If you've been spending time in the world of ARK: Survival Evolved
, which is currently a part of Xbox One's Game Preview Program, have you enjoyed your time with the online survival arena in the game? Well, developer Studio Wildcard must be keeping a lot of people entertained with the game's mod as the team has now announced that the Mod will be launching as a free standalone title packed with "ELO ranking, match-making, leaderboards, pro-tier monthly cash prizes, and more".
The dinosaur survival offering will be coming to the competitive realm of eSports as up to 72 combatants will fight to the death in Hunger Games
style competitions within a closed battlefield. Jesse Rapczak, co-founder and co-creative director of Studio Wildcard has taken feedback from players on board:Following the success of the tournaments we hosted last fall, we saw valuable community feedback about other competitive features they wanted to see implemented. Now with shorter matches, four new game modes, rapid dino taming and more, we felt it was time to let people come in to test it for themselves. Not only can you play for free, but we’re offering cash prizes for the top players in each Survivor League, so ARK survivors can potentially start playing their favorite game professionally!
If you're not much of a lone-wolf in this dinosaur-filled world, then never fear. Survivors can group up with friends to form Tribes of up to six players and then dive into Unofficial or Official (ranked) servers with different options available for game-lengths and sizes. Players will then begin in the base forest environment, originally introduced in ARK: Survival Evolved
. New environments and creatures will be introduced often as the game evolves.
Here's a list of the key features included in the upcoming multiplayer online survival arena:• Free, action-packed core survival gameplay
• 30+ creatures to tame and ride at Early Access start, many more planned at full launch
• Multiple game modes (1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 6v6)
• One-to-six player tribes
• Variable game configurations ranging from 30-minute “instant action” to three-hour long “epic wars”
• Top-ranked players are listed dynamically on SurviveTheArk.com, as well as provided monthly prize packages!
• Game-changing tameable super creatures (Dragon, Giant Ape, Brood Mother)
• Random “Evolution Events”
• Arsenal of weapons, traps, armor, structures and other items from primitive to modern tech tiers
• Robust ranking, tournament and spectator features
• Exclusive SotF cosmetic items that can also be used in ARK: Survival Evolved
• Custom-painted “War Banners” enable tribes to show off their team spirit on flags across their army of dinosaurs, and are also broadcast on the gigantic billboards during game events. Just don’t draw anything offensive!
• A custom soundtrack written by award-winning composer Gareth Coker of Ori and the Blind Forest!
Kill reports, a large variety of dinosaurs, survivors and plenty more can be seen in the newly released screens:
Take a look at the reveal trailer and see if you fancy your chances in the deadly arena:
To finish up, we get to take an inside look at the development of the game as well as the upcoming standalone multiplayer offering:
ARK: Survival of the Fittest
is available right now via Steam Early Access and is "in development" for consoles. The specific consoles that are included are yet to be revealed.