Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

E3 2016: Gwent Could Be The Next Big Competitive Game

• pommer299pommer299350,164
  • TheGearGuardianTheGearGuardian1,076,225
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 15:32, Edited on 29 June 16 at 15:35 by TheGearGuardian
    take my money now and signed up for the beta ^^
  • JanenzkiJanenzki838,854
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 16:54
    This particular minigame was one of the best features in the Witcher 3. Cant wait for this to be released !
    "The birth of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame"
  • Eric From CaliEric From Cali1,542,795
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 17:07
    Glad to see you guys followed up on my news tip about the closed beta, but you took a step further and posted a good hands-on article. Very well-written, Marc!
    Twitter: EricDC
  • EurydaceEurydace653,122
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 17:19
    Great preview. Really looking forward to this.
  • kintariskintaris333,759
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 18:11
    I'm... intrigued. I'm signed up for the beta as well.
    Sam Quirke | @kintaris | TA Newshound
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo415,360
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 18:36
    Eric From Cali said:Glad to see you guys followed up on my news tip about the closed beta, but you took a step further and posted a good hands-on article. Very well-written, Marc!Marc was at E3 in person and has been posting some great previews for the games he got to try out, and if I'm not mistaken there are more on the way!

E3 2016: Agents of Mayhem's Wacky and Colorful World
  • LordDante360LordDante360545,459
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 19:01
    Really looking forward to this, just wish Hearthstone would come to console.
    Twitch Feed http://www.twitch.tv/lorddante360 check it out....
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash570,840
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 20:14
    I mean, as excellent as Witcher was, at times it was nothing but a Gwent emulator... "Contracts? Intrigues? Cirilla? Get outta my way, where's the next innkeep??"
  • ianroper1ianroper1883,258
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 20:47
    looking forward to this
    ian
  • Posted on 29 June 16 at 21:21
    I'm also looking forward to it and I signed up for the beta, but I doubt the game will ever reach the appeal of Magic: the Gathering. In The Witcher, I quickly hit a point where, once I had found most of my hero cards, along with a good number of spys, I could use my deck (Northern Realms) to defeat every opponent easily. Even the new faction in Blood and Wine had no impact on my deck or strategy.

I hope the adjustments to the rules and the cardpool will bring more of a rock-paper-scisor dynamic to the metagame; otherwise, barring any difficulty in obtaining certain cards (will need to see how they implement rarity, for example), players will quickly identify "the" best deck and that will be it for the competitive aspect (at least for constructed formats; I guess they could also implement some sort of draft/limited format).

As for the single-player campaign, the description in the article makes it sound quite similar to the old Microprose MTG game (Shandalar). Should be fun.
  • The AllslayerThe Allslayer1,436,289
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 22:53
    FrancoisLaroche said:I'm also looking forward to it and I signed up for the beta, but I doubt the game will ever reach the appeal of Magic: the Gathering. In The Witcher, I quickly hit a point where, once I had found most of my hero cards, along with a good number of spys, I could use my deck (Northern Realms) to defeat every opponent easily. Even the new faction in Blood and Wine had no impact on my deck or strategy.

I hope the adjustments to the rules and the cardpool will bring more of a rock-paper-scisor dynamic to the metagame; otherwise, barring any difficulty in obtaining certain cards (will need to see how they implement rarity, for example), players will quickly identify "the" best deck and that will be it for the competitive aspect (at least for constructed formats; I guess they could also implement some sort of draft/limited format).

As for the single-player campaign, the description in the article makes it sound quite similar to the old Microprose MTG game (Shandalar). Should be fun.

I've been watching vids on it and all the decks look like they'll be good. Alot has changed, spies are nerfed for starters and theres loads more depth to it now.
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic578,822
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 23:36
    You can get official physical decks of gwent cards. They come with boxed (in the loosest sense, it's a download code) PS4 copies of the Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine expansions. I think they weren't released in that format for anything other than the PS4 though. Each of the expansions comes with 2 decks.
  • REJECt444REJECt4441,043,384
    Posted on 29 June 16 at 23:48
    Never played Witcher but I am buying this.
  • CenoByte81CenoByte8190,697
    Posted on 30 June 16 at 04:49
    When i roam arround in the witcher trying to find new gwent players and earn new cards, it reminds me of days where i played MtG: Shandalar ( a 1997 game). To date still the best installment for the MtG game. Looks like this game will have lots of simularities, really looking forward.
  • Ereaser NLEreaser NL500,785
    Posted on 30 June 16 at 10:04
    I'm so damn excited for this.
    Really looking forward to what changes they've made and the campaigns (which I didn't even know about until now) :)
    I hope Gwent competitive will become a real thing, it's so much fun smile
  • JimbotUKJimbotUK3,714,612
    Posted on 30 June 16 at 20:03
    So hyped for this game! Gwent is life.
  • C64 MatC64 Mat1,949,938
    Posted on 01 July 16 at 08:22
    Yeah, and Fable 2: Pub Games was the last big thing...
    ~~~Vae Victis!~~~
  • Posted on 03 July 16 at 08:09
    Ready!!!
    LET'S GO__CAVS__EAGLES__BUCKEYES__CAPITALS
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 04 July 16 at 07:40
    x Mataeus x said:
    Yeah, and Fable 2: Pub Games was the last big thing...
    No one asked for Fable pub games though laugh
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads