Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Hero Shooters and You - The Birth of a Genre

• EurydaceEurydace652,737
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 12:56
    I would love to get Heros of the Storm on the ONE but I doubt that will happen.
  • kintariskintaris333,760
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 13:16
    Interesting stuff! It's not a genre that's high on my list of priorities but it's damn useful to know what all these acronyms and sub-genres actually mean laugh
    TA Newshound | @kintaris | Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 13:33
    Can't wait for overwatch, really wish lawbreakers would come to xbox, I might get battleborn aswell, I'll prob buy all the ones that come to xbox lol
    Ive started enjoying multiplayer more as ive got older
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 15:07
    Should have used a picture of Tracer for the article.
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 15:10
    I really really almost did laugh
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus407,308
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 16:13
    I really don't see this as a new genre at all. Everything that I've played and seen so far just looks and feels like AAA MOBAs.

I am getting Battleborn so it's not like I dislike this "new genre" but I just didn't feel anything "new" about it. I'll see if my opinions on this change after tuesday.

Very well done article though. I'll have to give it another read over after work.
  • Rista BRista B906,741
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 16:24
    It'll be interesting to see how they do but unlikely that I'll be playing any of these games as they seem to be all multiplayer games.
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 16:28
    Postmortimus said:I really don't see this as a new genre at all. Everything that I've played and seen so far just looks and feels like AAA MOBAs.

I am getting Battleborn so it's not like I dislike this "new genre" but I just didn't feel anything "new" about it. I'll see if my opinions on this change after tuesday.

Very well done article though. I'll have to give it another read over after work.
    Overwatch isn't a MOBA though!
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 16:45
    Postmortimus said:I really don't see this as a new genre at all. Everything that I've played and seen so far just looks and feels like AAA MOBAs.

The MOBA genre is very different from most of these games. Battleborn has a MOBA game mode, but it's within the game that is a hero shooter at its core.
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 17:02
    Rainbow Six Siege, certainly feels like a first person shooter version of these 'hero shooters'. In the sense that you have characters to select with fixed ability sets, and armaments. To a similar degree, I guess Blops III fits that as well, but I have less experience with that title, as the Beta was my only foray into it's universe.
    Second Amendment; No changes needed. Molon Labe. [URL="http://divisionid.com/agent/crimzon-nutcase-id28302259.html"][IMG]http://divisionid.com/c/xl/28
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 17:18
    Crimzon Nutcase said:Rainbow Six Siege, certainly feels like a first person shooter version of these 'hero shooters'. In the sense that you have characters to select with fixed ability sets, and armaments. To a similar degree, I guess Blops III fits that as well, but I have less experience with that title, as the Beta was my only foray into it's universe.Those are class shooters like TF2. Every class has one purpose and they all play similarly in general.

In a hero shooter you have many different characters for each role type, which means you have a lot of variety in playstyles for each role based on which character you pick.
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty1,075,907
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 18:35
    I think I will pass. They sound a bit shit to me
  • The SCHWARTZ 00The SCHWARTZ 001,174,967
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 19:21
    the rise of MOBAs and hero shooters will almost certainly usher in the death of single player campaign, story-based games in the near future. The numbers dont lie; people want to play these types of games. Thats why I cherish games like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Gears Of War, Shadow Of Mordor, etc...they could definitely be the last of a dying breed. Devs are all going to want to jump on the bandwagon to get a piece of that LoL/Smite pie. Change is in the air, friends. And I'm not entirely sure I like it.
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 19:27
    The SCHWARTZ 00 said:the rise of MOBAs and hero shooters will almost certainly usher in the death of single player campaign, story-based games in the near future. The numbers dont lie; people want to play these types of games. Thats why I cherish games like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Gears Of War, Shadow Of Mordor, etc...they could definitely be the last of a dying breed. Devs are all going to want to jump on the bandwagon to get a piece of that LoL/Smite pie. Change is in the air, friends. And I'm not entirely sure I like it.Single player campaign games are dying? I don't think so. It's not like these are replacing any games, it's just a new genre. There are tons of people who dislike competitive multiplayer games or don't like multiplayer in general. I just looked at a list of all the games coming to just the Xbox in the future, 2016-2017, and there are tons of single player campaign games.
  • The SCHWARTZ 00The SCHWARTZ 001,174,967
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 19:30
    For now, yes. If these MOBA/hero shooter games continue to take off and make a ton of money, within a year or two you may see very few single player games as devs will look to save money by not creating compelling stories and just throw everyone in an arena to fight so you can "create your own story".
  • Goggs25Goggs252,046,979
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 19:45
    MOBA'S are crap and always will be
    Goggs25
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 19:50
    [The SCHWARTZ 00 said:For now, yes. If these MOBA/hero shooter games continue to take off and make a ton of money, within a year or two you may see very few single player games as devs will look to save money by not creating compelling stories and just throw everyone in an arena to fight so you can "create your own story".I highly doubt that considering franchises will be a thing for a long time. Companies see the value in things like Witcher 3, which did extremely well. Games without stories have existed for a long time, and these versions are way better than what we've had before.
  • Posted on 01 May 16 at 20:02
    This might be the genre I've been waiting for all my life. I'm a big fan of shooters, and I'm a big fan of team games with a lot of character variety and radically different intermixed play styles. Hero Shooters hit both marks.

One of my absolute favorite games from the last few years is Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, which was a Hero Shooter before the term became so prevalent. You could also put Evolve in that genre (in its own asymmetrical way), though its lasting power was severely impacted by terrible servers and inconsistent matchmaking (had it not regularly taken 15-20 minutes to find/start a match, only to get the last pick on your preference list, then get booted back to the main menu halfway through the match, I might still be playing it).

These were rare examples in the overall industry though, and I craved more, so I am in full support of this sudden surge in popularity. I have high hopes for Overwatch and Battleborn. One for when I want to just jump in and go nuts, and one for when I want character building/progression and to have the option for PvE when PvP has gotten too frustratingwink

In fact, writing this is just another in a long, sad string of activities I've designed to both facilitate the accelerated passage of time, and to distract myself from the mountain of minutes obstructing my path between now and the start of Overwatch's early access beta on Tuesday! clap
  • PurdsPurds1,411,666
    Posted on 01 May 16 at 20:03
    I'm super excited for this genre and for the moba genre to make this much of a showing on consoles. Used to play league if legends religiously.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads