Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Gears of War 4 Review

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 October 16 at 12:46, Edited on 06 October 16 at 13:11 by
    Excellent review. Balanced, constructive and insightful.

TA should make Rebecca senior reviewer, if she isn't already.

She's "The Boss".
    How do I live? How do I breathe? When you're not here I'm suffocating. I wanna feel love run through my blood. Tell me is this where I give it all up?
  • BalnazzardBalnazzard198,623
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 13:09, Edited on 06 October 16 at 13:11 by Balnazzard
    Well you can never please everyone in the audience...when you play it too safe, it may feel like the franchise is becoming too stale and boring...if you change it too much, that will piss off many in the core audience.

Personally I think that its GOOD thing that developers try to find new things to make the franchise feel fresh instead of just doing the same thing over and over again, just with better graphics. For example with Halo 3, I felt bit disappointed cause the game didnt feel as fresh as Halo 2 did, but more of the same with little tweaks...then again most ppl seem to be pissed off when 343 tried to change the game, especially the multiplayer. Personally I havent tried Halo 4, but did recently play Halo 5: Forge on PC and I think it felt fresh enough and familiar enough at the same time.
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 13:32
    o Narcistic said:
    The game is not out yet facepalm why make a review? Makes no sense to me to.
    The game is available to play from today with the special edition.

Also, the embargo for reviews on GOW4 lifted at 8AM BST this morning and every website with a review copy has released a review of the game.
    www.youtube.com/user/DerangedAsylum Cool Horror gaming videos! come check it out!!!
  • LLboxedLLboxed306,851
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 13:38
    Nice review, Rebecca!

Surprisingly critical and thorough, prepare to catch some flak from some GoW fanboys.

IMO 'playing it safe' is actually a GOOD thing for this time around. Judgement tried some new stuff and it didn't work out very well.

If this is more of a 'back to the roots' kind of thing then it will open the franchise up to new audiences while at the same time appealing to long time vets. A possible Gears of War 5 could then mix things up again a little more.

Read some early reviews from germany, Gamestar giving it a 90/100, another site giving it a 9.0/10 as well. Better than expected!

Can't wait to pick up the lancer again! clap
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 13:46
    Guys, is it available for download & play?
    for those who pre-ordered LIMITED EDITION ?

I see that 250 people on TA played this game today
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4594,255
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 13:47
    I didn't read the review yet because I don't want to know anything about this game yet, but reading the summary it seems in line with what I felt about the preview they showed at E3. I've been trying to keep my expectations low for this so I can enjoy it and not be disappointed. As long as it's better than Judgment I'm good
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4594,255
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 13:48
    WarIsComingHome said:
    Guys, is it available for download & play?
    for those who pre-ordered LIMITED EDITION ?

I see that 250 people on TA played this game today
    Special people have it now, Ultimate Edition can be played tomorrow
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 14:24
    Good review kind of what I expected. It makes sense for the coalition to play it safe because of judgement. On the other hand after painting themselves into a corner with the ending of 3, it's going to be hard to come up with anything that is going to make sense.
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 14:44
    Great review! However, it doesn't make much sense to list "overly familiar enemies" as a negative. Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Halo, Street Fighter, and many other franchises re-introduce the same enemies time and time again & fans love it.
  • dlCHIEF58dlCHIEF58528,613
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 14:46
    o Narcistic said:
    The game is not out yet facepalm why make a review? Makes no sense to me to.
    Purchasers of the Ultimate edition can play early.
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 14:56
    I'm still behind, gave up on GOW1 due to the stupid AI, started GOW2 and got pretty far and it was much better. So still have to do GOW3, and I guess Judgement being a Prequel it really wouldn't be necessary to play. Depending hos UHH goes I might have time to finish the other two over a couple weekends and then maybe GOW4 will be on sale.
  • liner bronsonliner bronson1,129,036
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 15:01
    2 player co-op only??? cry
    Ranged humanist, melee misanthrope
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 16:32
    Can yu say ring dance
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 16:42
    Awesome review! Can't wait for my Gears console to arrive tomorrow! smile
    Walkthrough Supervisor and Site Help Editor here on TA | Moderator and Newshound on TSA
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 16:48
    You can play insane with two controllers. Have dummy controller be on casual than your main on insane. You don't need to find co-op partner.
  • NBA KirklandNBA Kirkland2,070,785
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 16:50
    TheGreatKoala said:
    Hyv3rinia said:
    i cant believe that people ACTUALLY expect gow's not to have grinding achievements.
    TBH I would expect every game to have at least a couple. There would be no replay value for some games without them.
    I don't think anyone would expect a GOW without grindy achievement. GOW invented the seriously grindy achievement.

Do you really get much value from replaying a game simply for a couple of achievements? It's a lazy game that does that. Should we go back to the days where achievement difficulties don't stack? That was sure fun.
    @NBAKirkland
  • ShinnizleShinnizle2,100,646
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 17:07
    TheGreatKoala said:
    Hyv3rinia said:
    i cant believe that people ACTUALLY expect gow's not to have grinding achievements.
    TBH I would expect every game to have at least a couple. There would be no replay value for some games without them.
    In my humble opinion, grinding is the complete opposite of replay value.

Replay value, to me, refers to replaying the game because you enjoy.
    Grinding, to me, refers to replaying the game as a means to achieve something that might be fun but for which the journey isn't (achievement, reaching max level, prestige, etc).

If a game is fun enough, I'll replay it without the need for grindy achievements. I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if grindy achievements were removed from existence.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • ZemidekZemidek371,419
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 17:41
    If they would have moved on from previous gears titles the game would have not been well received at all. People fear change and I feel this is a good way to ease into it.
    Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
  • Nierly CrazyNierly Crazy1,003,467
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 18:35
    I8ITackyticsI8I said:
    When they change it too much people complain. Halo 4 wasn't exactly well received...
    Gears of War: Judgment would've been a much better example.
  • Posted on 06 October 16 at 19:35
    Considering that value for money is how much play time vs how much you paid, and enjoyment factor is the sole factor in play time, what your "humble opinion" is is irrelevant to me
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads