Why Do We Game?
Two hundred seventy-nine hours and counting....MOST PLAYED
Record of Agarest War (360)107 HRS
Deadly Premonition (360)107 HRS
Game Room (XBLA)90 HRS
Final Fantasy XIII (360)81 HRS
Alan Wake (360)57 HRS
Of course I am referring to the infamous Record of Agarest Records.
Thanks to Raptr site, I realized I have spent this chunk of time on this game. I start questioning myself, is it actually worth it? Or do I really have so much fun playing this J-Strategy game? I know I will totally regret for what I have done in this last few months. I don't even want to convert it into days that I spent on playing this.
Reading one article the other day, it explained why people game, it has a long lists of reasoning and break it down into few categories.
(Original can found here. http://www.xeodesign.com/xeodesign_whyweplaygames.pdf
)1. Hard Fun
Emotions from Meaningful Challenges, Strategies, and Puzzles
• Playing to see how good I really am
• Playing to beat the game
• Having multiple objectives
• Requiring strategy rather than luck2. Easy Fun
Grab Attention with Ambiguity, Incompleteness, and Deta
• Exploring new worlds with intriguing people
• Excitement and adventure
• Wanting to figure it out
• Seeing what happens in the story, even if I have to use a walk through
• Feeling like me and my character are one3. Altered States
Generate Emotion with Perception, Thought, Behavior, and Other People
• Clearing my mind by clearing a level
• Feeling better about myself
• Avoiding boredom
• Being better at something that matters4. The People Factor
Create Opportunities for Player Competition, Cooperation, Performance, and Spectacle.
• It’s the people that are addictive not the game.
• I want an excuse to invite my friends over.
• I don’t like playing games, but it’s a fun way to spend time with my friends.
• I don’t play, but it’s fun to watch.
I think the reason why I still game is try to escape from reality and avoid boredom. As Ryuk from Death Notes says, he create death notes just to try to amuse himself from boredom and everything begins from there.
I pick up the controller again and please let me have another round of RoAW.
Posted by hofosim
on 06 October 10 at 10:18
| There are no comments on this blog - Please log in to comment on this blog.