Trion Worlds' sci-fi MMO, Defiance
, which is adopting a free-to-play strategy, is shooting for a July release date for the Xbox 360. The game has already been re-released under free-to-play on PC, likely done so in time for the debut of Season Two of the game's tie-in SyFy series, but those on consoles will have to wait a little longer.
The game is of course already available for those who would like to purchase it now, and Trion Worlds has outlined a reward package for those who do. Any player who purchases a new box or digital copy of the game will receive the following:
• A grant of 1,000 Arkforge, in-game currency redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading a weapon’s power rating or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity.
• 4 Character Slots, 5 Loadouts, up to 75 Ark Keycodes and a minimum 70 Inventory Slots.
• 30 days of Paradise Patron status; Paradise Patrons are granted:
- Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage and reputation gain rates that stack with the matching boosts available in the store.
- 10% store-wide discount – on boosts, costumes, lock boxes, all of it!
- A grab bag of one-hour boosts or Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes.
So there is at least some incentive to buying the game instead of going with the free-to-play model, but that'll be up to you to decide if it is incentive enough. There is also a new trailer that has been released to promote the start of the new pricing strategy.
Trion Worlds is targeting July 15th, more specifically, for the free-to-play, re-release of Defiance
on the Xbox 360.