Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Console Racing Comes Of Age

• Nexus GruntNexus Grunt162,207
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 13:22
    Some say it's realistic enough to make a certain TV presenter sick

Please click here to read the story: Console Racing Comes Of Age
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,134
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 13:36
    Thank you for a very good article. Certainly agree that console racing has advanced phenomenally and that players have the interfaces to make it seem as realistic as possible. I think the next step is to come up with a console version of iRacing. I realize there are a lot of impediments to overcome. However, if and when iRacing comes to the X1, that is when Console Racing will truly Come Of Age.
  • GuttapunkGuttapunk1,906,414
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 13:37
    See, this is why I want a return to just balls-out fun that hasn't been seen since Burnout: Revenge.

Realism is all well and dandy, I mean, I'm a huge fan of Forza and DiRT Rally, but it's gotten to the point where the market is over-saturated and I'm sick of running the same five laps on Sebring or a massive open world that fantastic to explore but forgettable in the end.

I hope the new racing title from ex-Burnout devs embrace what I just asked for because at this point, realism has overstayed its welcome.
    D o g m A.
  • Posted on 20 August 16 at 14:38
    We want PGR 5
    We want Forza 1 - X1
    We want Sega GT - X1
    We want Toca Tour Car - X1
    We want Crash Bandicoot Team Racing - X360 & X1
    We want Halo Kart 64
    We want Gears Of War: Double Dash

None of these will exist in these terms. Oh well. Must re-read this.
  • Posted on 20 August 16 at 14:45
    Riyte said:
    See, this is why I want a return to just balls-out fun that hasn't been seen since Burnout: Revenge.

Realism is all well and dandy, I mean, I'm a huge fan of Forza and DiRT Rally, but it's gotten to the point where the market is over-saturated and I'm sick of running the same five laps on Sebring or a massive open world that fantastic to explore but forgettable in the end.

I hope the new racing title from ex-Burnout devs embrace what I just asked for because at this point, realism has overstayed its welcome.
    God I miss Revenge so much, nothing has ever been as exhilarating as hunting on Red team in Road Rage; Dancing through the smallest of gaps, powersliding through two buses in 4 lanes of oncoming traffic, every split second demanding your attention to navigate as you track closer and closer to that last Blue car. Adrenaline pumping as you hurtle through the oncoming traffic at over 200mph just in time to burst across, your nose connecting so satisfyingly with the back wheel arch of the Blue car sending him smashing into the barrier to win the game.

I still think about that game all the time, it still gives me goosebumps to think about :D Paradise killed it for me, too much navigation. Fingers crossed they'll bring Revenge and Takedown over as BC at some point in time!
  • Posted on 20 August 16 at 14:52
    Ah that was the other one we we're talking about the other day...

Road Rash

Would love to see Moto Racer 2 as well but looking forward for Moto Racer 4 anyway.
  • GuttapunkGuttapunk1,906,414
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 15:40
    MonkeyCMonkyDo said:
    Riyte said:

God I miss Revenge so much, nothing has ever been as exhilarating as hunting on Red team in Road Rage; Dancing through the smallest of gaps, powersliding through two buses in 4 lanes of oncoming traffic, every split second demanding your attention to navigate as you track closer and closer to that last Blue car. Adrenaline pumping as you hurtle through the oncoming traffic at over 200mph just in time to burst across, your nose connecting so satisfyingly with the back wheel arch of the Blue car sending him smashing into the barrier to win the game.

I still think about that game all the time, it still gives me goosebumps to think about :D Paradise killed it for me, too much navigation. Fingers crossed they'll bring Revenge and Takedown over as BC at some point in time!
    I'm begging for Revenge to be BC but since it's EA, it's probably gunna be a looooooooooooooooooooooong time

And from what I remember, Paradise had a lot of dead air inbetween the main events which killed pacing.
    D o g m A.
  • supadryzsupadryz732,704
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 16:15
    All we need is Forza 3, 4 & Horizon added to backward compatible. We also need Project Gotham Racing 5
  • Lucky BrianLucky Brian369,747
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 16:31
    You can never have too many simulation racing games. So far I have played 12 games on my Xbox One, and 9 of them were simulation racing games shock
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,570,103
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 16:34
    Console racing came of age and reached its peak with Mario Kart 64, don't be ridiculous.
  • Posted on 20 August 16 at 17:23, Edited on 20 August 16 at 17:38 by Shadow 00 Fox
    I looked at the first picture and screamed(mentally) YES!!, then looked at the next picture of those 3 and screamed NO!! Then looked at the 3rd picture and screamed YES!!

Two of my favorite games.... TDU and (what I thought at first was Test Drive 6 from PC) NFS Most Wanted!!
    Now I'll go back and continue reading.. compute

Mistake in the article here:
    Titles like Forza Horizon and The Crew build on the open worlds previously introduced through Test Drive Unlimited and Burnout Paradise.
    NFS Most Wanted (2005) was almost a year earlier... also possibly my favorite game. clap
  • IdleEnigmaIdleEnigma502,653
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 17:45
    BulgyDragonZord said:
    We want PGR 5
    We want Forza 1 - X1
    We want Sega GT - X1
    We want Toca Tour Car - X1
    We want Crash Bandicoot Team Racing - X360 & X1
    We want Halo Kart 64
    We want Gears Of War: Double Dash

None of these will exist in these terms. Oh well. Must re-read this.
    Loved the TOCA Touring games! Definitely need something like that again.
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 17:49
    xPut Name Herex said:
    Console racing came of age and reached its peak with Mario Kart 64, don't be ridiculous.
    I hope this is tongue in cheek. Although a good game, Mario Kart 64 was just the PS One Wipeout with a Mario skin. The game is considered part of the Wipeout series and even uses many of the same tracks as the original Wipeout. Although it was the third game in the Wipeout series, it was not as good as Wipeout 2097 for the PS2. On the Nintendo 64, itself, although Psygnosis's Wipeout Mario Kart 64 was a good game, as a futuristic racing game it was not as good as Nintendo's own F-Zero X.
  • KylKoKylKo1,875,575
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 18:44
    Great article! For me personally, track simulators like the base Forza games and F1 titles get boring quick with all the repetition. I'm a big fan of open world games like Horizon and NFS Rivals, but even those aren't my favorites. F-Zero GX, Motorstorm, and Pure top my list so I guess I'm part of the not-so-real crew.
  • Posted on 20 August 16 at 19:03
    Allgorhythm said:
    xPut Name Herex said:
    I hope this is tongue in cheek. Although a good game, Mario Kart 64 was just the PS One Wipeout with a Mario skin. The game is considered part of the Wipeout series and even uses many of the same tracks as the original Wipeout. Although it was the third game in the Wipeout series, it was not as good as Wipeout 2097 for the PS2. On the Nintendo 64, itself, although Psygnosis's Wipeout Mario Kart 64 was a good game, as a futuristic racing game it was not as good as Nintendo's own F-Zero X.
    I disagree, it's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever.
  • RADtech2448RADtech2448483,720
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 19:30
    ScrotoBaggins22 said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    xPut Name Herex said:
    I disagree, it's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever.
    Donkey Kong sucks!

P.S. Just kidding, I love Donkey Kong! But love the Billy Madison reference!
  • HaukkisHaukkis680,465
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 22:08
    WipeOut 2097 was a PS1 game, not a PS2 game. Anyway, best of the series and best futuristic racer that I've ever played.
  • HaukkisHaukkis680,465
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 22:13
    Rally games need serious AAA title, WRC and Dirt-series are quite fun to play but they are just OK, not great or classic. We need RalliSport Challenge 3.
    Posted on 20 August 16 at 22:55
    Haukkis said:
    WipeOut 2097 was a PS1 game, not a PS2 game. Anyway, best of the series and best futuristic racer that I've ever played.
    You're right--I stand corrected. The point though, that you agree with, is that the second game of the series--2097--was better than the third game in the series--Mario Kart 64.
  • Posted on 20 August 16 at 23:06
    VR should be the next big step in terms of immersion for racing simulation games. It shouldvtake the whole genre to another new level.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads