Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Dex Presents a Console Launch Trailer

• EurydaceEurydace652,588
  • JCDRANZERJCDRANZER1,337,908
    Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:09
    Looks more like a mobile game rather than a game for consoles.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm652,865
    Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:11
    Thanks--this looks great!
    Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:11
    I think it looks pretty good actually. Not like mobile, but maybe like SNES. I think that's what they were going for.
  • Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:13
    Not interested, looks like something that should be on the mega drive, lol
    Cloud
    Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:19
    Don't mind the retro look. I've played a number of 2D scrolling RPGs like Princess Crown. I'd like to see more Cyberpunk games. Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Projekt RED is my most anticipated game for the X1.
  • JDFurbzJDFurbz1,076,643
    Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:20
    Looks great...reminds of the old 16 bit shadowrun games.
  • Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:20
    once again this current generation of " children" base everything on graphics. i guess you guys think legend of zelda back in the day on snes was " crap"
    budah
  • Posted on 09 May 16 at 23:59
    morphable freak said:once again this current generation of " children" base everything on graphics. i guess you guys think legend of zelda back in the day on snes was " crap"That's every generation. In the SNES days it was all about the bit-wars
  • Posted on 10 May 16 at 00:25
    Looks cool!
  • Swinny CostelloSwinny Costello1,258,501
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 01:01
    Halfblind Cloud said:Not interested, looks like something that should be on the mega drive, lolYou clearly haven't seen a Mega Drive game in a while. This game features much higher graphic fidelity than a 16-bit title. It also looks like a blast.
  • Wicked JeiWicked Jei915,041
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 02:16
    Interesting premise and I love cyberpunk, but I hate sidescrollers...
  • Posted on 10 May 16 at 03:34
    morphable freak said:once again this current generation of " children" base everything on graphics. i guess you guys think legend of zelda back in the day on snes was " crap"
    It has nothing to do with youth. I've been gaming since the Colecovision in the 80's and have always wished for better graphics. I've gotten my wish all through Xbox 360.

I have fond memories of numerous games, like Spy Hunter on Coleco, Top Gun on NES, Goldeneye on N64, Gran Turismo on PlayStation, SOCOM on PS2, KotOR on Xbox, etc. While they were all fun, I can't stand to see those obsolete graphics anymore.

I really don't understand the popularity of Minecraft and all the other games on Xbox One with seriously outdated graphics.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 May 16 at 08:09
    This is not an RPG.
    What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
  • A BAD SNIP3RA BAD SNIP3R260,036 260,036 GamerScore
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 14:23
    looks interesting but rpg seems iffy
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 14:55
    The developer says that it is. Just curious - why do you think it is not?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 May 16 at 02:36
    Allgorhythm said:Blue n Gold Eel said:This is not an RPG.The developer says it is:

http://en.dreadlocks.cz/games/dex/?age-verified=774f090172
    I don't care what the dev says. Did you watch the vid? the game is dabbling in all sorts of genres, but it looks like a side scrolling beat'em up to me. Just because it may use small elements from RPG's doesn't make it an RPG.

Because if it did we would have to call GTA a driving game because you can drive cars in it, or Borderlands an RPG instead of a FPS just because you can upgrade your stuff.

If you believe it to be an RPG then more power to you, but for me RPG's are games like Final Fantasy or WRPG's like the Witcher 3, and those games are nothing like this game.
    What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
    Posted on 11 May 16 at 03:28, Edited on 11 May 16 at 03:29 by Allgorhythm
    Blue n Gold Eel said:Allgorhythm said:Blue n Gold Eel said:This is not an RPG.The developer says it is:

http://en.dreadlocks.cz/games/dex/?age-verified=774f090172
    I don't care what the dev says. Did you watch the vid? the game is dabbling in all sorts of genres, but it looks like a side scrolling beat'em up to me. Just because it may use small elements from RPG's doesn't make it an RPG.

Because if it did we would have to call GTA a driving game because you can drive cars in it, or Borderlands an RPG instead of a FPS just because you can upgrade your stuff.

If you believe it to be an RPG then more power to you, but for me RPG's are games like Final Fantasy or WRPG's like the Witcher 3, and those games are nothing like this game.
    This is a Kickstarter project that I supported. Accordingly, I received updates that esplained why Dex is an RPG. Essentially, you choose a role--a fundamentall feature of any role playing game. As you progress, you earn experience that can be used to evolve and level up the role that you are trying to refine.

There are at least six different roles/vocations/specializatiions you can select and develop. I have played numerous scrolling beat 'em ups and quite a few scrolling RPGs. Dex has much more in common with 2D side-scrolling RPGs like Ys III, Princess Crown, Blue Breaker, etc. than with 2D side-scrolling beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, Final Fight, etc.

The bottom line is Dex is a retro 2D scrolling RPG with modern, polished production values.
  • Posted on 12 May 16 at 00:01
    I will say that devs and gamers BOTH use the term RPG a bit loosely these days... as an RPG fan, it makes it harder to find the games that I enjoy. I played Dust and I'd call that a 2D RPG, but NOT an RPG. It has that "2D" caveat... which will NEVER put it on the same plain as FF or Dragon Age (JRPGs or WRPGs).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads