Slightly Mad Studios is the developer known by Xbox 360 gamers as the people behind Need for Speed: SHIFT
. They have a new project in the works though. Back in October 2011, the studio announced the WMD Portal, otherwise known as the World of Mass Development portal. This allows upcoming developers to submit their game ideas to an active gaming community, which helps the developer to raise funds for the project, gives them continuous feedback, helps with promotion and can allow other developers to offer advice. Meanwhile, players can browse the projects that are currently in development and can join those in which they are interested. This allows players to download and play regular builds of the game and give feedback directly to the developers, eventually being rewarded with cash in return for their contribution.
The first project to come out of this initiative is Project C.A.R.S.
. If the name hasn't already given you a clue as to what the game may be about, it is a racing simulation featuring many different classes of cars. Here is a breakdown of the game's main features:
THE ULIMATE DRIVER JOURNEY...
• FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!
• Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver
• FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT... Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!
• Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you've never seen before!
• Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage
• DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging
• 10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport
• CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content
• USER-GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world - either for free, in-game credits or even real money!
• PUSHING TO THE LIMITS - Advanced physics, lighting, and AI
The latest community update brought a plethora of new screenshots, showing a variety of cars and tracks that are available in the current build of the game. These impressive graphics are not pre-rendered; the screenshots are taken from in-game footage:
Earlier this week, the January Community trailer was also released, with plenty of gameplay footage for you to feast on:Project C.A.R.S.
is due to be released in 2013 on PC. The developer is hoping to bring the game on to the Xbox 360 after the release of the PC version.