Even if I'm downloading, I'll still lose connection within a maximum of 25 minutes. So yeah, it doesn't even matter if I have an average level, because there's no chance I'll last on the server to make any kind of progress. It's a one player game as far as I'm concerned.
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 16:00
    RazorPriest said:Akatsuki Seven said:ParticleDuality said:Akatsuki Seven said:Beig max level does not make your character better. I wear no clothing while playing souls to fast roll.I've heard that anything under 70 is fast roll and anything under like 35 just lengthens the roll but not the I frames.Nah, as long as your weight is 25℅ or less than your total weight you can fast roll. I have been fast rolling since I started the game.Fastrolling in DS3 (<25% weight) gives you ONE i-frame more than the midroll. 13 instead of 12. Not worth it in the slightest. Midroll is where it's at since the animation is no longer slower than fastrolling.Wow, did not even try to mid roll but knowing this I'll attached some clothing to my deprived character. I have always been used to fast rolling for the purpose of dodging. It's really useful in the other souls game especially the LC version where my computer sucked at times
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 April 16 at 16:32, Edited on 28 April 16 at 01:14 by
    I am level 190 but still in NG, because I farmed covenant items with soul boosting equipment on, and I did 30 coop sections against Nameless King.

Vigor 50
    Attunement 10
    Endurance 40
    Vitality 50
    Strength 50
    Dexterity 50
    Intelligence 12
    Faith 10
    Luck 7

I now start to invest points into Intellience for some long range attacks
  • Posted on 27 April 16 at 16:52
    That's ultimately what I wanna do. I started as a Knight, but I wanna get all my stats to 50 before going to ng+ with the best potential gear I can have for different play styles.
  • Posted on 27 April 16 at 16:54
    I have the season pass too, I'm hoping the dlcs will come out before I beat the game... If not, I'm gonna start ds1 before completing the game.
  • IsThisDustinIsThisDustin163,012
    Posted on 28 April 16 at 00:16
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:I have the season pass too, I'm hoping the dlcs will come out before I beat the game... If not, I'm gonna start ds1 before completing the game.You have a good bit if time. The first dlc won't be till end of the year and the second is early next year.
  • Posted on 28 April 16 at 06:31
    I'm almost satisfied with my character as for now. 1 more point in vigor and 3 more in vitality and good to progress. That'll take me to level 67 I believe. Currently level 63 and it's almost beginning to get a little counter productive. The next grinding spot is just a little further down the road at 900 souls approximately per minute - will take me to about level 200. Might take about 40ish to 50 hours, but that's okay.

As for how long I've been grinding, it's 18 hours of gathering souls since the tutorial.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 April 16 at 06:57
    very nice im at 114 and im trying to beat the prince duo
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads