The Original Off Topic Board

Chat about anything you like!

Store it or get a new controller?

• BacavoitBacavoit492,347
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 05:42
    Hey guys!

I bought the Xbox One Forza 6 edition back in november and I just started to feel that the controller left thumbstick rubber is wearing off.

I always think in the resale value of every device I buy so this is kinda worrying me now.

I've been looking for thumbsticks replacements on Amazon but then I need to open the controller and buy a T8 screwdriver if the one I own doesnt fit at all (not long enough). This would be the cheaper way for around $17USD

So the other option is to buy a normal controller (black) and destroy the crap out of it. They are around ($45-$55USD) in my country.

Maybe it sounds logical that the cheaper way is the way to go, I don't know lol. What would you guys do?
  • MsrossMsross1,234,697
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 08:00
    the T8 can then be used in future.
  • GMNGMN492,600
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 09:13
    i'm more shocked the T8 and thumbstick comes to $17...
  • Posted on 06 July 16 at 13:24, Edited on 06 July 16 at 13:24 by CassiopeiaGames
    You can just put a thumbstick grip on it and save it that way. That's what I did with my PS4 controller. My nails was too hard for the rubber.

I went on linio (noticed you're located in mexico) but the prices are ridiculous for some reason. If shipping from us isn't big of a problem go amazon or kontrolfreek for some grips.
    gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 14:21, Edited on 06 July 16 at 14:30 by Bacavoit
    Thanks for taking replying smile

Well thumbsticks are almost $6USD plus $4 for shippping. The T8 screwdrivers on Amazon most of them wont ship to Mexico plus is kinda cheaper to buy on the local eBay (MercadoLibre) and that is another $7 USD ($2 for a T6+T8 and $5 for shipping)

I went to Linio and didn't find the KontrolFreeks but found cheaper ones made of silicone, the thing is, they seem to be sending from China because it says they will be arriving on September 6 haha

So then I can buy these for $10 and they will be delivered by monday.
    link hidden

This way is cheaper and without needing to open the controller.

I also forgot to add to the original post that my controller is actually rubbing really hard on the side of the "holes" and it is carving into the stick. Sometimes it feels really weird when moving from the right-left to the top right-left. It leaves some white plastic dust on it. Have to clean every week. Anyone suffering from this?

Pics:
    link hidden
  • Posted on 06 July 16 at 15:27
    I noticed linio had the torx screw driver by the way, should you need it another time. And no that shouldn't happen, I would consider talking directly to microsoft about a replacement. Seems weird it should be that worn.
    gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 18:25, Edited on 06 July 16 at 18:25 by Bacavoit
    I already tweet the Xbox, XboxMexico and XboxSupport about it. I tried the warranty replacement on the Microsoft website and my ID controller wasn't found.

I kinda scalated it to the main Xbox Twitter in case something goes wrong, like receiving a black controller instead.

If I don't get a reply by the end of the day I'll try the Microsoft hotline and speak with them directly.

Thanks!
  • Posted on 06 July 16 at 20:00, Edited on 06 July 16 at 20:03 by CassiopeiaGames
    I would have called instantly. Twitter supporters can't help you anyway, they don't have access to the backend like the people can when you call. Maybe their chat can help, but make sure it isn't an ambassador you're talking to, so ask about it.

Ambassadors are just users like you and me, however since I wasn't active I lost my ambassador status a while ago.
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 21:26
    Oh I see, the XboxSupport sent me to the chat anyway. Im just gonna give it a try.

Thanks for the Ambassador info.
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 21:46
    Bah, they said that accesories have 90 days of warranty.

So back to the main post... New sticks or new controller =/
  • MsrossMsross1,234,697
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 22:12, Edited on 06 July 16 at 22:13 by Msross
    Given your now at Route A or Route B.. which both lead to Route C.. are you wanting others to make that decision for you?

Take that responsibility for yourself. grow a pair.

It seems like your the sort that will break whatever you have; so pick something that you have to take responsibility for... that way. you wont have to bitch about it to other people..
    Posted on 06 July 16 at 22:19
    Huh?

Im just asking for suggestions. Like why a person would take A or B. Im the one deciding in the end.

Maybe instead of telling others to grow a pair have some sympathy first.
  • Posted on 08 July 16 at 09:44, Edited on 08 July 16 at 09:50 by I8ITackyticsI8I
    Msross said:Given your now at Route A or Route B.. which both lead to Route C.. are you wanting others to make that decision for you?

Take that responsibility for yourself. grow a pair.

It seems like your the sort that will break whatever you have; so pick something that you have to take responsibility for... that way. you wont have to bitch about it to other people..
    Yes because there was any need for that. Is a person not entitled to ask for people's opinions on a forum? Jeez.

Anyway, onto an actually potentially useful opinion..

I would personally not look at it in terms of 'resale value'. If you use your console, it's bound to get wear and tear - just enjoy it for what it is. It's very unfortunate about your controller but in the absence of a current valid warranty I would recommend just getting a new one and using that instead or going the screwdriver method if you desperately want to repair that controller.

My brother's controller broke very quickly - the d pad is no good. Unfortunately the controller was stashed away for months before use so he is also in a position with an expired warranty for a product he's barely used..

EDIT: Also thought i'd mention I'm not sure that the forza 6 controller thumbsticks are necessarily the same as all other xbox one controllers.
  • GMNGMN492,600
    Posted on 09 July 16 at 08:26
    Bacavoit said:Huh?

Im just asking for suggestions. Like why a person would take A or B. Im the one deciding in the end.

Maybe instead of telling others to grow a pair have some sympathy first.
    If i was playing with my money i'd go for a new controller, you're almost a quarter of the way there trying to preserve it.

The thumbstick issue is going to get worse on your controller I have 3 broken one's where the LS is loose and producing the white powder due to rubbing ( I play racing games a lot and the controller doesn't like those tight corners)
    Posted on 23 July 16 at 16:22
    Sorry for the late reply, was out of town.

Your comments were helpful! I'm gonna go buy a new controller. They are cheap right now on Sam's Club.

Thanks guys!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads