Game Discussion: Far Cry Primal

Far Cry Primal Multi-Genre Discussion

• Information
    Posted on 31 July 16 at 18:57
    Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
  • Information
    Posted on 28 April 17 at 04:45
    Our Afflictions has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    There are literally no guns in this. You seldomly shoot your bow or throw a spear, but it's a melee based game.

I suggest removing FPS.
  • matdanmatdan862,919
    Posted on 06 May 17 at 09:05
    Agreed.
  • Flames80Flames801,610,288
    Posted on 10 May 17 at 08:45, Edited on 10 May 17 at 09:07 by Flames80
    I do agree that this Game is more melee based than Shooting... but the whole FPS aspect is debatable.

Do First/third Persom Games were Players are ablo to use Bow & Arrow or Magic in First Person / Third Person count as Shooters? (FPS / TPS) That's a Topic i'm quite curious about..

I mean what are Guns? Portable Weapons that Launch Deadly projectiles at your Targets... same goes for Bows the only diffence is that Bows are not as Technological Advanced but even to this Day many People still use them for Hunting & Sport.. and Magic well that's just Fantasy but in most Games you still AIM & SHoot in First /third person View and you do Launch Deadly Projectiles at your Enemy too!( i know this Game has no Magic but other First Person Games do).. so if magic doesn't count because it's Fantasy.. why should Laser Blaster count? They are Science Fiction which is the opposite of Fantasy...

So do games only quailfy as Shooters if there are Guns in it? DO Paintball Marker count? if they do why shouldn't Bow & Arrow or Magic count as well?
  • AckterAckter336,570
    Posted on 10 May 17 at 09:22
    FPS should have been named FPV in the first place but, as shooters were the main aspect at the time, it became FPS.

I don't see a problem in describing Far Cry Primal as an FPS.
  • AckterAckter336,570
    Posted on 10 May 17 at 09:23
    Incidentally, the bow was my main weapon throughout the entire game.
  • matdanmatdan862,919
    Posted on 10 May 17 at 09:50
    Ackter said:
    FPS should have been named FPV in the first place but, as shooters were the main aspect at the time, it became FPS.

Except there are no guns and bow/arrow are not part of the shooter category for obvious reasons.
    Posted on 10 May 17 at 14:43, Edited on 10 May 17 at 14:43 by Flames80
    matdan said:
    Ackter said:

Except there are no guns and bow/arrow are not part of the shooter category for obvious reasons.
    So Archery doesn't count as shooting because you're not shooting a gun?
  • matdanmatdan862,919
    Posted on 10 May 17 at 15:10
    Sabin VI said:
    matdan said:
    Ackter said:

Yep.
  • Posted on 10 May 17 at 16:26, Edited on 10 May 17 at 16:27 by Our Afflictions
    matdan said:
    Sabin VI said:
    matdan said:
    Ackter said:

Yep.
    I agree.

If this gets FPS, should Skyrim and other first person RPGs or other games with this same basic combat get it as well?

Obvious answer is no.
  • Tao LogosTao Logos905,266
    Posted on 11 May 17 at 01:53, Edited on 11 May 17 at 02:14 by Tao Logos
    People shoot arrows all the time.
    Posted on 11 May 17 at 04:35, Edited on 11 May 17 at 04:36 by Flames80
    Our Afflictions said:
    matdan said:
    Sabin VI said:
    matdan said:
    Ackter said:

Yep.
    I agree.

If this gets FPS, should Skyrim and other first person RPGs or other games with this same basic combat get it as well?

Obvious answer is no.
    So you Guys are telling me that Games like Hexen & Heretic that are well known and considered Classic First Person Shooters are no Shooters because you're shooting Bows , Crossbows and Magic instead of Guns?? Give me a Break...
  • matdanmatdan862,919
    Posted on 11 May 17 at 07:26
    You are correct, not shooters. We are getting somewhere now.
  • Zonrith1Zonrith1671,257
    Posted on 11 May 17 at 14:35
    Sorry, I have to disagree regarding bows not qualifying for Shooter. TA site definition is:
    First Person Shooters test the player’s marksmanship abilities and use a perspective where the player is looking out from the protagonists eyes.

Bows clearly test marksmanship abilities. Our definition does not mandate the weapon be a firearm.

So, the question for me is whether or not there's enough of that element in this game. Having recently played through this, I disagree with the original submitter's claim that the bow and (thrown) spear are seldom used. In my experience, I did indeed rarely throw spears, but the bow was definitely my main weapon.

Bottom-line, you can play almost this entire game using marksmanship weapons. It is designed to allow you to do this. You are not forced to go melee for the vast majority of the game. My recommendation as such will be to keep the FPS tag as an accurate genre mechanic per the terms of this site's definition of the genre.
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
  • FFX BrotherhoodFFX Brotherhood1,570,951
    Posted on 11 May 17 at 18:49, Edited on 11 May 17 at 18:52 by FFX Brotherhood
    I agree with Zonrith1. Nowhere does TA state that a firearm has to be used for the game to be considered a First person shooter.

"First Person Shooters test the player’s marksmanship abilities and use a perspective where the player is looking out from the protagonists eyes"

It fits that definition perfectly.

In regards to the post about Skyrim, Skyrim can be beaten solely using a melee build with relatively no issue. I'm pretty sure there are sections such as the boss fights for example where combat outside the melee range is necessary.
    I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
  • Posted on 11 May 17 at 19:59, Edited on 11 May 17 at 20:01 by Our Afflictions
    This entire game can be done in melee, and usually is. For boss fights you can just throw your spears instead of using the now, the bow is very underwhelming compared to the rest of the weapons. Kinda like Skyrim.

The rest of the series is obviously FPS, but this game about cavemen certainly is not the same as the rest of the series.

And if you think throwing a spear qualified for FPS we have bigger issues to discuss.
  • Posted on 11 May 17 at 21:40
    Is it significantly different from the rest of the series or is it more or less the same gameplay in a caveman setting? If it's the latter, I'd have a hard time being convinced that it belongs in a different genre simply because the setting precludes actual firearms.
  • Posted on 11 May 17 at 22:20
    It is significantly different.
  • FFX BrotherhoodFFX Brotherhood1,570,951
    Posted on 11 May 17 at 23:41, Edited on 11 May 17 at 23:42 by FFX Brotherhood
    It's a similar game. You still have the skill trees which you need to unlock skill points by doing next to anything. Still has "Outposts" to liberate except now they;re bonfires. Still have side missions, hunting, crafting, etc etc.

The only real difference is you have more melee weapons than any of the previous games. A club, a Spear, a Bow, Some throwing knife type things, some "Bombs" like fire and bee things going on.

Our Afflictions said:
    This entire game can be done in melee, and usually is. For boss fights you can just throw your spears instead of using the now, the bow is very underwhelming compared to the rest of the weapons. Kinda like Skyrim.

The rest of the series is obviously FPS, but this game about cavemen certainly is not the same as the rest of the series.

And if you think throwing a spear qualified for FPS we have bigger issues to discuss.
    The bow is very much not Underwhelming. The ability to take out enemies from a far, silently, with lots of ammo, and that ammo is easily crafted anyway in bulk. I used the bow through I'd say 75-80% of my kills on that game. Rarely ever the club and only ever using the Spear when I wanted to throw some into a big mammoth or Saber cat.

I also never said throwing a spear qualified as FPS.

The mechanics are the same as other Far Cry games, a lot of the animations are re-used from FC4.

EDIT: It is literally just another Far Cry game, like 3 and 4, just set in a Primal age, with less emphasis on guns and vehicles, and more on taming creatures to ride and assist you, and obviously less guns so more melee weapons had to be thrown into the mix; of which if I remember right there's 2, a spear and a club.
    I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
  • Posted on 12 May 17 at 00:29
    To frame the question differently, if the bow in this game were replaced with a pistol and everything else about it stayed exactly the same as it is now, would you still be of the opinion that it doesn't belong in the FPS genre?

For example, Mirror's Edge is played entirely in the first person perspective and you can steal guns from enemies and use them on other enemies. If you wanted to, you could play it like a FPS. But that's not enough to qualify it for the genre because genres aren't meant to be lists of gameplay elements that are present. It's a higher-level classification than that. A genre seeks to answer "what type of game is this?" rather than "what types of activities will I be doing in this game?"

And that distinction goes both ways. Just as the presence of both the first person perspective and guns are not enough to qualify Mirror's Edge as a FPS, the absence of guns from a game is not enough to disqualify it. The question we need to answer here is whether this game is actually of a different type than others in the series. If it's not, the FPS genre should still apply despite the lack of guns.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads