is stepping down as News Manager.
Aero has been a fantastic manager for the news team, having completely transformed the department to help bring you guys all the latest 360 and achievement-related news hot off the press! Aero no longer has enough spare time to dedicate to the role, but will still be seen around the site and on Live.
who will be replacing him as News Team Manager. Zigs already has a ton of experience in the department and has some great ideas for how we can make it even better.
Part of that process will be with an injection of new Newshound blood, so let me hand you over to zigs for the details....
, and I'll be taking over from Aerodynamo as the manager of the Newshound team.
I've been a Newshound for close to a year now, and in that time I've watched the entire team improve tenfold and the quality of our output improve twenty-fold. I really feel like the team has gone from strength to strength over the last twelve months - and I hope I'm not alone in saying that!
Having said that, there's still a lot of room for improvement. Without wanting to dwell on the negatives too much, one of the biggest problems I think we suffer is the inability to cover all the news we should be. There's news that too often slips through the cracks, which is a shame. But, it's also understandable! The entire team work on a voluntary basis, and everyone has jobs and real lives to worry about more than the news here.
There's some other issues here and there, and some other big ideas that I'm hoping to implement, but I'll keep those tricks hidden up my sleeve for now. You'll just have to wait and see, folks...
So to put it simply, I'm looking for more Newshounds! I'm hoping that by hiring a bunch of new newsies we'll be able to cover more news and cater to every Xbox 360 audience. I'm not sure what the ideal number is, and maybe it'll take a bit of trial and error to find that, but the idea is to have a total of around twenty Newshounds - so that's roughly twelve spots that need filled!
On that same train of thought, I'm hoping to expand the team to cover as wide a range as possible. So, while writing skills are no doubt more important, I am hoping to get newshounds from a wider range of timezones, and with a bigger variety in tastes, etc. It shines through the articles when the writer really cares about the game/franchise in question, and is passionate and knowledgeable about it, so it'd be brilliant if we could have an entire team of people passionate about every genre and type of game, and cover every single base. That might be a bit too idealistic, but let's aim high!
Okay, I'm done waffling. If you think you are a good writer with a firm grasp on how to write and source news posts, then apply by sending me a PM with the subject line "Newshound Application" and including the following information:
• Your location and timezone
• How much time you spend on the site on an average day (or how much you'd be willing/able to). It'd also be useful to know what time of day that usually is/would be
• Your reason(s) for wanting to be a Newshound, and what you think would make you a good addition to the team
• Which games, genres or franchises you're most knowledgeable about, or are the biggest fan of. This isn't essential -- and I would want newshounds to be willing to write about every game -- but it'd be useful to know what sort of games you are most passionate about. I'd ideally like to take on enough people passionate about every genre, which would hopefully give us the highest calibre of news posts
• A brief explanation of how you would generally go about discovering a piece of news and what you would do before or while writing it
• Do you have any previous experiences with writing news, or any other sort of professional writing? If so, please provide some examples that I could check out.
• Any suggestions you have about the current news. Are there any things that you'd want to change about the news if you were on the team? Do you think there are any flaws in the way we write and post the news currently?
Finally, and probably most importantly, please include a sample news post. Doesn't matter what the story is, but the newer the better I suppose. Remember to include a title and strapline like all our news has, as well as correct sourcing for the information. I'm trying to keep those instructions as brief and as vague as possible because this will be the real test for you potential new Newshounds.
Okay, I think that pretty much covers it! Applications will close on the 25th and If you have any questions about these applications or the Newshounds in general, feel free to message me and I'll try answer them.
I'm really excited to be taking over as the Newshound Manager, and really looking forward to seeing how much we can keep improving the news!
And just as a final note: as I'm sure a lot of you know, I'm very active on the site on a day-to-day basis, and I'll always be around to field any news or Newshound-related questions, queries, suggestions, complaints or anything you guys have to say. My inbox is always open, so feel free to send me a message whenever you like, and I'll do my best to respond!
I would like to wish zigs all the best in his new role and also to thank the other applicants for taking the time to send us some great applications - unfortunately there could only be one winner in this case.