It's been a busy week for Cryptic Studios and their MMORPG Neverwinter
with the release the game's eighth expansion "Underdark
". We also have the announcement of the ninth - "The Maze Engine".
In conjunction with the release of "Underdark", screenshots, a trailer and details about what will be in the expansion have all been released.• 10-player encounter with the two-headed demon lord, Demogorgon
• Adventure alongside iconic Dungeons & Dragons characters including Drizzt Do’Urden, Bruenor Battlehammer and Regis in a new questline, "The Dwarven King", written by New York Times Best-Selling Author R.A. Salvatore
• All-new campaign including new in-game rewards inspired by the Rage of Demons storyline from Wizards of the Coast
• Mantol-Derith, a new non-combat adventurer hub found in the Underdark
• Two new end-game skirmishes, each with two different ways to achieve victory
• Rifts in the Abyssal plane now summon Demonic encounters throughout the Sword Coast adding variety to open-world Heroic Encounters
• Updates to the Trade Bar Store allowing easier access to items and economy adjustments
• Gear Preview allows players to see how all equippable items will look on their characters
• Additional Strongholds content including a new resource plot and PvP tower
• Artifact weapons can be reforged into new artifact weapons via double refinement above rank 15
• Masterwork Items now obtainable from endgame Professions tasks
• Boons tied to successfully quelling demonic presence in the Underdark campaign
"The Maze Engine" will then follow on from the events of "Underdark". After stopping Demogorgon, Baphomet and Orcus - two new demon lords - will be the latest threats for players to deal with. To defeat them, players will team with famous heroes, including Drizzt Do’Urden, Minsc, Bruenor Battlehammer, Regis, and more. "The Maze Engine" will also see the return of five reworked dungeons as well as various other gameplay updates that include a new campaign, an improved queuing system and The Stable, a system that will allow for more customization of mounts.
"Underdark" is playable now in Neverwinter
on Xbox One, while "The Maze Engine" will have to wait until after the PC release in Spring.