On their Twitch stream
, and further expanded upon in the official patch notes
, Respawn unveiled details of Titanfall
's Content Update #8 which will release today. Perhaps the biggest piece of news is the horde mode, named Frontier Defense, that has been revealed. Alongside that the update will contain Ranked Play, other new game modes, 17 new achievements, and an abundance of other patches. Frontier Defense:
This four-player co-op mode will pit waves of increasingly difficult enemies against you, as you defend a vital objective. You won't only be facing the standard Grunts and Spectres, however, but brand new enemies including, Sniper Spectres, Suicide Spectres, Cloak Drones, Nuclear Titans, Mortar Titans, and melee-resistant Arc Titans. The game mode is playable on all 24 of Titanfall
's maps, and each map contains a score challenge for the player to meet to earn the three available stars. Players will be aided by deployable stationary turrets, and can change out their gear on the fly with Loadout Crates near the objective. When a player dies they will respawn in a dropship, and until they are reinserted, they can fire down on the battlefield below, providing support for their allies. Ranked Play:
Launching and running in Beta mode at least through October, Ranked Play will be available to Pilots at Level 32 and above. Each month a new season of Ranked Play will begin, and will challenge players with increasingly challenging sets of Tiers to pass through by out-performing other Pilots. Ranked Play is not a standalone mode, but instead works in all standard competitive matches. In order to get access to the beta, you have to be a Gen 10 Pilot, however, those Pilots are given five invites to send to other players, and three additional invites every day. New Game Modes:
Deadly Ground challenges you to really use your parkour skills, because otherwise you probably won't last long. The floor of these matches will be covered in electrified fog, meaning that option goes right out the window. Available game types will be Hardpoint, Capture the Flag, and Marked for Death. Deadly Ground is set to release on November 5th.
If you're a fan of Marked for Death then you'll probably want to keep an eye out for Marked for Death Pro, which will add round-based intensity. This mode will become available on November 26th.
That is only a taste of what has been outlined in the newest Content Update, but there is plenty more from the patch notes listed below:Sudden Death in CTF
In Capture the Flag if the timer runs out and the scores are tied, the match will go into Sudden Death. Respawning is disabled, the first team to capture the enemy’s flag will win.
For an additional challenge while playing the game, we’ve added 3 stars to obtain in each primary game mode of each map. The stars you earn persist forever and you only have to earn each star once. To earn the star just play a match and reach the indicated score requirement. There are a potential of 504 stars to earn, and new Titan Insignias to unlock for earning a total of 30 stars combined for a game mode. You can view the progress of all Map Stars, and their requirements, in the “Levels” menu under “Personal Stats”.
Full Screen Minimap
To improve coordination among teammates, we’ve added the ability to bring up a full map by pressing Right D-Pad or “M” on the keyboard.
New Titan Insignias
7 new Titan Insignias have been added. 2 for Frontier Defense, 5 for Map Stars completion.
Private Match Burn Card Sets
Instead of using your regular Burn Cards in Private Match, you now specify a set of Burn Cards for the lobby. Each player has access to a copy of this set and may make whatever selections they see fit.
• Fair and Balanced—Set designed for competitive play.
• All Cards—One of every Burn Card.
• No Rares—Every Burn Card, excluding rare cards.
• Ghost Match—Collection of cloak-related cards.
• High Velocity—Collection of stim-related cards.
• Machine War—Spectres…fighting Spectres…with armies of Spectres.
• Fightin’ Titans—Collection of amped Titan weapons, anti-Titan weapons, etc.
• Amped Up—All amped weapons, all the time.
• CTF Competitive—Set designed for competitive Capture the Flag.
• LTS Competitive—Set designed for competitive Last Titan Standing.
• None—No Burn Cards.
Black Market Additions
New Titan OS Voices
This update introduces new Titan OS Voices to buy in the Black Market. Sid is aggressive and dominating, while Vanessa is warm and inviting. In addition, you can purchase Black Market versions of the Betty Titan OS in multiple languages.
Black Market—Forged Certifications
Completing challenges can be hard, but on the Black Market, cheaters always win. This update lets you buy “Forged Certifications” which allow you to skip all five tiers of a challenge. You won’t receive any of the rewards for those challenges. Be careful, though—there is a new Xbox Live Achievement, “Too Legit To Quit” (0 points), to reach Gen 10 the old fashioned way—without skipping any regen challenges! Players who are already Gen 10 will also receive the challenge retroactively. Skipping a challenge that is not a regen requirement will not affect the achievement.
New Features (X1)
17 new Achievements
- Gotta pop ’em all! Are you a bad enough dude or dudette to get all 2000 cheevo points?
New Features (PC)
- New graphics quality settings: TXAA and HBAO
- Got the GPU horsepower to take your game to the next level? Switch on HBAO for increased realism and shadows, and if you’re rocking a supported NVIDIA GPU you can also enable TXAA (2X or 4X) for increased fidelity.
Improvements and Optimizations
- Load times are now significantly faster.
- Specifically the time it takes to get from the main menu to a private lobby has been greatly reduced as well as the time to get from the game back into the lobby at the end of a match.
- The load screen now displays the correct map name and game mode as early as possible. We managed to remove the delay before the next level showed up, and fixed bugs where the previous map and gamemode showed up in the load screen instead of the correct values.
- Decal rendering optimizations were applied.
- The daily challenge menu now has a countdown telling you when new daily challenges will be available.
- When abandoning a daily challenge, the selection will no longer return to the top of the list.
- Changed the music that plays on the last round of LTS.
Black Market Prices
- Some item prices have been adjusted to align better with the rate at which people earn Credits.
Marked For Death
- During the countdown, the player who will be marked is highlighted to his friendly teammates by an in-world icon and a minimap icon.
- When you become the marked player, you now gain full minimap vision. (Previously, it gave you minimap vision of all players, but not AI). We’ve added a visual callout for this in the form of a bonus Burn Card indicator.
Rematch Burn Card
- This is now disabled for use in Last Titan Standing.
- Decreased the amount of time between using the card and respawning.
Weapon Burn Card Cancelled
- The “Burn Card Cancelled” message has been modified to indicate if the killed player was actively wielding an amped weapon at the time of their death.
Burn Card Overflow Protection
- You will no longer earn Burn Cards from kills if your total deck size has fewer than 16 free slots. You will still earn Burn Cards for all other activities such as completing challenges or successfully evacuating. This is to protect against excessive Burn Card overflow.
- Toned down frequency of VO that tells you if the score lead has increased or decreased.
- Shots fired without silencers will now make you appear on the minimap of all enemy players. Previously this was only up to a distance of 4000 units.
Bug Fixes (All Platforms)
- Fixed artifacts due to interactions between Titan shields and particles.
- Made challenge descriptions easier to read in the challenges menu.
- Fixed some missing or incorrect data in the last game summary menu after playing in a private match
- Fix unsilenced Smart Pistols never showing up on the minimap.
- Fixed a bug where the Extra Dash Burn Card could remove the Big Punch mod from Titans.
- Fixed a bug where Gen10 players using Roll the Dice with a full Burn Card deck could overflow their available space.
- Fixed minor variance in Titan shield regeneration time.
- Fixed a bug where you could change your Titan’s loadout in the middle of its life, if your Pilot had just respawned.
- Fixed a few cases where Titans could fly further than expected.
- Fix view pop when rodeo-ing a Titan that then gets embarked.
- Fixed a rare case where a neck snap might not neck snap.
- Fixed getting under the map in Nexus due to nuclear eject.
- Fixed rodeo animations getting cancelled suddenly due to a player embarking into his Titan.
- Fixed Titan warnings for incoming hostile Titanfall and getting rodeoed not playing sometimes.
- Fixed timer-to-next-Titan sometimes not displaying after respawning.
- Fixed cases of missing attacker kill credit. When a Pilot suicides, if enemy player damaged them recently, that player now gets kill credit.
- Fixed refractive effects in VDU.
- Fixed menu navigation issues when level 50 in the challenges menu
- The next map images in lobbies will properly clear when going in between menus.
- Fixed a bug where your loadouts would look unchanged after editing a custom loadout.
- Frame hitch when Pilot connects or disconnects.
Bug Fixes (X1)
- Fixed hitch when connecting to server.
- Fixed hitch when other players connect or disconnect.