Chances are all of you have heard of the Mario Bros.
games. Chances also are that most of you have not heard of the Giana Sisters
. The game, originally developed for computer systems such as the Commodore 64, was so close in style and substance to Nintendo's Super Mario Bros.
that Nintendo threatened legal action, causing The Great Giana Sisters
to be removed from store shelves a mere week after its release. Unsurprisingly, this also gave the game a cult-like popularity.
Since then, the title has emerged on the DS in the form of Giana Sisters DS
, as well as as an iOS port. Now, 25 years after the release of the original title, a new Giana Sisters
will be coming to XBLA thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign. Dubbed Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
after a period of fan voting, the title will be a platformer that features an Ikaruga
like emphasis on polarity switching gameplay.
In the game, you play as Giana and have the ability to warp her dreams "into a nightmarish world of wonder, changing her abilities and interactions". If that doesn't quite make sense, here's a video and many screens that will hopefully make things a little clearer:
The game's developer, Black Forest Games, which is made up of some of the folks behind the original game, also revealed several game details:- Powerful Abilities: Giana moves through the dream according to her desires and mood. When confronted, she can hammer past or drift on by. You make the call.
- Intuitive Controls and Smooth Gameplay: Controlling Giana is a breeze, but you'll eventually need every trick in her arsenal to defeat the cunning trials ahead.
- Amazing Worlds: Giana's dream worlds leap off the screen with gorgeous 3D graphics and the fantastic alterations of the morph!
- Tons of Cool Interactions: As Giana changes, so does the world around her. Fly with bubblegum, ride conveyor belts, power along with repeaters, hop on springs, and even more.
- Legendary Soundtrack with Chris Hülsbeck and Machinae Supremacy!
- Explore and Discover: There are 16 rich levels across 3 distinct worlds, each transforming into the two dream worlds. Giana's dreams are abound with secret locations.
- Epic Boss Battles: Gigantic creatures from the depths of Giana's most terrifying nightmares are here to play too. Seriously, these guys are just plain brutal!
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
is due for release sometime in 2013.